Blue Sapphire

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a new/old stock Cortland Blue Sapphire 9', 4/5, IM6, spigot ferrule
Never used, plastic still wrapped on the rod tube and grip
Apparently it was Cortland's final attempt at the high end rod market (at the time). Made by Diamondback, but discontinued in 1998
(which would make it my "newest" factory rod :rolleyes:)

I remember from old magazine ads that there were 3 in the series, the Brown Topaz, the Blue Sapphire, and the Black Diamond, but that's all I recall.

Any insight ?

dean_mt

Reaction score
Man, that rod was almost made this century! I hope this doesn't sully your reputation with your fishing partners. ;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember seeing ads for the rods about 20 years ago but don't know anything about them other than they were neat looking.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Rip, very cool! I too remember seeing the ads, but don't know anything about them.

I have an older Diamondback. Perhaps we can both post pics of the rods & compare! :D

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have several Diamondbacks built in VT, pre-Cortland ownership and am a fan of their qualities...the Stu Apte series were particular favorites. I am not familiar though with these Cortland versions but, if made in their original facility, would have to be fine rods. Burk would know the details about all this.

Cortland sold all the Diamondback machinery to Mike McFarland, now in a partnership called "Seele Fly Rods", a find custom glass and graphite shop. And, more recently, Cortland sold the Diamondback brand name to Nate Dablock, a former employee who now designs and produces a new generation of Diamondback rods. I briefly visited with but did not cast a Diamondback at Somerset. Visit their web site and you may be surprised by some of the unusual concepts he is devising.

Homepage | Diamondback Rod Company

itchmesir

Reaction score
That Clout rod grip looks beyond ridiculous... 30 years from now it'll be one of those things we look back at and go "wtf"... Much like square fiberglass rods or steel fly rods

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
New Diamondback has rods without their segmented grip too:

I am not too quick to judge a one year old rod company based on their perception of innovation...new ideas, even those that don't work, are always worth considering.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Diamondback made some great rods back in the day and hope that's the case today. I've heard good things about their old Diamondglass series.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
On a late May, Full Moon, DIY Islamorada tarpon trip with two buddies, we hooked dozens of tarpon. We also broke like six rods between us. At the end of the week two rods that had seen the same two fish on at a time in the middle of the night abuse remained unscathed; my friend's #12 Sage Xi2 and my Diamondback. The UPS truck rolled into our rented cottage driveway almost daily fulfilling warranty replacements from two different Korean sourced rod companies.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Diamondback made some great rods back in the day and hope that's the case today. I've heard good things about their old Diamondglass series.
These glass line of rods was like 'stepping back in the day;' lots of fond memories of my first .... until I broke the thing. Well it actually shattered just above the cork. Worse yet the fellow who owned the rod was standing right next to me.:faint:

Warr-worked!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
This diamond braid visible in a number of Diamondback models, Classics here, had no function, just cosmetic...but cool looking anyway. Even my 2 pc. Saltwater 9'/#9, fast action beach rod features this "Power Braid" pattern...really big guides too.

cab

Reaction score
Ah, yes, Diamondback. THE rod was/is a Diamondback Aeroflex 905-3. Paid a fortune for it back then, a mid price nowadays. Fished the heck outta that rod for 12 years, still got it.

CAB