The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 PM

cerec_cat will become famous soon enough
Default Radian or Meridian

I was all hyped up to get a Meridian 7wt in the near future. I have read many people rave about the radian 906. This rod would be used mainly for heavy streamer fishing. In either a 7 wt or 6wt would one seem better than the other?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:52 PM

marky3130 is a jewel in the roughmarky3130 is a jewel in the roughmarky3130 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Radian or Meridian

I've cast them both and found the meridian to have a stiffer butt and mid section. As long as your intended purpose doesn't include much roll casting I would go with the meridian. I like the added lifting power of the meridian and think that could be useful with the fish that streamers usually lead too. However a 6wt radian would be a better all around trout rod if you wanted to use it for that as well. They are both fine rods and they would probably equally please you.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

That's right, Meridian is a faster more powerful rod than Radian and all but lacks Radian's softer tip...not that its tip is "stiff", just less compliant.
triedandproven likes this.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

As a streamer rod you might also want to consider the 9'6" 6 wt. Radian as well , not sure if Meridian comes in that length. I have a few excellent #6 rods suited well for streamers , in hind sight I should have got one in 9'6" ( I'm not a fan of 10 footers , but that's just me ).
Old 02-10-2016, 11:06 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I like a 9 1/2' rod for streamers too as it helps slow things down and open the loop a little.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:22 AM

missin44 is a glorious beacon of lightmissin44 is a glorious beacon of lightmissin44 is a glorious beacon of lightmissin44 is a glorious beacon of lightmissin44 is a glorious beacon of light

I was in the same place as you about a month ago except I wanted a 6wt, finally got cast both. In the end I got the Radian because it was going to be an all around rod. If would have been a dedicated streamer rod, I would have gotten the Meridian. On the Meridian I liked the bigger fighting butt, larger stripping guides, and reel seat better than the Radian. However I felt it wasn't as good with drys, nymphing, etc. All that said both are sweet, but in my book the Meridian kills it with streamers.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:11 PM

I chatted with one of the guys at Telluride Fly shop. He recommended either 6wt Meridian or 7wt Radian for a dedicated streamer rod.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:20 PM

missin44 is a glorious beacon of lightmissin44 is a glorious beacon of lightmissin44 is a glorious beacon of lightmissin44 is a glorious beacon of lightmissin44 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerec_cat View Post
I chatted with one of the guys at Telluride Fly shop. He recommended either 6wt Meridian or 7wt Radian for a dedicated streamer rod.
I would agree with that. Pluses to the Meridian, great light or backup saltwater rod. Radian, great trout rod all around.

Meridian wouldn't be embarrassed in a freshwater situation, Nor the Radian in salt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2016, 09:30 AM

Supplicate will become famous soon enough

Take it for what its worth; I have the 6wt Radian for the "all around" N. Platte rod, the 7wt Radian for the sink tip streamer rod, and the 9wt Meridian for the larger "just because" fresh water and smaller salt water pursuits.

All of this is to say that they will both do anything you need them to, you'll just have to figure out how the rod you settle on will best handle what you want it to.

The 906/4 Radian handles streamers amazingly well with a streamer specific taper floating line, I am running the Airflo Kelly Galloup Streamer Float. I fought with streamers on several of my "normal" trout tapers until I purchased this line on a "why the hell not" whim. It was worth every penny for the spare spool and line.

The 907/4 Radian throws streamers without thinking with the SA sink tip I have on it.

The 909/4 Meridian doesn't even have to be thought about to lay anything you have in mind out there on the water. Nothing like being over gunned when it comes to freshwater!
Old 02-18-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplicate View Post
Take it for what its worth; I have the 6wt Radian for the "all around" N. Platte rod, the 7wt Radian for the sink tip streamer rod, and the 9wt Meridian for the larger "just because" fresh water and smaller salt water pursuits.

All of this is to say that they will both do anything you need them to, you'll just have to figure out how the rod you settle on will best handle what you want it to.

The 906/4 Radian handles streamers amazingly well with a streamer specific taper floating line, I am running the Airflo Kelly Galloup Streamer Float. I fought with streamers on several of my "normal" trout tapers until I purchased this line on a "why the hell not" whim. It was worth every penny for the spare spool and line.

The 907/4 Radian throws streamers without thinking with the SA sink tip I have on it.

The 909/4 Meridian doesn't even have to be thought about to lay anything you have in mind out there on the water. Nothing like being over gunned when it comes to freshwater!
I am looking at the SA sonar sink tip. Which one do you have, I am thinking the type 3.