The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 PM

ulflyfisherman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SAGE CIRCA-$349 on Cabelas site FYI

He has a shop. And, the buy it now auction for the 389 has ended. He has the same deal now on the 589, or has a couple bid auctions going on as well...

theflystop | eBay

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Now I need a reel to suit my 389 correctly. I'm thinking of a Ross Colorado, a Galvan Brookie, or an Abel Creek. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by ulflyfisherman; 12-31-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:21 PM

spt2 is on a distinguished road

Just checked, website says sold out. Unreal price, I wonder if Sage actually authorized cabelas to sell that cheap - I bet Sage and a lot of sage dealers are pissed off. Oh well - Sage went to the big box stores, now thier $850 rods are being blown out for $349. I liked it better when sage was only available from small dealers, the brand had more cache (did I use that word right?). Makes me even less inclined to pay retail for a fly rod, guys that paid $850 for that rod must love these blow-out sales
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=spt2;863826]Just checked, website says sold out. Unreal price, I wonder if Sage actually authorized cabelas to sell that cheap - I bet Sage and a lot of sage dealers are pissed off. Oh well - Sage went to the big box stores, now thier $850 rods are being blown out for $349. I liked it better when sage was only available from small dealers, the brand had more cache (did I use that word right?). Makes me even less inclined to pay retail for a fly rod, guys that paid $850 for that rod must love these blow-out sales[/QUOTE. Some people buy a car when it first comes out,, and others wait until the end of the model year. Nobody ever pays full price for last years model, new or used, when the newer shiny bling bling is on the showroom. Sage obviously has something new coming out...
mcnerney and mike_r like this.

Last edited by ulflyfisherman; 12-31-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:49 AM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulflyfisherman View Post
He has a shop. And, the buy it now auction for the 389 has ended. He has the same deal now on the 589, or has a couple bid auctions going on as well...

theflystop | eBay

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Now I need a reel to suit my 389 correctly. I'm thinking of a Ross Colorado, a Galvan Brookie, or an Abel Creek. Decisions, decisions...
No picture available but I hung a Abel creek on my 389-4 Circa and it's a pretty sweet combo.
mcnerney and ulflyfisherman like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 12-31-2016, 10:51 AM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
There is a 389 on ebay right now for 350 + shipping, buy it now (or best offer). I offered him $340 shipped for one and he accepted. Brand new. Good luck!

Congrats! That is an unbelievable price. It seems most of the closeouts being offered online are about $100 or more higher than this shop. Even Sierra Trading Post is selling them for $450. I don't know how many he has left but I think it will be very hard to find a new one priced this low once he sells out.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:26 AM

coolkyle is on a distinguished road

I wonder if Sage will do another rod like the Circa.
ulflyfisherman likes this.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
No picture available but I hung a Abel creek on my 389-4 Circa and it's a pretty sweet combo.
Thanks! Is it the AC1 or AC2? What color do you have hanging on the Circa? I was just going through my reels and realized that I have a Sage 3200 that I could you as well, the older click-pawl one. The only thing I don't really like about the older Sage 3000 series is the plastic clicker, but it balances well and looks great...

As far as color goes, I don't know if I want to try to match to the olive color of the Circa, or go with some hideous color like the orange Brookie, which I think looks awesome, just not on that green stick.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:12 PM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

I use a bronze Sage Click III reel on my 489-4 Circa. I wanted a light weight reel to pair with the light weight of the Circa.

Quote:
Thanks! Is it the AC1 or AC2? What color do you have hanging on the Circa? I was just going through my reels and realized that I have a Sage 3200 that I could you as well, the older click-pawl one. The only thing I don't really like about the older Sage 3000 series is the plastic clicker, but it balances well and looks great...

As far as color goes, I don't know if I want to try to match to the olive color of the Circa, or go with some hideous color like the orange Brookie, which I think looks awesome, just not on that green stick.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:42 PM

jeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud of

My new circa 379 has the best balance of all my rods with two of my existing reels. Galvan ob2 at 4.2 oz and even better my galvan standard 3.0 at 4.3 oz. Perfect balance as I see it which is strung up for walking.

Thinking about the 4 wt but looks like the circa's at cabelas are all gone. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:00 PM

ixoye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkyle View Post
I wonder if Sage will do another rod like the Circa.
I don't think so, if you are interested in a Circa, take the opportunity to buy it now before it is too late, I think Circa will be as coveted as Sage LL in the future, I own a 489 myself and I love it.
ulflyfisherman and el jefe like this.

For my bad English.