The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 7 Post By deceiverbob
  • 4 Post By james w 3 3
  • 3 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By deceiverbob
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By deceiverbob
  • 1 Post By lake flyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2015, 08:28 AM

deceiverbob has a spectacular aura aboutdeceiverbob has a spectacular aura aboutdeceiverbob has a spectacular aura about
Default Auction house score

I've mentioned my broken Sage 589-5 SP several times on here. While Sage replaced it with a newer model I still missed the old rod. I occasionally checked the big site for to see if any were for sale but most were either bid up past my self imposed limit rather quickly (it seems as though these rods are still popular) or the reserve was set too high to start. This week one was there, this time paired with an Abel pt.5 reel, a reel I have wanted in the past. I made a bid and the rod and reel should find their way to my door step on the 7th. I really want to cast this rod along side the 586 ZXL.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:05 AM

james w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Auction house score

Congratulations!

Discipline and patience are the key, as you've so well described.
But sometimes, every once in a great while, it's like "bonus Christmas".
Old 12-28-2015, 10:06 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, I saw that listing and thought it was a great deal. I paid more for both items separately and can tell you those purchases were in line with what you might expect on the 2nd hand market. Your deal bested those purchases.

You know all about that rod so I'll focus on the Pt.5. You're going to find that it is a wonderful and very capable reel. I believe it a better match for a 4wt because of the smaller diameter but the heft of it should balance a 5wt just fine.

Is this your first Abel? If you don't already have some, make sure you get neatsfoot oil, you'll want to make sure the cork gets some every now and then. The back of the spool will give you an idea of how badly it needs a treatment. A little goes a long way. Also, make sure you back off the drag when you're done with it just as you would with spring & pawl reels.

Comparing that to ZXL 586. I think you'll find the ZXL to be a more progressive taper and a quicker than the SP which has that buttery smooth soft tip and stout butt. The SP is an obvious classic from the golden age of Sage's rods. I've not picked up a ZXL that I didn't like either. I hope you don't have to make the choice to keep just one of them
Old 12-28-2015, 12:37 PM

deceiverbob has a spectacular aura aboutdeceiverbob has a spectacular aura aboutdeceiverbob has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Congratulations, I saw that listing and thought it was a great deal. I paid more for both items separately and can tell you those purchases were in line with what you might expect on the 2nd hand market. Your deal bested those purchases.

You know all about that rod so I'll focus on the Pt.5. You're going to find that it is a wonderful and very capable reel. I believe it a better match for a 4wt because of the smaller diameter but the heft of it should balance a 5wt just fine.

Is this your first Abel? If you don't already have some, make sure you get neatsfoot oil, you'll want to make sure the cork gets some every now and then. The back of the spool will give you an idea of how badly it needs a treatment. A little goes a long way. Also, make sure you back off the drag when you're done with it just as you would with spring & pawl reels.

Comparing that to ZXL 586. I think you'll find the ZXL to be a more progressive taper and a quicker than the SP which has that buttery smooth soft tip and stout butt. The SP is an obvious classic from the golden age of Sage's rods. I've not picked up a ZXL that I didn't like either. I hope you don't have to make the choice to keep just one of them
I have an Abel No. 2, Super 6, and Super 8 along with a Tibor Freestone, so I am familiar with the care and feeding of these types of reels. When Sage sent the ZXL they returned the tube sock and spare tip for the SP. It was as if the empty rod tube created a vacuum that had to be filled. Also it's not an "either-or" type of thing. Both rods will be retained and fished, more for warmwater panfish than for trout.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:54 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Auction house score

Sorry about the instructional aspect of my post. Had I know you've already got your fair share of Abels I'd have omitted that part. These SP's are special rods, it's great to know that you found another one to replace your previous model. I think you did really, really well on your purchase. Enjoy that sweet setup.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:26 PM

No need for the apology, it may help some else. Besides it's a good reminder, probably getting close to the time I need to check my reels anyway.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 AM

lake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceiverbob View Post
No need for the apology, it may help some else. Besides it's a good reminder, probably getting close to the time I need to check my reels anyway.
Glad jaybo posted the maintenance too. I have two Abels and need to check them out, h aving never done anything with the drags.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Do you remember your first rod and reel you purchased with your own money? Old Boo brought back to me from Japan by 'Mom's Boy Friend.' Wood box, reel, some crappy line, what the hell flies, I was on my bike like a shot down to "Green Lake" in north Seattle. Damned if I didn't catch fish ... now how the hell to get them home to Mom.

A "Ah moment!" Strung fly line through their gills, strung on the bike handle bars, home again! Glop of butter, Pan fried with red patato's, FEAST OF THE GODS for my Mom.

A 60 year wander back.

For Mom:

Proper table cloth, china plates, cloth napkins, forks/knifes, we had two sets, but all we needed. A mind wander, but at times 'two' is all you need. "Mom's" are exceptional people. "Anne Evans:" One hell of a girl. I was there the night she passed, hospital people rolled in a folding bed and I was holding her hand.

All that sounds like a 'mind wonder,' but when Mom and I entered the United States she had $36.00, I had some Canadian pocket change. 9632 Aroura Ave North in Seattle was our address for several years. No heat, just put on more clothing and bath in school. She was a Nurse so she bathed at the Hospital.

Ya-Ya sounds like a sob story, but I got good grades, three Master's Degrees. Mom was on my arm when they handed her the papers. Proud, very proud.

Interesting to look back, Daughters graduation dinner ... to waiter: "This is all on me." Can't remember how many of her classmates, but cost me a small fortune. Pizza place, beers, "You'd better check ID's." Guy laughed, "All ready have, served them soda's."

Son didn't even invite me/wife to graduation.