Sage X 690

czando

Reaction score
Having spent about a week with the 590X getting a chance to cast a few times a day. Whoever said it is true, namely it takes a bit to connect with this rod but when you do it is really sweet.

With that said, anybody cast the 690? Looking to replace my 690 Method for big water technical dry fishing.

I had a chance to cast it this summer but with a **** shop line and super hot and windy conditions so couldn't get a feel for this specific rod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scoutm

Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack your thread or take it off course but I'm just curious as to why are you exploring the Sage X 690 when you shared a pretty high opinion of the T&T Avantt 690?

For that matter, S&S also shared a favorable review of the Avantt 9' 5wt but he opted for the Sage X 586 if I recall correctly without casting it first.

Any particular reason? Is the X that much better/different? Does the Avantt come up just a little short?

Sorry for taking this thread a bit off topic (hopefully for only a brief moment), I'm just curious.

Thanks.

mike_r

Reaction score
To drift further off topic, if you like the X, also try the NRX #6. Smooth yet explosive power when called upon. I had mine on an egg banging outing last week plying for big browns on the move up river. A sulpher hatch on the SoHo blew up that afternoon as the sun broke threw the clouds, and all heads were eating cripples and adults. I alters my leader to a 13' 5x and tyed on a sz 16 comparadun. The NRX 6 took it in stride and tossed the dries with nearly the same ease as my 590X. The precision and versatility of the NRX 6 blows my mind! It has got me really wanting an NRX 5!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
In my instance, I am not looking to replace any rods rather add to my options. So, it is not 586X or Avantt or Asquith... I happen to dig Method#6 that Czando is less enamored of but I fish NRX#6 a lot anyway. I actuality intend to fish an Avantt next spring but I don't know which one. The Somerset Show will inspire what new rods will be on my radar.

But what czando says is true, X, like ONE before it, is not a pick up, cast and like or not, it involves a bit of a learning curve. It is not that it is difficult even obtuse, but subtly complex. I have a Sage expert friend with his finger on the pulse of those great rods. He told me, "you are getting this 8 1/2'/#5X and you are getting it now, it's unique". And so I did.

labradorguy

Reaction score
Looking to replace my 690 Method for big water technical dry fishing.
Method owns the 6wt technical dry category... I'm looking at 6wt X to replace a Zenith as my all-around, relaxed fishing stick. :)

bloomagoo

Reaction score
In my instance, I am not looking to replace any rods rather add to my options. So, it is not 586X or Avantt or Asquith... I happen to dig Method#6 that Czando is less enamored of but I fish NRX#6 a lot anyway. I actuality intend to fish an Avantt next spring but I don't know which one. The Somerset Show will inspire what new rods will be on my radar.

But what czando says is true, X, like ONE before it, is not a pick up, cast and like or not, it involves a bit of a learning curve. It is not that it is difficult even obtuse, but subtly complex. I have a Sage expert friend with his finger on the pulse of those great rods. He told me, "you are getting this 8 1/2'/#5X and you are getting it now, it's unique". And so I did.
I call that trust ;)

czando

Reaction score
Scout M,

I love the Avantt but also want to explore the other great new rods out there. I am a rod nerd so I like to cast and learn about all of these rods that are coming out now.

So it is not really either/or but rather splitting hairs with the subtle differences of all of these great rods.

This is really the first year since the Radian came out there we have all these great new series that all bend deeper with super fast recovery

This year is a bit of a breakthrough year

Make sense?

eastfly66

Reaction score
This is really the first year since the Radian came out there we have all these great new series that all bend deeper with super fast recovery

This year is a bit of a breakthrough year
That would appear to be the trend with the new rods from all the major players but I have to give credit when it is due , they are not the first to the party. Akos & Alejandro at Stickman rods already accomplished this in the P5 and I suspect with the T6 which is due this week....I just believe in given credit when it is due.

coolkyle

Reaction score
What kind of dry fly fishing are you guys doing with these cannons? I'm a medium-fast fan when it comes to tough fish on dries. I use a Burkie 389 Classic, Sage Circa 589, and a Hardy Jet 906 for my selective fisheries.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
What kind of dry fly fishing are you guys doing with these cannons? I'm a medium-fast fan when it comes to tough fish on dries. I use a Burkie 389 Classic, Sage Circa 589, and a Hardy Jet 906 for my selective fisheries.
lol That made me laugh. I'm with you, I fish a more moderate rod when I'm dry fly fishing exclusively. My current rods of choice for dry fly fishing are a Sage MOD 590 or a Burkie DAL 489. But I'm not throwing 80' of line and 15' of leader and tippet to complex currents with aerial mends. Some of these guys do.

fishordie

Reaction score
Yo CZ,

I have chosen the X Rod 597 to go along with my 5 and 6 wt. NRX, TCR and TCX rods to see how that works as an all around rod. I do a lot of sight fishing with longer casts and longer leader that I am hoping this to be a great fit for... I will be trying a Rio single handed Spey line along with some other Rio lines, including shooting lines, to see how just how all around this rod can be. Additionally, with the added length, it should Roll Cast really well but we will see. So far I have loved the X-rods I have used finding them easier to use than the stiffer canons I thought was more drawn to. Slowing down my casting stroke while increasing the length of my double haul really helped me find the sweet spots for my other X rods especially when extra distance or working with wind is required. These rods really reward the angler who gets back to basics. I assume the same will apply with this rod.

