Salt Water 7wt choice

clogrennane

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new 7wt. Top end rods like tha Meridian, Hardy Wraith and Loomis Asquith come to mind. The rod will be used primarily in the salt with floating lines both in cold and tropical waters. I would welcome the forums thoughts and suggestions of other rods not listed above.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new 7wt.
So am I but I have yet to begun to research/test #7's. My benchmark which I have fished but never owned was Sage's TCX. Therefore Method, SALT and new X all warrant a look. I am enthused to expand my insight into Loomis's new Asquith and my instincts tell me it could be a top contender. Meridian must surly be test cast and a not-so-dark horse is Douglas's SKY as I was impressed test casting the #6 and really like the #9 I fished Montauk with last fall.

7-weights are one of those odd (literally) sizes too big for trout except for throwing bigger streamers and mostly too light for the salt where larger and heavier flies suggest #8's and up. However, there is a unique sweet spot. When fishing the flats be it for bonefish or stripped bass, there are shallow water areas where fish are feeding on small bait or little shrimp and sparse light flies are in order. Particularly on incoming tides where one must wade ankle deep water flooding toward the mangroves hunting fresh tails, a crisp #7 with a long leader and translucent un-weighted shrimp fly is optimal. OK, a light 8-weight is fine but there is just something special about a great 7-weight as it is like trout tackle for the spring creeks of the sea. One does not have to have one but, like clogrennane, I want one.

On the last day of a Bahamian trip a few years ago my wife and I fished such an early tide. Our guide quietly pooled along a mangrove edge of a little cay, I was on the bow and he almost whispered, "There, between does two mangroves on the inside at 10:O'clock, dat's de fish we been looking for!" There, indeed he was, barely covered by only inches of water maybe two or three feet inside the gnarly roots, the big boy was rooting about. It took a straight overhead cast with minimal false casting to lay the tippet between mangroves without hooking them. The shrimp fly landed with barely a plop and the fish turned mere inches and engulfed it. I raised my rod tip, the bone bolted to the left of the mangrove my fly had landed to the right of and, with a big wake heading for deeper water was gone. "OK, Mon, maybe 11, 12 pounds, 'least you got to feed him, Mon." I'm still shaking just writing about it. I do want a new 7-weight.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
I rarely deal in absolutes. However, for me this conversation starts and ends with the 790-4 Sage X and Rio Bonefish WF-7. It's a combination so sick it's frightening. And I'm fearless.

Add a Rio Coastal QuickShooter for big flies and cold water and you're golden.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Meridian 7 wt paired with a nautilus nv 7/8. perfect combo
Have you compare the new X or Loomis Asquith #7 to Meridian?

for me this conversation starts and ends with the 790-4 Sage X and Rio Bonefish WF-7. It's a combination so sick it's frightening.
Is this an outfit you've already fished on the flats? I just didn't have the time to check out X in heavier sizes, I wish I did.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
When the wind allows, I usually just drop down from 8wt to 6wt, but I do have a few 7wts I use. That niche is pretty much dominated by my trusted GLoomis GLX and a size 3 Atlas reel from Allen Fly Fishing. I also like my 7/8 Steffen Bros if I'm feelin glassy. It also works well with the Atlas. It's true though, just that one weight class does have advantages in the finesse department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I

ikankecil

20 years ago my fly rod stash consisted mainly of even numbered rods (4/6/8/10/12/14/etc). I didn't set out to do this, it's just how things coincidentally happened. Over time, I owned a few 7's that turned this habit on its head. The notion that "the rod for a bonefish trip is an 8wt" seems to have transcended time in spite of rods and lines changing a fair bit since that rule was put in place. A rod that was considered "fast" in 1985 would be anything but now. A rod considered "fast" in 2015 would have been only available in pool halls 20 years ago and used strictly for the break shot.

I own several of the current-issue 7wt rods that have been mentioned so far in this thread and would suggest anyone that is in the market for a rod go to a shop that carries as many different brands and models as possible and cast them all, each with the reel you intend to use (or a reel that is nearly the same weight as the one you intend to use). If there was any way to have the shop tape over the brand/model of rod before arriving, it'd be worth a $20 surcharge to the shop just so those factors weren't part of the decision.

On a recent trip to Abaco, I handed my current favorite 7wt rod/reel outfit to a friend whom I have fished with for decades all over the world. Although that rod suits my cast/arm/style better than any 7wt I've fished, he not only didn't see the magic in it, he actually really disliked it. Could he toss an entire fly line with it? sure, he could probably do that with a mop handle, but he just didn't like that rod. -I still do :D

The shoe size that fits my feet best isn't going to be the correct size for someone else's feet. ;)

adealarcon

Reaction score
SS

Havent had a chance to cast either the x or the asquith yet in the 7. I purchased the meridian before either was available. But both are on my list to test. I have only had the opportunity to test the 7 on freshwater flats casting to tailing carp and freshwater black drum and it has performed in spades.

green dragoon

Reaction score
I purchased a Meridian 9' 7wt last year. I put a Hatch reel on it. I absolutely love this rod.

Full disclosure:

* I'm very prejudicial towards Scotts. I like the Sage "Salt" too. The Method was too fast for me and with the Accel, I couldn't get past the cosmetics.

* Where I demo rods, I can't cast on the water. Maybe the Method wouldn't have felt too fast if I had that chance.....to load it while picking the line off the water.

* Lastly, I don't fish the Meridian in the salt. I bought it as my small mouth rod. I live 5 minutes from the Connecticut River which is a large river with great small mouth action. It isn't as windy though as the salt and the flies I cast aren't as big.

quattro

Reaction score
method for salt flats

the 7 wt method with a rio redfish line is my go to for the texas gulf flats... if true intend fresh/salt double duty then sage x and scott meridian absolutely worth a look. I own the meridian in 8 an 9 weights.
All great rods but the 7 wt method is a fantastic light flats rod.

el_deanyo

Reaction score
Re: method for salt flats

I use mine primarily for freshwater, but a 7wt, to me, is perfect for carp, bass, and throwing streamers to trout.

My go to combo is a 7wt sage motive and a nautilus FWX. The motives are great and, particularly if you're not going to be using it as your primary saltwater setup, are a great value.

trweston

Reaction score
I have been dreaming about a 7wt for throwing big streamers for over a year. Today I went and cast the Meridian, X, and Salt. I wanted to cast Method and Radian as well but I didn't have time. I loved both Meridian and X. If I had made the purchase today, X would have come home with me. It was so close however, I decided to wait and go back next week and recast both alongside Method and Radian. Clogrennane, I believe X is worth adding to your list!

fishrat

Reaction score
I have been dreaming about a 7wt for throwing big streamers for over a year. Today I went and cast the Meridian, X, and Salt. I wanted to cast Method and Radian as well but I didn't have time. I loved both Meridian and X. If I had made the purchase today, X would have come home with me. It was so close however, I decided to wait and go back next week and recast both alongside Method and Radian. Clogrennane, I believe X is worth adding to your list!

Why did you prefer the X over the Meridian?

trweston

Reaction score
Why did you prefer the X over the Meridian?

That was my knee jerk preference. Meridian and X provided superb line control. Much more than Salt. I thought X had a little lighter swing weight, but very minimal.

Possibly the more accurate answer, which won't help anyone, is that most of my rods are Scott and I want to try something different.