2016 Yellowstone 6 Weight Shootout

coho52

Reaction score
Well, one could say it still was rated above the Winston Air. :confused:

There's a lot of reading here, as I think it's valuable to read the additional comments on each rod from the other reviewers.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
My first thought is S&S called the results weeks ago. He knew the tip wasn't soft enough for Anderson. They also excluded some of the models that are getting long in the tooth on the product cycle. I wonder why they tested Echo's cheapest rod?

coolkyle

Reaction score
I appreciate the work they put into these shootouts. But in the higher line weights, you end up getting different actions for different purposes. Even in a 5 weight, you can have a nymphing, dry fly, or do it all rod.

I personally have an all-around 6wt and another one I use primarily for indicator nymphing. They cast totally different, the reason I have both of them. Some people have beach cannon 6-weights, not something you want to fish a #16 and with.

mtbusman

Reaction score
I appreciate the work they put into these shootouts. But in the higher line weights, you end up getting different actions for different purposes. Even in a 5 weight, you can have a nymphing, dry fly, or do it all rod.
That's the inherent problem with most of the shootouts I've read. Looking at the criteria, it's mostly based on casting accuracy, swing weight, and finish or price. And even then, they often use the same fly line for all the rods -- and some of the rods probably would have performed better with a different line. The bottom line is that most of the items tested are done on the lawn or in the shop -- not on the water.

eastfly66

Reaction score
and some of the rods probably would have performed better with a different line.

- Yup, what he said .....Major flaw in the process in an attempt to have a level playing field. Might want to try matching rods to recommended lines. It is still a viable resource if your researching a rod providing you consider the source and can read between the lines. Wish T&T was invited to the party , would have liked to hear the results. I know of another rod I would have liked to see in it too ....El Jefe,Can you guess which one ? :)

uglyducks

Reaction score
Hmm, offshore, overpriced, mass produced Korean junk is apparently better than hand crafted American built fishing rods.

I find it odd that the Winston BIIIX (one of the best 6 weight rods ever made), Sage Bolt and Method, and other upper end American rods were not included in the test. Fear of giving point up to rods not in that shop?

winstonwt

Reaction score
i think James Andersons comments about the sage x were interesting,something i have wondered about all these new rods coming out,are they really that different or better than the previous year.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hmm, offshore, overpriced, mass produced Korean junk is apparently better than hand crafted American built fishing rods.

I find it odd that the Winston BIIIX (one of the best 6 weight rods ever made), Sage Bolt and Method, and other upper end American rods were not included in the test. Fear of giving point up to rods not in that shop?
How do you know the Douglas Sky is junk? I know forum members that have held and cast this rod and they feel it is a great rod. BTW, Anderson sells Sage.

I think this shootout has a lot of flaws but pronouncing rods you have never seen "junk" just because they aren't manufactured in the US is wrong. If you have some valid evidence that Korean rods are junk, please share.

uglyducks

Reaction score
How do you know the Douglas Sky is junk? I know forum members that have held and cast this rod and they feel it is a great rod. BTW, Anderson sells Sage.

I think this shootout has a lot of flaws but pronouncing rods you have never seen "junk" just because they aren't manufactured in the US is wrong. If you have some valid evidence that Korean rods are junk, please share.
Ya, how about the fact that mass produced, offshore rods are commonly inflated in price to achieve around a 500% profit margin (to end of supply chain) at the expense of cheap/slave labor and US jobs? To accomplosh this, do you think they are importing finely crafted components and resins? Probably not.

Let me ask you what your experience is in offshore manufacturing processes/price chains/profit pyramids? While the rod may 'feel' passable in the hands of many anglers, it will not pass the sniff test when put on the table with America's finest. I can promise you that. With so many products we are forced to buy cheap, subpar offshore junk. Fishing tackle does not need to be one of those things.

Anderson always said something to the effect of the best fly rods are designed AND built by people who fish. Just think about that.

