The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2016, 11:19 AM

scout1 is on a distinguished road
Default Analysis my arsenal.

I need your help. I have store credit to spend at a store and I'm wondering how best to spend it.

The type of fishing that I do is trout fishing here in the west. 90% of which is dry fly or terrestrial's. How I fish is , 50% float tube in lakes, 30% walking shoreline, 20% small stream and spring creeks. Conditions are almost always breezy. A calm day is very rare.

My current active duty rods are;

Sage TXL-F 4710
Sage CIRCA 489
Sage ONE 486
Sage ONE 590

I'm very pleased with my selection. I have been thinking of adding a Sage MOD in 5wt but I would prefer a 8'6" model and of course they don't make that length.

I'm set in the other high dollar items such as reels, waders etc.

So in looking at my rod selection for the type of fishing that I do, what is the hole that you see?

Thanks, Jim
Old 03-24-2016, 11:44 AM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Analysis my arsenal.

I know this is blasphemous but you're fairly set. The killer is the wind comment you made. If it weren't for that I would suggest a 1wt for those small creeks as when the time is right the 1wt is a blast. But when its windy the 1wt stays in the truck.

I fish 60% small stream wading, 30% bigger river (relative term), 5% Big river and 5% Big River boat and my arsenal is similar to yours. While we have our fair share of wind it isn't an every time deal.

My quiver is similar to yours but loaded up in the 3wt range

TXLF 1wt 7'10"
ZXL 376-4
TXL 3710-3 and 4710-3
ONE 390-4
Circa 389-4
Z-axis 490-4
Allen ICON 10' 4wt
Zenith 590-4
ONE 691-4
Flying Pig Liquid Series 7wt (Its a cannon)

Maybe think about a 7wt for windy chucking of streamers for that lake
hairwing530 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-24-2016, 11:49 AM

smilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of light

For windy days on lakes you might want a 6 weight rod fishing from a tube maybe a 9 1/2 rod or longer might be nice. Me personally I won't fish with a
rod under a 4 weight so a nice 6 weight is what I'd recommend. Good luck
Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with duck, and if you want to remain Sage loyal, there is the mighty red Method#6...what wind? Not that there is anything wrong with ONE#6. If you want t o mix it up a little I love my NRX#6 and my pard his Radian#6. With Circa and ONE #4's there is not much opening for MOD.
hairwing530 and smilingduck like this.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:16 PM

plecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud of

What's been said already covers most of what I'd add.

You don't have anything really short. Maybe you don't need a brush-fighter. A 6-6 ft. 0-2 wt. would be my suggestion. St. Croix Imperial 6' 2 wt. is one I like a lot.

On the bigger end, a 7 wt., 9-10 ft. rod is nice to have on ponds where you're walking the shore. I have a 7 wt., 10 ft. Z-Axis I use just for that.
hairwing530 likes this.

--Paul
Old 03-24-2016, 12:47 PM

thepharmacist is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Analysis my arsenal.

I'd like to hear some feedback on guys that use 10' 4wts and how they fit into trout arsenals. I am "stuck" with an H2 and can't make up my mind to keep it or not. I want to use it for a nymph rod on some medium / large rivers out west... Not sure if it is too light for someplace like he Bighorn.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:54 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Rx, I know folks employ 10'/#4's a specialty nymph rods; OK fine. I don't nymph much and every super long light line rod I've cast I've felt uncomfortable with. I like 4-weights a lot and would fish one as a secondary rod on the Bighorn but it would be an 8 1/2 or 9' rod.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:34 PM

mike_r will become famous soon enough

I would go with a 490 Mod for midging and pmd's. A soft rod that is fully capable of achieving plenty of line speed if ya know the subtle haul techniques the medfast Sages require. You have to stroke 'em just right to get them loops ever so tight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:43 PM

rockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud of

I have at least 17 rods at the moment and it's growing. There is always a opening for a new rod.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:11 PM

scout1 is on a distinguished road

Comeonavs, I have given some thought to another TXL-F only in 2wt. I know of 1 shop that at least advertises them in stock. But that doesn't work because of my store credit.

To practically everyone else, yes I also have thought of something heavier. I recall hearing in the past that the One 690 was one of the sweet rods in that line. If I went the heavier route, then a 6, 7 or 8 would be in consideration. Also if I went with a One 690 than I would probably part with my One 590.

Please keep your thoughts coming.

Jim
hairwing530 likes this.