The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 09:51 AM

coolkyle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SAGE CIRCA-$349 on Cabelas site FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixoye View Post
I don't think so, if you are interested in a Circa, take the opportunity to buy it now before it is too late, I think Circa will be as coveted as Sage LL in the future, I own a 489 myself and I love it.
I've had the 589 since October. I'm not planning on ever selling it, but I agree they are wonderful rods. I had a 4711 LL, and it's not even close, the Circa has more feel. I've noticed that the 599 LL has the lowest resale of the LL's, why is that.
ulflyfisherman and ixoye like this.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:30 AM

ulflyfisherman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkyle View Post
I wonder if Sage will do another rod like the Circa.
I have to wonder if the Sage Mod or Accel are going to be their slowest offered rods from this point on... I've always enjoyed fishing small streams with the Orvis Superfine, and although different, I really like the Circa. I have had the Circa 589 for about a month now, and I liked it so much that I jumped on the 389, of which mister USPS has not delivered. Just last night I bit the bullet on a reel for it, the olive colored Ross Colorado LT 4/5. Hopefully they balance the way I prefer... I know the 589 balances neutral with a few feet of line out with the Ross Evolution LT 2.
coolkyle and ixoye like this.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:57 AM

Location: Close to Regensburg, about 50 miles NNE of Munich, GERMANY
oldguide has a spectacular aura aboutoldguide has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by spt2 View Post
Makes me even less inclined to pay retail for a fly rod, guys that paid $850 for that rod must love these blow-out sales
hi all.

well, I sure love this blow-out on the CIRCA. to tell you the truth, I never was that much inclined to pay retail on any rod. for this, of course, you need a little patience not to want to own the newest-best-of-all-out-there fly rod ever immediately after it shows up on the market.

what I do not understand, why, if so many (?) people are in such high praise of this rod, it is offered at $300-350 now, when initial RRP was $850. here in Germany some shops are stil listing these at 950 EURO (about $1000).

I just sold my DS2 486-4 and I arrived at fiberglass big last year, so I was thinking to add a CIRCA. my question now is, go for 489 or 589?

do I get this right that: the #5 is the highest line weight offered. I tend to overload most of my graphite rods with 1 line weight, even the DS2 turned out to work better with a WF5F than a 4wt line. a good idea for the Circa, or are these (in contrast to most of the other stiff sticks of the last decade or so) true-line-weight designated rods?

to be honest, if I should like the 589 (or 489) I would be planning to also get a 379 or 479.

please give me your thoughts.

thanks,
Wolfgang
Old 01-05-2017, 09:16 AM

deceiverbob is just really nicedeceiverbob is just really nicedeceiverbob is just really nicedeceiverbob is just really nice

I have never seen a Circa, but most of the feedback I have read on here and other online sources indicates that true to weight lines are preferred. As far as pricing, not all US retailers discount the discontinued Sage rods, and prices vary among those that do discount.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM

jeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud of

Circa 379 doesn't need to be overlined but I guess you could. Mine cast a sa ultra wf and cortland sylk dt line very nice. Both true lines.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 AM

el jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguide View Post
hi all.

well, I sure love this blow-out on the CIRCA. to tell you the truth, I never was that much inclined to pay retail on any rod. for this, of course, you need a little patience not to want to own the newest-best-of-all-out-there fly rod ever immediately after it shows up on the market.

what I do not understand, why, if so many (?) people are in such high praise of this rod, it is offered at $300-350 now, when initial RRP was $850. here in Germany some shops are stil listing these at 950 EURO (about $1000).

I just sold my DS2 486-4 and I arrived at fiberglass big last year, so I was thinking to add a CIRCA. my question now is, go for 489 or 589?

do I get this right that: the #5 is the highest line weight offered. I tend to overload most of my graphite rods with 1 line weight, even the DS2 turned out to work better with a WF5F than a 4wt line. a good idea for the Circa, or are these (in contrast to most of the other stiff sticks of the last decade or so) true-line-weight designated rods?

to be honest, if I should like the 589 (or 489) I would be planning to also get a 379 or 479.

please give me your thoughts.

thanks,
Wolfgang
Hi, Wolfgang.

I have the 389 Circa. These rods do not like to be overlined. In fact, I think even some "true to weight" lines are too heavy for the Circa, like the Rio Gold. A good line on that rod is the the Scientific Anglers Mastery Trout (DT or WF), and some like the Rio Trout LT, but in the double-taper; the WF version of the Trout LT is much heavier than the DT version.

