The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 06:20 PM

afdavis11 is on a distinguished road
Default I'm Going Light, What's your Limit?

Okay, so I fish small streams for small fish. Tons of fun. I started with a 6 weight and liked it, I went to a 5 weight and it was great. I bought a 4 weight and now I'm in heaven. But, it occurred to me that there might be even more fun out there.

I'm considering a 3 weight. Okay, I won't lie I'm thinking about buying a 2 weight.

What happens if I go "too" low? What about a 0 weight? How do you define too light?

Will my casting distance suffer? Will the rod snap in half? Will I become so giddy that I can't concentrate? What happens when I go "too" low in rod weight? What's your limit, what happened when you reached it, and how should I define the lightest rod weight I should purchase?
r reese likes this.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:47 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Re: I'm Going Light, What's your Limit?

My opinion only, for what its worth. 0 to 2 weight wind will eat u up and fly size will matter. I love my 3 and 4 weights. for all fish cold water and warm. have landed some very good fish and fly size and wind is much better to deal with. I do not own anything longer than 7 ft and nothing heaver than 4 wt. works for me from Arkansas to Colorado.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:57 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

None of the above. What you will sacrifice is line control going lighter than 4-weight. Lower than #4 you get inadequate line mass to mend, roll and in general, present flies with any authority. 4-weights are a lot of fun and I fish several different ones for varied habitats but lighter line weights than that I find counter-useful which does not mean others may not find them enjoyable.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:36 PM

sndmn11 is just really nicesndmn11 is just really nicesndmn11 is just really nicesndmn11 is just really nicesndmn11 is just really nice

What distances and size flies?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:33 PM

huntschool is a glorious beacon of lighthuntschool is a glorious beacon of lighthuntschool is a glorious beacon of lighthuntschool is a glorious beacon of lighthuntschool is a glorious beacon of light

I guess my thought agree with S&S.

I fish a bunch of 4 wts. along with a 3 wt. and a 2 wt. The 3 and the 2 have their place in my fishing but..... its small stream low wind stuff. I love my 3 wt. and fish it a bunch on Missouri Ozark streams and even rivers but its quite special water and dry flys or at worst a single nymph.

In the right place at the right time they work for me. I have cast stuff smaller and I guess for those that might be blue lining brook trout on Eastern Mtn streams they could be ok as well as some blue gill holes they might be a lot of fun but in general not for everyday stuff.

So, all that being said I think I would suggest sticking with a 4 wt. as my small rod.......

JMHO
hairwing530 and glacierjohn like this.
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Old 10-05-2015, 10:38 PM

james w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of lightjames w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of lightjames w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of lightjames w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of lightjames w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of lightjames w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of light

There's a forum like this one called "ultralight fly fishing . Com"
Just as helpful and passionate group as we have here.
Really worth checking out.
That being said, I just love fishing my 2wt. A 3wt is just too close to the 4wt to be really different.

Since this is for small streams casting distance isn't really an issue, nor is wind at these distances unless it's just howling. The great advantage is how lightly a 2wt line lands on the water in that skinny water 😀.
And no, if it's a decent rod you won't break it. If you hook a outsized fish in a small stream (it happens, you'll be surprised!) you just point the rod more towards the fish instead of bending it in a U until it breaks.

IMHO there's nothing more fun than small streams, small fish, and an UL fly rod. Side benefit, most guys drive past where we fish . . . ahhhh, solitude.
jonbo likes this.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:11 PM

smilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of light

Just don't fart with anything less then a #4 weight you will get blown off the water!
Old 10-05-2015, 11:42 PM

wineshark will become famous soon enough

I really think it depends primarily on two things. First, the rod: there's a huge difference between a Winston WT 7 foot 3 weight and a Sage or Scott or ??? 3 wt, as can be said for almost any "weight" of fly rod. Second, what's your style? Pinpoint accuracy, all dries, occasional wet or tiny nymph, and so on. Your line preference plays into this as well, and is very crucial on a lighter rig. Overlining a light rod will take the joy out of it, but on the other hand, if you need to load the rod at short distances and it's a "faster" rod, maybe you use something a little heavy like Rio Gold.

Given that it's smaller water you're on, I'd give serious consideration to S&S's perspective - he knows of what he speaks. Above all, you do want control, so for my 2 cents, I wouldn't go lighter than a 3 weight (and I love my WT). Just don't expect it to do what a more muscular 4 weight can accomplish.
jonbo likes this.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

The lightest rod I own is a 3wt (actually I own three in varying lengths) and the lightest rod I have ever cast is a 2wt. The 2wt was absolutely useless against even a light wind, and I often upline my 3wt rods with 4wt lines, especially when fishing still water. The 3wt rods are fine for small water fishing and under the right circumstances lighter gear has its place, but I tend to agree with S&S that 4wt is the lower limit for true line control and versatility. Most of my fresh water fishing is done with 4, 5 and 6wts.
glacierjohn likes this.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:09 AM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

I too, started with a 6wt., then a 4, which is my go to. A few years ago I received a 2 wt., which, under the right conditions is a joy. I can't cast a dry/ dropper with it, but on small streams and small flies, it's great.