The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By wineshark
  • 2 Post By james w 3 3
  • 2 Post By spurly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2015, 08:32 PM

spurly is on a distinguished road
Default Hardy Wraith

Just wondering if anybody has handled this new Hardy rod? They say it is ultrafast, like a Sage Method.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:34 AM

tcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hardy Wraith

Spurly,

Try using the search function there was a discussion on this rod not to long ago,

New Hardy Zephyrs and Hardy Wraith Review
Old 01-01-2016, 01:43 AM

wineshark will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure, but I think the best review of this is that it is very expensive but does little more than the discontinued Zenith. Sorry, a friend of mine is a Hardy dealer. Maybe somebody else will chime in and convince us all that spending more money gets more fish. I've kind of gotten tired of that spiel, to be honest.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:42 AM

james w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of lightjames w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of lightjames w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of lightjames w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of lightjames w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of lightjames w 3 3 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineshark View Post
I'm not sure, but I think the best review of this is that it is very expensive but does little more than the discontinued Zenith. Sorry, a friend of mine is a Hardy dealer. Maybe somebody else will chime in and convince us all that spending more money gets more fish. I've kind of gotten tired of that spiel, to be honest.
Well said!
One of my old saltwater acquaintances is a major manufacturer of lures. His retailers expect new models and new colors every year because "new" spurs sales. The fishing tackle business is about making more money far more than catching more fish.
More and more I find myself appreciating some of the high-end older rods. The fact that I can own them for a relative pittance is awesome.
jofer and eastfly66 like this.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:30 AM

fishguy613 is on a distinguished road

I fished a 10' #8 Wraith for some Chinook a couple months ago, just before they released. My impression was good, felt really similar to a zenith just with more reserve power. It's got a softish tip for an ultra fast rod, definitely more so than a method.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:35 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineshark View Post
As I wrote in the previous thread about this micro-rod series (9'/#5 - 8) which remains unchanged is I have yet to even see these new Hardys. That will change the end of this month at the Somerset Show following which I will write about my initial impressions...I can't review this or any rod until I have spent quality time actually fishing it.

A fly rod, no matter how new or old, costly or inexpensive, does NOT catch fish...anglers catch fish. Everyone knows this. What a fly rod does do is enhances (or not) an angler's casting and presentation techniques and enjoyment of the fishing experience. As my personal style of dry fly fishing involves a high line speed type of presentation and new Wraith is alleged to excel in this category, I am more excited to sample it than any other new rod that has been introduced recently. It also embodies the creative design and material science of Hardy's Howard Croston and his team, a great caster/angler and an emerging top-shelf designer.

Could Wraith catch me more trout than my current #1, ONE? Unlikely, but if it improves over the Sage in precision of presentation and communication by even a little bit then it is more than worth whatever its price is.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:16 PM

spurly is on a distinguished road

Was at was at the fly show in Calgary, and had an opportunity to try the two rods I was most interested in. The sage Method and the Hardy Wraith.both in 5 wt. It was a very busy show, so I only had a few minutes with each rod.I tried the method first, very little attention was paid to fit and finish on either rod due to time restraints. The Method was was like a cannon, it shot the line out smoothly, but
I kind of had to pay attention to what I was doing, as well as work a bit to get the line out, distance was no problem, although the rod lacked a bit of feel closer in. A very nice rod.

The wraith, as soon as I picked it up, it felt a bit lighter in my hand, swing weight seemed a bit lighter.distance took very little effort at all. This rod was like a laser beam, you only had to look at where you wanted your cast to go, and it was there.very little effort, required. A bit more flex in the tip of this rod, in compared to the method, but still a little stiff for close in work.

The dealer in my area is getting in a 6 wt. so that I can spend a bit of time with it before I make my decision, but I think the 6 wt. will make a fantastic Stillwater rod for me.The 5 wt is also a great rod, but might be too much for the smaller creeks and rivers that I fish.
sweetandsalt and geordie41 like this.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:22 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, Spurly, above, uses a similar analogy to one I employed describing Method#6 in my piece under Reviews, above. See the rising trout and the fly was in front of it...I barely knew I cast. However, it is true that the current flagship Sage rods, ONE and Method are hardly automatic...they both require focused engagement in the casting process to reveal their remarkable performance capabilities. Hardy's Howard Croston's designs are different based on popular Zenith...a very capable, yes, but also an intuitive rod to cast well. This is a large part of the appeal of Zenith and also why it has been widely analyzed and even imitated (to only a degree of success) by several other rod makers. Will Wraith eclipse Zenith other than in elevated price (I doubt new Hardy will ever duplicate the in-line cosmetic change resulting in bargain basement pricing on their new top rods)...stay tuned to this channel for comments following the Somerset Show. I do hope the two feet of snow melt so I can take this rod outside.