If you enjoyed the DS2 and fiberglass, I think you'll really like the Circa.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:19 AM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
Hi, Wolfgang.

I have the 389 Circa. These rods do not like to be overlined. In fact, I think even some "true to weight" lines are too heavy for the Circa, like the Rio Gold. A good line on that rod is the the Scientific Anglers Mastery Trout (DT or WF), and some like the Rio Trout LT, but in the double-taper; the WF version of the Trout LT is much heavier than the DT version.

If you enjoyed the DS2 and fiberglass, I think you'll really like the Circa.
Yes indeed as an owner of a 389-4 Circa the Rio Gold was decent but the SA Mastery Trout, now would be shark wave trout taper really makes that perform. I also only run that rod with a furled leader too.

Favorite story with this rod , there is a pool in a stream I fish a lot. It is hard to fish the bottom of the run due to trees obstructing the approach. So at higher water I decided to just trudge upstream and see if I could get a good cast in the lower end before wading through to fish the upper end of the run. So from about 30-40 feet back I landed a size 20 Hi Viz BWO so softly , right where I knew I needed to and the reward was this pretty little guy.

Click the image to open in full size.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-07-2017, 08:12 AM

Location: Close to Regensburg, about 50 miles NNE of Munich, GERMANY
oldguide has a spectacular aura aboutoldguide has a spectacular aura about

hi all.

thanks so much for all help and advice.

it seems the CIRCA is selling so well that the seller just increased from $350 to $400. me being a little late as usual ...

well, since we have set the question of overlining the Circa rods, how about underlining?

as mentioned I gathered some experience last year with fiberglass fly rods. I own 4 CGRs and the 570-3 is a true 4 AND 5 weight rod in my opinion.

I sold a Fenwick FF855 because I did not like how it cast a 5wt line. only later I found out that I never had tried this rod with a #4 line. just about 6 months later I got a never used FF856. a little wiser now, I tried this rod with #6 as well as #5 lines, and to my surprise, it seemed the #5 was better for me with this rod. of course I was thinking, how would the FF855 have done with a 4wt.

based on this experience, anybody out there tried to underline a Circa, and if yes, what did it feel like?

with all the information above I decided to buy a Circa, but since I am still not sure if to buy a 589 or 489, if the 589 could be used with a 4wt line, I guess I would go for the #5.

thanks,
Wolfgang
Old 01-07-2017, 09:58 AM

jayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkyle View Post
I've had the 589 since October. I'm not planning on ever selling it, but I agree they are wonderful rods. I had a 4711 LL, and it's not even close, the Circa has more feel. I've noticed that the 599 LL has the lowest resale of the LL's, why is that.
I am a fan of the LL rods, mainly due to the type of streams I fish and it fits my casting style better. Having said that, it's my opinion the 2-4 weight LL's command the best prices due to them being really good small stream rods. The absolute top of the heap is the 389 LL. I think when you get into the heavier weights and longer lengths, faster action rods are much more common. At least that's my thought.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 PM

Walter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguide View Post
hi all.

Thanks so much for all help and advice.

It seems the circa is selling so well that the seller just increased from $350 to $400. Me being a little late as usual ...

Well, since we have set the question of overlining the circa rods, how about underlining?

As mentioned i gathered some experience last year with fiberglass fly rods. I own 4 cgrs and the 570-3 is a true 4 and 5 weight rod in my opinion.

I sold a fenwick ff855 because i did not like how it cast a 5wt line. Only later i found out that i never had tried this rod with a #4 line. Just about 6 months later i got a never used ff856. A little wiser now, i tried this rod with #6 as well as #5 lines, and to my surprise, it seemed the #5 was better for me with this rod. Of course i was thinking, how would the ff855 have done with a 4wt.

Based on this experience, anybody out there tried to underline a circa, and if yes, what did it feel like?

With all the information above i decided to buy a circa, but since i am still not sure if to buy a 589 or 489, if the 589 could be used with a 4wt line, i guess i would go for the #5.

Thanks,
wolfgang
****** update.....cabelas has circa back on sale......$349 free shipping: 3....4.....and 5 weights are available ***********
ulflyfisherman likes this.
"However, I must warn all beginners that the dry-fly game is an insidious one. It creeps upon you unawares, and unless you fight the tendency you will eventually fish in no other way." Ray Bergman, TROUT 1938