The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2016, 08:27 AM

clouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really nice
Default New Redington Rods

Hey guys,

Has anyone checked out the new Redington rods for this year, the Vice and the new Predator?

I grabbed an 8 weight Vice when they first came out. So far I am liking it. It is a real cannon, especially for the price. What I'm not so sure about is the textured SA line I got for it. Seems to have a great taper but the noise....

However for a 200 dollar rod, this thing has a great finish and feel, and it's LIGHT. Even on the swing. I think Redington probably designed this in part to compete with the BVK a bit. I fish the BVK in a 6 and I think these rods are pretty similar: light, fast, and green.

I've only caught small bass with it so far, but want to try my luck with carp with it to give it a better test drive.

Anyone else have experience or comments/questions? Would love to hear about the new Predator.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:42 AM

flytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant futureflytie09 has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Redington Rods

I do know the textured SA lines I have 2 issues with. Firstly, they're noisy like you say. 8 hrs of zzzzt-zzzt zzzzt-zzzzt will drive you nuts. The other thing is it ate a groove in my thumb. I had to wear 2 bandaids. I'm sorry a line just shouldn't do that. Imagine what it's doing to your eyelets with a little grit on it.

Yeah it casts a little farther but, there's trade-offs for sure.

I can't speak to the new Redington rods, but the brand..... I'm a buyer. Good quality product at a nice price and good customer service support.

ft09
Old 10-27-2016, 08:45 AM

clouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really nice

I got the SA GPX Mastery textured line on sale for next to nothing. So at least it was cheap. I grabbed a Sharkskin GPX too in a 6 weight but haven't opened it yet. Might have to sell it if it's anything like the older textured GPX.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:20 AM

el jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud of

The Sharkskin lines I believe are rougher and noisier than the Mastery Textured line. I have a Mastery Textured line, and I can see how folks would grow tired of the noise. For me, after 5 minutes, I don't even notice the noise, and haven't much issues with the texture wearing grooves in my hands, but I am not fishing a style where I am stripping much line, either.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:32 PM

coolkyle is on a distinguished road

New Predator is awesome! I haven't tried the last version to compare, but it has all the qualities I wanted in a super beefcake streamer rod. I line my 890 with Big Nasty WF8F. It casts the half chickens with authority, and it's pretty.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:13 PM

I really any to try the big nasty on my 7 or 8!!