The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2015, 09:15 PM

mjk87 is on a distinguished road
Default Rod opinions. Did I get a deal?

Hey everybody,

Long time lurker and first time poster here. Wanted to get some opinions from you guys. Ive been looking at the Scott g2 8'4" 4wt for a little while now. Having a hard time stomaching the +$700 price. Ive been fishing an 804 Scott A4 for a little while now and really like the rod but on the spring creek here in Western Maryland that I fish regularly I think that a full flex action would benefit me greatly. I read a couple reviews on the Orvis Superfine Carbon rods and a couple people had said that they were comparable to the G2. I don't have an Orivis dealer in the area to go throw one so I took a chance on eBay today. I picked up an 804 Superfine Carbon for $280. Do you all think I got a deal? The rod is slightly used but in great shape. Seller told me he never registered the warranty so he would send me the card to send in. $280 vs $425 I thought it was a shot worth taking. What do you guys think?
Old 12-18-2015, 09:45 PM

marky3130 is a jewel in the roughmarky3130 is a jewel in the roughmarky3130 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rod opinions. Did I get a deal?

All that matters is that you are happy with your purchase.

I find the classifieds section of Washington fly fishing forums to be a great source of used fly gear. It's popular nation wide and is very active.

That orvis is a great rod by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:54 PM

mikechell is on a distinguished road

My most expensive rod cost me $129.00. It took all my will power to put the money down for that one.
I am on the water over 100 days a year ... and I love my $100 or less rods.

I do not understand the desire to spend huge amounts of money on fishing equipment.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:54 PM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

1-Great first post!
2-I think you'll find that you have bought one fine rod for your spring creek.
3-You got an outstanding deal. Many of us are always on the lookout for something like you just pulled off. Kudos!
Old 12-18-2015, 10:05 PM

scotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant future

Yes, you got a great deal. I have the same rod and for the streams & creeks here, it's a fun rod. Do not use heavy nymphs. That rod is a dry fly rod.
hairwing530 and haligator like this.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:20 PM

mka is a splendid one to beholdmka is a splendid one to beholdmka is a splendid one to beholdmka is a splendid one to beholdmka is a splendid one to beholdmka is a splendid one to beholdmka is a splendid one to beholdmka is a splendid one to behold

That's a great buy MKJ...I'm betting you are really going to like the rod. I have two 804 Superfines that are earlier models than yours and really enjoy them.

-Mike
hairwing530 and haligator like this.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:12 PM

Thanks for all the input. I can't wait until it gets here. With Christmas coming it might take a little while longer. The good thing about spring creeks is that they fish well all winter.

My first rod was a Redington Classic Trout 3wt that is still a great rod but hardly gets fished since I bought the A4 at a local shop. I must admit that after buying that rod though I have developed a weakness for American made rods. Unfortunately they cost a lot of money. I bought a 6wt Scott Tidal for throwing streamers and smallmouth fishing in the summer that I haven't gotten to fish yet. I just can't seem to pull myself away from the spring creek. I'm thinking that when it comes to american rods it might be wiser to buy used before I go broke lol.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:31 PM

scotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant future

mjk87, you and I are alike on our rod selections. I also am a fan of the Scott A4, ( I have 3 of them ), plus 2 Classic trout rods as well as the Orvis Superfine Touch, which is now the carbon.

But to the Scott G2, my favorite, and others as well, the 8' 8" 4wt is the sweet one out of the bunch. Totally up to you though, this is your choice, not anyone else's.
hairwing530 and rockriver like this.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:29 PM

glacierjohn is a name known to allglacierjohn is a name known to allglacierjohn is a name known to allglacierjohn is a name known to allglacierjohn is a name known to allglacierjohn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
My most expensive rod cost me $129.00. It took all my will power to put the money down for that one.
I am on the water over 100 days a year ... and I love my $100 or less rods.

I do not understand the desire to spend huge amounts of money on fishing equipment.
We are truly living in the golden age of fly rods, you can find very nice fishing rods at every price point. That said, most of us don't have a desire to spend huge amounts on our tackle, we just have reached a point where we can afford it, and though the difference isn't as great as it once was, there is still something really special about a Scott G2, Radian or any of a number of top flight hand built fly rods.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:51 PM

The rod came in the mail today and all I can say is WOW! I must admit I was a little nervous after casting my buddy's 4wt clearwater the other day but this rod is completely different! Ive never been able to throw as tight of loops as I can with this rod and it loads with only about 12" of fly line out of the rod tip! I can't wait to take it out on the stream! This rod completely makes me rethink slow action full flex rods! I can't say I've ever felt a rod as smooth other than the scott g2 I've been casting regularly at the local fly shop. I really can't tell much of a difference. The guy at the local shop told me that you have to pay big $$$ if you want that kind of action out of a graphite rod. Seem not to be true. This makes me rethink Orvis as well. Im extremely happy with the purchase and can't believe the condition the rod is in. The cork grip isn't even stained!. Not bad for $280