The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2017, 04:03 PM

sjr is on a distinguished road
Default Scott A4 or Scott ARC 8 wt?

I have a Scott A4, 10', 8 wt, that I use for Great Lakes tributary salmon/steelhead fishing. I have the opportunity to get a Scott ARC, 9'6", 8 wt, that I would use for the same purpose. There isn't much info or reviews on the ARC single hand rods out there. Is the ARC a better rod? Same? Worse?

I like the A4, it's worked well for me over the years and I never felt "outgunned" with it. I've noticed that the ARC rods seem to sell for fairly high prices on the auction website; much higher than the A4s do. Just looking for some opinions before I decide.

Not really looking for opinions on other brands -- I already have the A4 and can get the ARC for a pretty good price. And I have several other brands in different weights, so I don't have "Scott blinders" on...

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-27-2017, 06:33 PM

coolkyle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scott A4 or Scott ARC 8 wt?

The Arc were an evolution of the G series if I'm not mistaken. I don't think you will gain anything performance wise, but they are cool!
Old 01-27-2017, 07:01 PM

dennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to beholddennyk is a splendid one to behold

I have a 9' 8wt. A4 all around very pleased with it. Contemplating a Scott 9' 9wt Tidal for Lake Michigan tributary fishing and larger pike flys.

Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to fish Stripers in Maryland as well.

Denny
Old 02-05-2017, 05:53 PM

gidva is on a distinguished road

I have fished the tidal all over from Peacock Bass to Dorado in 8 wt. It is a very nice rod to cast in medium to short distances actually very comfortable You can cast all day without getting your wrist split in half like the fastest action rods do. If you are looking to fish all day no issues mid range get the Tidal . If you want to send the line to the stratosphere get the Meridian or a