Last edited:

saflyfish

Reaction score
I bet the Sage X is a winner.GA's not fond of Sage,he never has been.
And no T&T rods?? He does like to back the non american made rods...he always has.The reel seat on the Douglas looks cheap and chinese but im sure it does cast very well.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
That's the inherent problem with most of the shootouts I've read. Looking at the criteria, it's mostly based on casting accuracy, swing weight, and finish or price. And even then, they often use the same fly line for all the rods -- and some of the rods probably would have performed better with a different line. The bottom line is that most of the items tested are done on the lawn or in the shop -- not on the water.
That isn't a small detail. Not matching the rod to a line doesn't level the playing field, it merely dumbs down the test that otherwise attempts to be numerically precise and objective. I would think an ill suited line could easily cause a rod to get an 18.0 instead of an 18.5 or 19.5 in a category. Point being a rod rated #8 overall might actually be 3rd best.

And a I see an $89.95 rod doing a little too well numerically. Tim Rajeff's bubblepack starter rod. He should be pleased. I doubt it belongs on the same page as these rods. His good rods must be really something.

I enjoy the shootouts, but the numerical ranking portion of it is for entertainment purposes only IMO. Perhaps a starting point for a new rod search.

perryk

Reaction score
Anyone ever consider dealer costs on rods?... if it costs Douglas $125/rod to have manufactured in Korea...which would be considerably less than what it costs our domestic rod makers...

No employee problems, no environmental worries, no benefits, no property taxes

Take these savings and turn them into lower dealer prices and of course Yellowstone Angler is going to rate them.....after all their goal is to make a profit.

Just a thought.

cerec_cat

Reaction score
It seems that all the shootouts are testing for "all around" rods. I would like to see a test for specific purposes. I got a 6wt Meridian as a dedicated streamer rod, definately wouldnt use it for dries or small nymphs.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ya, how about the fact that mass produced, offshore rods are commonly inflated in price to achieve around a 500% profit margin (to end of supply chain) at the expense of cheap/slave labor and US jobs? To accomplosh this, do you think they are importing finely crafted components and resins? Probably not.

Let me ask you what your experience is in offshore manufacturing processes/price chains/profit pyramids? While the rod may 'feel' passable in the hands of many anglers, it will not pass the sniff test when put on the table with America's finest. I can promise you that. With so many products we are forced to buy cheap, subpar offshore junk. Fishing tackle does not need to be one of those things.

Anderson always said something to the effect of the best fly rods are designed AND built by people who fish. Just think about that.
So you are saying South Korea employs slave labor? Average salaries are pretty good there and they even have unions.

Why bring up what Anderson says after you questioned his credibility in the first place?

Your promise means nothing if you haven't used the rod. I know people that are far more qualified to assess rod quality than I am that attest to Douglas rods being extremely well made. I think Hardy's track record with the Zenith pretty much proves your "junk" theory wishful thinking.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
Regarding the South Korean rods, based on my experience with my Echo 3 and the Hardy Zenith, plus S&S's review of the latest Hardy rod, there is no doubt in my mind that these rods equal Sage and Scott in performance and quality of construction.

That said, I do believe their actual cost of construction must be less than US built rods, and I would like to see that savings passed on to the consumer. Assuming equal quality, if I'm going to spend $800.00 for a new rod, I'll pick a nice handcrafted US made rod just on general principle.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone ever consider dealer costs on rods?... if it costs Douglas $125/rod to have manufactured in Korea...which would be considerably less than what it costs our domestic rod makers...

No employee problems, no environmental worries, no benefits, no property taxes

Take these savings and turn them into lower dealer prices and of course Yellowstone Angler is going to rate them.....after all their goal is to make a profit.

Just a thought.
Where do you get the info that Korean workers have no benefits? I did some research and found that the average employee takes 25 days of vacation per year and that companies are required by law to give two weeks. They have unions and a pretty decent wage. Are you thinking that Korea is China?

melvynsegal

Reaction score
Enough with politics... I assume we evaluate rods on how they cast, fish, and feel. I would would love to hear more about these traits from the many excellent casters on this thread who have fished these rods...:)