The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bob3700
  • 1 Post By willyf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2016, 07:20 PM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future
Default Winston B3SX #5 ?

I'm not in the market , just curious , didn't even know Winston made an ultra fast ? Does anyone have one or experience with it and want to chat it up a bit ( or down ) pending your experience I guess ?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:39 AM

coho52 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winston B3SX #5 ?

The BIII-SX was Winston's second ultra-fast rod; it replaced the BII-MX; it has since been replaced by the Boron III Plus.

I never cast the 5-weight, but I had owned a 9' 6" 6wt and a 9' 8wt. Both were stiff compared to other Winstons. I found the 6wt to be a bit heavy but easy to cast (using a 6wt Outbound line) but the 8 wt was a broomstick (even with overloaded with 9wt Outbound).

If I had to guess I suspect the 5wt might be similar to the 6wt, i.e., depending on how you lined it, you might like it - or not.

Sorry I can't offer more.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:52 PM

bob3700 is a glorious beacon of lightbob3700 is a glorious beacon of lightbob3700 is a glorious beacon of lightbob3700 is a glorious beacon of lightbob3700 is a glorious beacon of lightbob3700 is a glorious beacon of light

Fished a BIIIx 5wt. out of a drift boat slinging two fly rigs with indicators. It really did not do well with that set up. Switched to a BIIIx 6wt. And problem solved. The 5wt didn't have the deep grunt to handle the heavier fly rig.
Have fished the 6wt with drys n wets n it handles all of them well. Based on that experience, I do like the BIIIx 6wt. much better.
In a 5wt. My Radian is a much more all around for.
mike_r likes this.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:02 PM

willyf is on a distinguished road

I've fished the BIII-SX in a 7-weight. I was throwing big streamers with a sinking line on a friend's rod. It was more enjoyable than throwing my 10' 7-weight T3, but not by much. I haven't handled the 5-weight version.

From the page on Winston's site, it seems like they designed the line of rods for hucking streamers, poppers, etc. The problem is that this kind of fishing is usually very repetitive in terms of casting, and that's when weight starts to make a huge difference. The BIII-SX 905 is almost a full ounce (and 33%) heavier than the Radian 905 (I purposely picked a very light rod to compare to)--and it looks like there's quite a difference in swing weights too. The entire BIII-SX series seems to be on the heavy end for its price point.

I'm not sure why I'd want to buy a four or five weight in a series that was designed for "whether you’re making long casts directly into the wind, chucking a 400 grain line or throwing bulky, air-resistant streamers and poppers." I think a six would be the very lowest I'd go, and then I'd still be concerned about the weight issue.

I've mentioned in other threads how much I like throwing streamers on my 906 Radian. It's because it's light! It doesn't have the backbone to throw big weighted flies on a sinking line (it's not supposed to), but a 200 grain line with a big fly made out of mostly artificial fibers (so it doesn't absorb water) is a dream to cast. A lot of that has to do with Radian's excellent taper, but weight/swing weight also plays a big part when you're standing in the front of a drift boat throwing streamers for 8+ hours.

I hate to talk down on a rod that I haven't cast, but, like I said, the 7-weight version didn't do much for me. Maybe the BIII-SX series has some sweet spots or use cases where it really shines, but the way they positioned the series doesn't match up with what I'd be looking for in those situations.
sweetandsalt likes this.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:30 PM

mike_r is a jewel in the roughmike_r is a jewel in the roughmike_r is a jewel in the roughmike_r is a jewel in the rough

If your heart is set on a green stick, and you are looking for utility, look no farther than the 690 BIIIx. From underlining with a 5wt line to achieve a faster/lighter presentation of smaller dries on 12' plus leaders, to slightly over lining with a dedicated streamer line such as the SA Streamer Express to handle clousers and double bunnies, this rod has you covered. I was surprised at the down low grunt for casting with the heavier line (to turn over the heavy flies) and for fighting fish! Couple that with a softer compliant rod tip, and you don't have to sweat light tippets. My next experiment with the 690 is to try an SA MPX 5 wt line on it for light nymphing, swinging soft hackles and dries this spring. I have also enjoyed fishing an Airflo SuperDri Elite wf6f line and a RIO Gold wf6f for big nymph rigs. I prefer using a floating 5 line for typical 14 and under dries as it developes better line speed and feels a lot less clunky. I had the BIIIx 590 also, and it lacked the punch for wind and the dirty stuff. Sold it and got the 690. I liked the Winston so much that I even sold my less forgiving, Sage ONE 690. The ONE had more overall power, but does not like to be over lined unless your timing is perfect. The Winston loads and unloads the heavy line deeper, and slower, but does it with the 'feeling' of confidence. The smooth transition of power experienced when casting the BIIIx 690 is easy on the shoulder too!