The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rocksteady1
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 PM

rocksteady1 is on a distinguished road
Default Beulah platinum single hand 997

I'm thinking about getting this as a drift boat indicator rod and a light duty steelhead rod. Any thoughts? I believe it's newer for this line up.

I really want a longer than 9 foot rod and a heavier than 5 weight rod for indicator type rigs. We fish the lower sac and the yuba River frequently from a drift boat so lots of mending and water haul casting. Thanks
Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Beulah platinum single hand 997

Beuller.......?
myt1 likes this.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:40 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

No specific info but you will have a hard time finding many Beulah owners that are not pleased. I have their base model spey rod (Classic). The quality of the cork and hardware makes my other rods look cheap. Ard has had his hands on a few Beulah rods and is a fan as well.
coolkyle likes this.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:30 PM

coolkyle is on a distinguished road

Can't comment on the Beulah, but can say that configuration is great for both windy day nymphing and medium sized (up to 3" of rabbit) streamers. I use a Loop Multi 796 with SA Magnum, it's great for big rivers.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkyle View Post
Can't comment on the Beulah, but can say that configuration is great for both windy day nymphing and medium sized (up to 3" of rabbit) streamers. I use a Loop Multi 796 with SA Magnum, it's great for big rivers.
Is that magnum a floating line?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:40 AM

rsagebrush is just really nicersagebrush is just really nicersagebrush is just really nicersagebrush is just really nice

Yes, it comes in floating and it will really throw big flies with minimal backcast room.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:51 AM

runningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to behold

I have no experience for Beulah single hand rods, but I've had 3 Beulah double hand and in the process of getting the 4th one. The Platinum blanks have good tapers and light too. but again I am basing my opinion on their double hand rods.

The build quality is really good, aesthetically matches Bob Meiser custom rods.
PM me if you want Beulah rep email.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:04 PM

sabbatoy is on a distinguished road

Heard nothing but great things about Beulah rods. I started using a Sage 99 and 10' rods for indy fishing. So much better than a 9 footer.