The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By tcorfey
  • 2 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2016, 03:41 PM

tcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant future
Default Blast from the past...

I have got to share this...

This weekend my casting club had a gear swap. I sold a few rods, a net and some other stuff. Towards the end of the day I was reviewing some of the stuff from the other tables and in the middle of a bunch of two piece rods I came across a brand new (tags still on it) 1951 Shakespeare Wonder rod Model 1380T 9' 6wt Trout model, three piece with metal ferrules and a Snap-lock reel seat.

The Snap-lock reel seat was an up-locking reel seat and the bottom cap did not screw on it was held in place with spring pressure. You pull the bottom cap down insert your reel and release the cap to lock the reel in place. Very retro-cool.

Having that Snap-lock reel seat I had to have an automatic reel for it. To match up the rod I found a 1960 Shakespeare Model 1826 Tru-Art automatic reel also in great condition at another table.

This combo albeit a bit heavy is awesome and this rod casts very well. It is slow like a long Bamboo rod but, has lots of power to send the fly down range.

I feel like I just found a 1960's Buick in somebodies garage. Not that the value is substantial but the condition and feel of my youth is in this combo...

I am loving it. My kids think it's pretty cool too! They had never seen an automatic reel in action before.

This was the time in history when automatic reels and snap-lock reel seats meant "modern" to quite a few people and it's fun to own a bit of that nostalgia.

Regards,

Tim C.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:07 PM

plecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant future
Default Re: Blast from the past...

Congratulations. Great find.

Paul
Old 10-23-2016, 04:50 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Great find but... TTIUWP!
Old 10-23-2016, 05:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

score!!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:11 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

In my youth I would pour over the Wonderod catalog comparing cool grip shapes and that great white color. Real nostalgia.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:31 PM

tcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant future

Added some pictures to the gallery...

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...php?photo=9920

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...php?photo=9921

Enjoy...

Last edited by tcorfey; 10-27-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:03 AM

keithsz is on a distinguished road

Images not showing.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:17 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Here is some old fiberglass that was donated to raise funds for our PHWFF Program. I brought these and other rods, including some older graphites to Somerset and offered them for donations to our veterans group. I was a little surprised, with the hordes of fly fishers streaming past our booth in the not-for-profit area, how little interest there was in these classic glass rods. I practically and in at least one case actually gave them away.

bwf and kentuckysteve like this.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:25 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't watch the big auction site very often, but not that long ago I saw a mint 7'6" Wonderod go for (as I remember) $350
That sticks with me because I saw the same model at $65 retail just weeks beforehand.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:30 AM

I recall averaging about $25 donations in exchange for these types of rods. One, a Walton Powell glass with metal ferrules I just would not part with for so little and sold it latter to someone who appreciated it. At the end of the Show, Bob Popovics admired a 9-weight Wonderrod and said he had once had one just like it. I gave it to him as a gift.