The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 06:39 PM

spt2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SAGE CIRCA-$349 on Cabelas site FYI

Yikes! Now, I can't believe Cabelas is selling those rods at a loss - so, am I to believe that the retailer mark-up on a sage rod is 143%?!? Wow, that's a big mark-up! Could even be a higher mark-up.

Does anyone know what a dealer pays for a Sage rod? What's the wholesale cost?

I'll kick myself very hard next week for not pouncing on this deal...
ulflyfisherman likes this.

Last edited by spt2; 01-11-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM

brownbass is a jewel in the roughbrownbass is a jewel in the roughbrownbass is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone know if the Circa may join the VXP as a regular offering in Cabelas rod line-up? It would be a nice addition. Giving anglers a chance to own a quality rod at a very good price.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 AM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

It makes me wonder just how many Circas were in the supply pipeline and inventory when Sage decided to pull the plug and discontinue them. If you do a "sold" search on Ebay the seller discussed before on this thread has sold a ton of various models already. No telling how many Cabelas has sold as well as other online vendors.

It makes me wonder as well what the dealer cost was on these rods before they were discontinued. Maybe Sage had a big inventory of completed rods and are dumping them to select vendors at a lower cost. I haven't seen the discontinued Sage One's sold for these prices.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:05 AM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguide View Post
hi all.

thanks so much for all help and advice.

it seems the CIRCA is selling so well that the seller just increased from $350 to $400. me being a little late as usual ...

well, since we have set the question of overlining the Circa rods, how about underlining?

as mentioned I gathered some experience last year with fiberglass fly rods. I own 4 CGRs and the 570-3 is a true 4 AND 5 weight rod in my opinion.

I sold a Fenwick FF855 because I did not like how it cast a 5wt line. only later I found out that I never had tried this rod with a #4 line. just about 6 months later I got a never used FF856. a little wiser now, I tried this rod with #6 as well as #5 lines, and to my surprise, it seemed the #5 was better for me with this rod. of course I was thinking, how would the FF855 have done with a 4wt.

based on this experience, anybody out there tried to underline a Circa, and if yes, what did it feel like?

with all the information above I decided to buy a Circa, but since I am still not sure if to buy a 589 or 489, if the 589 could be used with a 4wt line, I guess I would go for the #5.

thanks,
Wolfgang
I've cast my 389 with a true weight 2 line on a lark.
It quickly reminded me of why I like the 3wt lines so much more . . . every breath of breeze had to be accounted for to hit a target.
As for the rod, it needed me to step up my pace a lot. I didn't like it a bit. At least in my 389, line it true and it's just a thing of beauty.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:39 AM

el jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud of

I don't know if Sage did this with the Circa and/or One when they were discontinued, but frequently manufacturers will give retailers allowances on discontinued rods to help move out old stock and not have the retailer take a bath on the now "old" models. The manufacturer's don't want retail space being shared by their new rods, next to their old rods that are now hundreds of dollars cheaper. Retailers tend not to stick around too long if they have to sell merchandise at a loss, and I doubt any of those retailers took a loss on their closeout sales at day's end.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:41 AM

Location: Close to Regensburg, about 50 miles NNE of Munich, GERMANY
oldguide has a spectacular aura aboutoldguide has a spectacular aura about

hi all.

got a 589 (well, itīs in the mail as of today).
come on spring ... !

when was the CIRCA disc.?
seems to be still a lot out there in stock with these prices asked now. maybe the slow action kept it from being a big seller - good for us. just look at the CGRs - lots of rod for under $60. you could break 5 of them for the price of a disc. Circa. of course then the CGR is not a SAGE.

as I said earlier, makes no sense for me to buy retail - just be patient.

best,
Wolfgang
eastfly66 and ulflyfisherman like this.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:24 PM

coolkyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hi all.

got a 589 (well, itīs in the mail as of today).
come on spring ... !

when was the CIRCA disc.?
seems to be still a lot out there in stock with these prices asked now. maybe the slow action kept it from being a big seller - good for us. just look at the CGRs - lots of rod for under $60. you could break 5 of them for the price of a disc. Circa. of course then the CGR is not a SAGE.

as I said earlier, makes no sense for me to buy retail - just be patient.

best,
Wolfgang
You are really going to like that 5wt. Don't expect to love it right away, take the time to get acquainted with it.

They were discontinued at the end of the summer.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:26 PM

Location: Close to Regensburg, about 50 miles NNE of Munich, GERMANY
oldguide has a spectacular aura aboutoldguide has a spectacular aura about

hi.

my 589 arrived today.

what can I say, a strange rod - in the best sense:
the tube is so slim one might think how a 4pc 5wt rod would fit in there.
as mentioned by others, the blank just above the handle is unbelievably thin.
as for the action, I first need to line it.
but already love these looks.

I changed the bag for a HARDY 9ft 4pc in medium olive - I did not like the quite stiff black fabric of the orignal.
the color match of the Hardy bag is just nice; although, I am usually not the one to put the rod back in the bag every time.
its freezing outside (-15 °C tonight) and still I guess I will take here out for a few casts tomorrow.

now the question is: which reel?

I have taken out 10 of them, some from the fishing reel drawer, some from the display; I like 2 or 3 quite well.
and by mere chance together with the rod from the USA also came a reel in the mail today from GB which is almost crying CIRCA - a Young Revolution 8350.
well, you may say, too big, but I like to use bigger reels.
I use both, HARDY Princess as well as a JLH #7, with a 5-weight line.
so the Revolution as a big 6-weight is close enough for the 589; the weight is just right and the looks (dark anodized olive) are stunning.
the only problem is, the 8350 is yet unused and right now I am not sure if I want to fish it.

well, spring come on and we will see ...

best,
Wolfgang
Old 01-19-2017, 05:26 PM

ixoye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hi.

my 589 arrived today.

what can I say, a strange rod - in the best sense:
the tube is so slim one might think how a 4pc 5wt rod would fit in there.
as mentioned by others, the blank just above the handle is unbelievably thin.
as for the action, I first need to line it.
but already love these looks.

I changed the bag for a HARDY 9ft 4pc in medium olive - I did not like the quite stiff black fabric of the orignal.
the color match of the Hardy bag is just nice; although, I am usually not the one to put the rod back in the bag every time.
its freezing outside (-15 °C tonight) and still I guess I will take here out for a few casts tomorrow.

now the question is: which reel?

I have taken out 10 of them, some from the fishing reel drawer, some from the display; I like 2 or 3 quite well.
and by mere chance together with the rod from the USA also came a reel in the mail today from GB which is almost crying CIRCA - a Young Revolution 8350.
well, you may say, too big, but I like to use bigger reels.
I use both, HARDY Princess as well as a JLH #7, with a 5-weight line.
so the Revolution as a big 6-weight is close enough for the 589; the weight is just right and the looks (dark anodized olive) are stunning.
the only problem is, the 8350 is yet unused and right now I am not sure if I want to fish it.

well, spring come on and we will see ...

best,
Wolfgang

I use Danielsson Dry Fly on my Circa 489, a perfect combination if you like to use an European reel, nice price also.

For my bad English.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:45 PM

coolkyle is on a distinguished road

I have to say, the skinny rod tube is pointless and very, very annoying. I second the Danielsson suggestion. Rugged Swedish-made reels at a reasonable price.