The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 06:26 PM

chott2 is on a distinguished road
Default Tfo bvk 6wt

Anybody have any experience with this rod and its strengths and weaknesses?
Old 02-10-2016, 10:52 PM

akfred is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tfo bvk 6wt

I have a 9' 5-piece BVK 6 wt and also had a 5 wt4-piece BVK. The 6 wt is a great rod but in reality is a 7 wt. the 5 wt cast a 6 wt line beautifully. The BV K's in my opinion suffer from having a poorly designed reel seat. The knerlled rings are had difficult to grip and sometimes get bound up and are difficult to loosen. In addition, this series of rod tends to break easily. I have had my 6 wt break while casting in my yard. It had never yet been fished. I also had an 8 wt break on the first fish I caught on it.
That being said, they are very light in weight and cast beautifully with an appropriate line. If you want a rod that will cast a 6 wt line, get a 5 wt BVK but treat it gently. Luckily TKO is quick to replace broken rods.
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:57 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I've had a 5 wt for a couple years and use it more than the rest of my rods combined. It will cast a fly right into the wind and can still drop a dry softly on the water. Good for nymphing, at least for me, as well.

Haven't broken mine or seen one broken but hear that they do on occasion. I always have a spare in the truck just in case no matter what rod I am using.

Casts best with a half-heavy line like GPX. Some people say a full line heavy is best but I prefer a half weight heavy. I think the folks that prefer a full weight just want more flex in the tip. That's fine.

Great rod, especially for the money. Great service and warranty. Can't go wrong with it unless you just hate fast rods or want a fiberglass one.
sweetandsalt likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:52 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

The above is all correct, for a faster action, light weight rod there is nothing in BVKs price range to competed with it. It does like a 1/2 heavy not full size over line, RIO Gold is good for it. The lock rings on the reel seat are small but we have two and have yet to have an issue. My wife, who likes a light weight rod, has an original, first year of production (with Recoil guides) BVK#8 and fishes it for bonefish which bend it a lot and it has not broken although these are not rugged rods. The one real knock on BVK is it does not come with a protective tube, what's that about? You'll need to scavenge one up. Cardboard shipping tube anyone?
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:13 AM

chott2 is on a distinguished road

Anybody use these rods for throwing big streamers or nymph rigging? What does this rod do the best?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:20 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chott2 View Post
Anybody use these rods for throwing big streamers or nymph rigging? What does this rod do the best?
I swing streamers with it. I don't recommend using big heavy beads due to the fragile nature of the rod. I still do it though. I use it for pretty much everything especially fishing out west where there is a lot of wind and big water.

It isn't my favorite rod for a lot of close in fishing.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:44 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

BVK is a fast rod not an in close delicate rod and you would not want to high line speed a cone head into its thin tip. In 6-wt. form, BVK is optimal for throwing big bulky dry stoneflies, trudes, Cicadas and the like but it will handle conventional size dries and nymphs too. Fine for streamers too as long as they are not heavily weighted.
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:45 PM
adirondack46r

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfred View Post
I have a 9' 5-piece BVK 6 wt and also had a 5 wt4-piece BVK. The 6 wt is a great rod but in reality is a 7 wt. the 5 wt cast a 6 wt line beautifully. The BV K's in my opinion suffer from having a poorly designed reel seat. The knerlled rings are had difficult to grip and sometimes get bound up and are difficult to loosen. In addition, this series of rod tends to break easily. I have had my 6 wt break while casting in my yard. It had never yet been fished. I also had an 8 wt break on the first fish I caught on it.
That being said, they are very light in weight and cast beautifully with an appropriate line. If you want a rod that will cast a 6 wt line, get a 5 wt BVK but treat it gently. Luckily TKO is quick to replace broken rods.
I agree with the comment about the reel seat. Mine ceased up and I sent the butt section and reel back to my shop to have it removed. I began using a light coat of lubricant on the threads of the reel seat and the problem went away.

46r
Old 02-29-2016, 07:14 PM

Look, you buy BVK to be a relatively high performance, light weight rod that is inexpensive, built off shore. You want a quality reel seat and more durability, by a Sage.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:39 PM
adirondack46r

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge TFO fan. Great rods, great service, great prices. A winning combination.
sweetandsalt likes this.