The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree20Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 02:00 PM

scout1 is on a distinguished road
Default Handled the Sage Mod yesterday.

Well yesterday I drove to the Valley of the Sun and found a Sage Mod to handle. I did not cast it but rather chose to preform the scientific "wiggle" test. It certainly felt like it falls between the Circa and the One but, or should I say BUT. The metal hardware on the reel seat, to me, looks really really cheap looking. The shop that I went to also had a Approach and a Response, and the hardware on these two rods looked much nicer then that on the Mod. I'm not sure what Sage is doing but in conjunction with the color choice and the hardware for the MOD I think they really screwed the pooch. Very disappointed and needless to say I walked out without purchasing a thing.

PS. I did order the Sage One 486 this morning online.

Jim
Old 08-22-2015, 02:16 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future
Default Re: Handled the Sage Mod yesterday.

Try the new Bolt!
Old 08-22-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Try the new Bolt!
In what reguard?
Old 08-22-2015, 02:37 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

BOLT - All Water Fly Rods | Sage Fly Fishing
Old 08-22-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I think I'm hearing you, the color? And it's hard to tell from the photo but the hardware looks like it could be the same.

I had gone into the Valley for a couple of reasons;

One was to hopefully find a Mod to handle. Boy am I glad I did before blindly ordering one.

Second was to possibly trade my very lightly used ( about 6 times ) Sage One 490 for a One 486. But they didn't have a 486 and their offer for my 490 was ****. So I will either keep my 490 or sell it privately providing I like the One 486.

Jim
Old 08-22-2015, 07:23 PM

sndmn11 is just really nicesndmn11 is just really nicesndmn11 is just really nicesndmn11 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1 View Post
in conjunction with the color choice and the hardware for the MOD I think they really screwed the pooch
Really?
I don't see how a rod's blank color and the anodizing color of the same aluminum reel seat hardware they use on their other konnetic and gen5 rods tells anyone that the performance equates to screwing the pooch. How can you come to that conclusion without more than a "scientific 'wiggle' test'?
haligator and smilingduck like this.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:31 PM

I have not shot the Mod, the Bolt however is insane. The 690 is a tool.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:36 PM

sndmn11 is just really nicesndmn11 is just really nicesndmn11 is just really nicesndmn11 is just really nice

Quote:
I have not shot the Mod, the Bolt however is insane. The 690 is a tool.
Interpretation=you don't like the 690 Bolt after casting it?
Old 08-22-2015, 08:58 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough

The wiggle test is the most useless and inaccurate way to test a fly rod,all it does is set up harmonic motion through the fly rod from tip to butt.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndmn11 View Post
Really?
I don't see how a rod's blank color and the anodizing color of the same aluminum reel seat hardware they use on their other konnetic and gen5 rods tells anyone that the performance equates to screwing the pooch. How can you come to that conclusion without more than a "scientific 'wiggle' test'?
I'm not sure how you came too the conclusion that I felt the rod would not preform well as I said nothing of the sort. Also I said nothing about not liking the color of the anodizing. The metal itself appeared cheap. And many here besides myself have expressed displeasure over Sage's color choices for their rods of late. Also I myself have stated, in other threads, that I considered rods a tool and if they preformed well that I could learn to live with the rod color.

Jim

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndmn11 View Post
Really?
Also the reel seat metal is not the same that is used on the One or the Circa. I am not speaking of color but rather the type of parts themselves.

Jim

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonwt View Post
The wiggle test is the most useless and inaccurate way to test a fly rod,all it does is set up harmonic motion through the fly rod from tip to butt.
I was being sarcastic by stating using the wiggle test and felt that most would recognize that fact. Apparently some did not.

Jim
Closed Thread