The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By clogrennane
  • 1 Post By eastfly66

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 04:24 PM

clogrennane is on a distinguished road
Default Stickman T8

We've just returned from Cayo Largo Cuba where our party of 8 had a really great holiday although the fishing was tough at times. My quiver consisted of the Stickman T8, Scott Meridian 8#, 9# and 10#. I must confess that the Meridian 8 stayed in its case for the week!!. The T8 was matched with an Airflow Bonefish Ridge and std Rio Bonefish lines on Nautilus G7's. This is a super Bonefish rod and casting in normal and windy conditions was a delight. I never felt under-gunned and I really liked the rod bent down to the cork when I leant on a fish. The average size of Bonefish was a clear 4-6 lbs with the best fish going 9+. When not wading back hand casting was required and the rod was flawless.

I cast the Salt and NRX and while I thought the NRX was a cannon it felt much heavier and have no doubt that if pure distance was required, it would be tops. However on the flats casting 30-60 feet is the norm and the T8 was responsive and very accurate. Now I'm in the position to make the decision on whether I hold onto the #8 Meridian!!

The Scott Meridian 9 & 10 #'s were just fantastic matched with the Rio Permit line. Throwing blind for tarpon with the 10# was easy and I can't say I ever got tired casting ( I'm 60+) and the 9 was even nicer. What can I say, I have no ties with any rod company, but I think I'll be holding on to these two for a long time to come. I'll get a Rio permit 8# for the meridian 8 before I make any decision I might regret.

As for the fishery, its enormous - split into 6 sectors which are fished over the 6 days. It took 1 hour to go west to sector 6 from base and 1 hour from base to sector 1. Each sector had something different and were rotated between the boats to avoid over pressure. Would I go back? Yes but maybe at a different time of the year. While there were bonefish on the flats, there were also huge muds and some fish from the muds at milt on board! I presume Bonefish are protracted spawners and this was the reason for the shortage on the flats.

I know Akos has a 9'6" 7# in the pipeline which would interest me or maybe even the 9' 7#, but for definite the T8 won't be my one and only Stickman rod - Santa is coming soon!
Old 12-06-2016, 04:54 PM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stickman T8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clogrennane View Post
maybe even the 9' 7#, but for definite the T8 won't be my one and only Stickman rod - Santa is coming soon!
Santa is building me a T6 right now as a matter of fact !
sweetandsalt likes this.