Best of luck

Jamie

Last edited:

bob3700

Reaction score
Throwing dry flies, especially smaller BWO's 80 feet is way beyond my skill level. Not so much to throw it but to SEE it once it lands.

Even at 40 ft or so, small drys are almost invisible and you are just looking for a disturbance in the water to indicate a hit. Add casting across a seam with different currents at 80 ft. and I would really like someone to take me to school on how that is done. I am in awe of those who do that, way beyond my pay grade.

Bob

coolkyle

Reaction score
Throwing dry flies, especially smaller BWO's 80 feet is way beyond my skill level. Not so much to throw it but to SEE it once it lands.

Even at 40 ft or so, small drys are almost invisible and you are just looking for a disturbance in the water to indicate a hit. Add casting across a seam with different currents at 80 ft. and I would really like someone to take me to school on how that is done. I am in awe of those who do that, way beyond my pay grade.

Bob
Honestly, though, how often does that situation occur? It's usually a matter of being able to fool a rising fish at 30 feet.

czando

Reaction score
Let me just add that it is not that the total distance of the fish is that far but rather the length of line you need to control for a 40 foot cast may be actually 50 or 60 with slack casts casts like the parachute mend, puddle cast, hook casts.

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Btw, can anybody respond to my original question about the X690?

labradorguy

Reaction score
Those are great rods. Given the right conditions, Circa is awesome. I carried Method in MO on a 400 cfs creek one time, just once... :)

On the flip side, I tried Circa in Wyoming a couple years ago. The fly actually landed behind me. lol Just kidding, it didn't exactly haul the mail though... I told my buddy that maybe I would try it when the wind wasn't blowing. His response, "How many years are you going to wait for that to happen?" :)

It all boils down to the right tool for the right job.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Understand, czando is refereeing to fishing the Delaware River and its West and East Branches. This is broad technical water akin to the Henry's Fork or, even more so, the Missouri River around Craig. Often, one can not wade to where the fish are and, if fishing from a drift boat, getting close enough to use a Circa spooks the big heads. So, we are not talking about average trout rivers but ones with specialized presentation requirements and it is these circumstances that challenge fly rod performance and fly rod designers.

It was these types of environments that Harry Wilson was thinking about when he introduced revolutionary Scott Graphite in the late 1970's and what Orvis strode for in the early 1980's with the Western Series. New Sage hit the nail with RPL but really Steve Rajeff invented the modern fly rod with genuine acumen for this fishing with GLX. Scott STS, Sage XP and especially Redington Nti "Nano" pushed the envelop further but this is when some fly fishers started feeling, "whoa these rods are just too fast". Of course, many of us adapted to the faster rods and learned the substantial advantages they offered in technical presentation and therefore loved them.

These rods culminated with NRX and ONE and then something happened. Constantly experimenting rod designers with aerospace/military material technology advancements devised methodologies to combine some of the old, sweet deeper flexing fly rod feel and timing with fast rod type recovery rates and lower taper power reserves...kind of the best of all worlds. This has a lot to do with low mass construction that preserves power and durability combined with inspired design.

Getting new X for me was not a leap of faith; my Sage expert friend and I have been going back and forth about Sage rods since 1986 and understand one another really well...when Sage came up with ONE, I got one of the first ones built and with X, the second one made. There were none available to "test" so I tested. I was an early adopter of NRX too and between Sage and G.Loomis I sport a hot quiver. Does this meant I have less interest in what Scott (a maker whose rods I have been fishing n since the 70's on the Fork and everywhere else) or T&T, my first rod from them was a 1972 Hendrickson cane 7 1/2'/#5, or Hardy whose Zenith/Poraxis rods I have been a fan of since their introduction? No. And now Douglas SKY is on my list and I look forward to casting a Stickman and like Gary Loomis's EDGE and am open minded to any new creative fly rod...brand means very little to me.

