The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2016, 12:05 PM

craiger1987 is on a distinguished road
Default White River Vanguard rod?

I'm currently in my late beginner stage of fly fishing and I'm looking to upgrade my equipment. I'm in need of a good five weight outfit as my only rods right now are a cabelas three forks prestige plus 3wt outfit and the same in an 8wt. I need a five. I have a cabelas CGR 5wt on back order to see if I like glass before pumping money into a better glass rod but I know that I will need a good carbon 5 so I'm looking into getting a good one. I think I've settled on the Orvis Recon 5wt outfit but I happened upon a rod in my local bass pro this morning that caught my eye. It was a White River Vanguard made by Orvis for bass pro. I couldn't help but notice that it looked very similar to the Orvis rod I've been eyeing but at about half the money. Does anyone have any info on this rod? Is it a rebadged current production Orvis model and if so which one? Should I give this rod consideration or should I hold out and save for the recon I was thinking of to begin with? Any other rod outfit suggestions are also welcome. Thanks!
brownbass and ia_trouter like this.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White River Vanguard rod?

to the forum.

it might be a good idea to go there
Member Introductions - The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Old 06-16-2016, 01:51 PM

brownbass is on a distinguished road

Craiger1987,
You wouldn't have been shopping in the St. Louis area Bass pro shop. I ask the same question it seems to be a legit Orvis rod, I was told by the salesmen that it came with the 25-year warranty. While checking online it said it had a one year. If you decide you like it double check the warranty. It did seem like a nice rod but of an older design.
It does seem like people on this site need to warm up to you a little before they will give you the time of day. Or so I've been told. Hence the direction to the intro site.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:57 PM

triggw is a jewel in the roughtriggw is a jewel in the roughtriggw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger1987 View Post
... White River Vanguard made by Orvis for bass pro.
I've never heard that, and it seems very unlikely. Can anyone confirm?

I'd go for the Recon.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:32 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
Craiger1987,
It does seem like people on this site need to warm up to you a little before they will give you the time of day. Or so I've been told. Hence the direction to the intro site.
That's not a fair statement IMO. jpbfly welcomed him to the forum and I am going to guess he doesn't know anything about Bass Pro flyrods because he is from France. They aren't discussed here too often in an event.

Does it help if you start an intro thread, tell us you are Bob from Kansas City and love to fish with your dog etc? Yeah it probably does.

And hello Craiger. I have one of those Cabelas CGRs on backorder too. Hopefully we get them before ice fishing season.
craiger1987 likes this.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:41 PM

craiger1987 is on a distinguished road

IN trouter, I'm hoping the back order won't be too long either, I'm itching for a new stick lol. Trigg the tag on the rod did say that it was crafted in Vermont by Orvis for white River, the question I have is since the rod is $225 on sale from $350 what kind of Orvis is it? I don't know if it's a discontinued older design or if it's a rebadged encounter or Clearwater etc. or if I'm lucky enough to have found something like a recon at a steal. It seemed like a nice rod in my poorly educated beginner hands, I don't know if perhaps anyone has more info on the rod itself to know if it's a good buy or if I should bite the bullet and go for the recon outfit. I hadn't realized there was a new members page where we introduce ourselves, but I will most certainly check it out and make a post thank you all for your input and anything else you may have to add
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:47 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Quote:
IN trouter, I'm hoping the back order won't be too long either, I'm itching for a new stick lol. Trigg the tag on the rod did say that it was crafted in Vermont by Orvis for white River, the question I have is since the rod is $225 on sale from $350 what kind of Orvis is it? I don't know if it's a discontinued older design or if it's a rebadged encounter or Clearwater etc. or if I'm lucky enough to have found something like a recon at a steal. It seemed like a nice rod in my poorly educated beginner hands, I don't know if perhaps anyone has more info on the rod itself to know if it's a good buy or if I should bite the bullet and go for the recon outfit. I hadn't realized there was a new members page where we introduce ourselves, but I will most certainly check it out and make a post thank you all for your input and anything else you may have to add
I know how it feels starting out. Try to control yourself and not to buy six rods too quick like I did. You'll make better choices if you go slow. Buy a few decent rods and give them the time they need to advance your skills. I can't solve your rod mystery but there is a decent chance that rod is a very good value at $225. May or may not be a knock off of $350 Orvis rod but it is possible. Cabela's and BP branded gear is not high end by any stretch, but they generally give you more than you paid for when they have a good sale. The downside is expect no resale value from house branded gear as they frequently dump inventory at 50% off and the whole world knows it.
craiger1987 likes this.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:07 PM

scotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum!!

If I were you, I'd spend the extra on the Recon. Being a somewhat beginner, I really believe you'll like the feel and power this rod has. The Vanguard has been around awhile, and if I was to go cheaper, I'd get the Orvis Clearwater instead, depending if the action of the rod is the same. But the Recon being half the price of the H2, and somewhat similar, you can't go wrong. Get the Recon.
craiger1987 likes this.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:10 PM

triggw is a jewel in the roughtriggw is a jewel in the roughtriggw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Trigg the tag on the rod did say that it was crafted in Vermont by Orvis for white River,
Well, that says it. I'd still buy the Recon.
craiger1987 likes this.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:13 PM

Don't mean to over post your thread, but Orvis is not like all manufacturers. They also have an extensive and successful retail operation. They could and probably do make a real decent house brand rod for BP. But if they were to get caught selling a $500 rod that was identical to a flagship Orvis model for half the money through BP, it would be really ugly for them. And IMO they aren't foolish enough to think they would not get caught in short order.
craiger1987 likes this.