The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 07:28 PM

uneke is on a distinguished road
Default Which way to go?

Living in Oklahoma I only have two areas to trout fish when the heat hits. I am very new to fly fishing and was wondering if there was a rod that does well for both trout, smallmouth bass, and mabye even on the lake? I also thought it might be best to get a seperate outfit for each. I would greatly appreciate any help.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Which way to go?

A good 5 to 6wt should work for you. If you get into big fish you'll want to higher.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd go with a 5wt, as there's lots more sunfish near you than the bigger species and a 5 makes them much more fun.

A 5 would be plenty for the LMFR too, I normally fish a 4wt down there myself.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Cliffs got the experience for the area and the species. I go with what he said!!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

There's a truism that's beem around longer than I've been in this sport: with a 5wt and an 8wt, you're set up to catch 95% of the fish species in North America. (my own note- add a 3wt and a 10wt, and you're able to make the runts more fun and land the beasts that are REALLY fun)

Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 PM

Amen to that. I own 3,5,6,7wt that I use for fresh water. My Dad has 8,9,10wt that we use for saltwater at his place in the Keys. Between us we have it covered.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Davo, you need at least ONE 4wt. I know that a 5 generally works better for the larger fish and gusts in your hood, but a 4wt is marvelous for an all purpose smaller trout rod that will take care of everything.

I've got a 9' 4wt Sage VPS Light (same blank as their old LL series) that covers most all my trout fishing. I recommend you give a 4 a try.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 AM

I've been thinking about a 4 wt Cliff. My boss's son has Scott that I've cast a time or two. This spring I have to add some new client rods to my arsenal. Come fall that is a good possibility for myself!! It seems to be the only one I'm missing.