So much for hardware, now an illustrative story. Dillon and I where on one of the famous Missouri headwater rivers a little ways below its dam. This is slick technical water and a bit deep so we were using the Clacka Craft with Dillon on the sticks. A heavy overhanging entanglement of willow and alder trees shaded a bank with several large rooks forming current seam feeding lanes and PMDs were emerging well. We were limited as to where we could anchor to get a drift but there is a spot about 50' above this bank whose character stretched downstream for another 50 - 75 feel or so. My turn and I'm fishing ONE#5 with an FWX 7/8 loaded with SA MEDT with an Orvis Braded Butt Medium built out to about 17' in total length and have a thorax PMD Trillen knotted to 5' of 5X. The currents twisted and eddied among the rocks protected and shaded by the overhanging limbs. But fish, big fish where sipping in their protected lies. I lengthened some line away from the trout and with the high line speed loop smoothly extending I generated some horizontal amplitudes into it and the leader by moving ONE's super, scalpel like tip side to side and aiming 5' above the top fish some 50' away. Dropping the line from a high release point, fly coming down first with an upstream reach cast followed by a big L mend, I had enough time and on water slack to adjust the flies attitude so not a curl of tippet was below it, fly fist is my motto. But it drifted a few inches outside the top trout who ignored it as he sucked in a natural. But there was no lifting that line off the water to try again because there was an even bigger brown below that rainbow. I had carefully stripped a lot of line into the carpeted area of the boat in anticipation of potential distance needs and fed several feet of line into the drift by rolling the tip of the rod while mending slack into the drift. And then more line. With calculated reading of the currents and with water doing what it likes to do, flowing downstream, by the end I looped even more mends into the dead drift and then had just colored string in my hand as the last fish on that bank tipped up and ate the fly! Feeling the hook, he burst from the shadows into the sunlight with a thrashing leap throwing spray from his deep, butter colored, dark spotted flanks then ran and leapt again as is his name, Salmo, leaper to the sun. What a fish and what a drift. I'd post an image of him here except for one little detail, I did not bring him to net, the hook pulled free. Well, I did have a lot of line out into the pulling currents...

Decades of practiced technique and responsiveness to ever varying habitats aside, a rod with super sensitive, instantly recovering, sharp reflexes with ample supportive potency in each section of the taper is an invaluable asset to control extra long presentations. Of course, skillful fly fishers have been making adroit presentations with slack feeding into the drift forever with earlier less precise fly rods...it is the angler, not the tool and always has been...but todays Flagship rods not merely enhance but exponentially add to the enjoyment of executing these techniques. This is why I add at least one new dry fly specialty rod almost every season, I really can't help myself.

Bigfly

Reaction score
The 690 X is a great rod, I think it's a more all-round rod than the Method.
But if you already have the chops, the Method will do more stuff. Although, it does more stuff at range.......say 45' to 75'.
You have to be a little careful about not setting like a salty sailor.....on a dry.
As Sweetandsalt alluded...some of us have more tricks than a clowns pocket when it comes to casting.......but, the bottom line is how much work does it take to do the job. I'm not lazy, but I prefer have a little more gun than I need, to make it easier.
There are so many kinds of water, and fish (even just limited to trout.)
If I'm on one of the tribs around here, the switch stays in the truck.
When I'm on the main stem, the trad SH 590 seems like a creek stick. Bring on the switch...
When I trip down to the Sac, American, or the Trinity, the Spey is the only consideration......
I have seen guys on the bank of these large waters with a 8'6" noodle, and have seen guys with a Spey on waters I though a noodle would be perfect.
It's not just about how you learned to cast, or what rod you like......
As has been said.......It's the tool for the job, with emphasis on the job.

Jim

Last edited:

gutterpunk

Reaction score
are you considering the Burkie and Circa med-fast? These "canon" rods are good for dry flies from a boat drifting, or walking a stream bank. Pick any stream in the Rocky Mountain west more than 30 feet wide and one of these canons is a fine dry fly rod. I think there's a real misconception about tight, fast rods not being dry fly rods. They are--even in 6 weights (though one would be better off toward the the fast-ish end, as Rajeff would say). Now, it's true, there are better rods for super delicate spring creek presentations, but I don't think that's where most dry fly fishing occurs.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My pard owns but has retired 8'9'/#4 Circa and I have sampled it on famous Silver Creek. It is a boarder line competent but uninspiring dry fly rod...swinging a soft hackle cadis pupae, great, a compound dry fly presentation, dull. Back to Sage X; I do believe my new 8 1/2'/#5 X is going to be a terrific smaller river-spring creek dry fly rod as on upper Nature Conservancy Silver Creek. Better than my 8 1/2'/#4 ONE pocket rocket? I'm not sure, only time on the water, head to head experience will determine that. The same dry fly presentation techniques I described above applicable to big rivers apply to little spring creeks too, without feeding line into the backing though and with a littler rod.

coolkyle

Reaction score
My pard owns but has retired 8'9'/#4 Circa and I have sampled it on famous Silver Creek. It is a boarder line competent but uninspiring dry fly rod...swinging a soft hackle cadis pupae, great, a compound dry fly presentation, dull. Back to Sage X; I do believe my new 8 1/2'/#5 X is going to be a terrific smaller river-spring creek dry fly rod as on upper Nature Conservancy Silver Creek. Better than my 8 1/2'/#4 ONE pocket rocket? I'm not sure, only time on the water, head to head experience will determine that. The same dry fly presentation techniques I described above applicable to big rivers apply to little spring creeks too, without feeding line into the backing though and with a littler rod.
What else?