The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 09:54 PM

mark_lee is on a distinguished road
Default R.L. Winston Thread

I thought it would be very informative to have a thread for all things Winston. There are some folks on here that have a wealth of information about the company history and rod models. Being that I am a relative greenhorn when it comes to owning Winstons, I'd love to here folks experience and stories.

Last edited by mark_lee; 04-16-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-09-2017, 08:17 AM

lasor1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: R.L. Winston Thread

Hey mark lee I can't help you out much on older model winstons. I recently acquired a winston. It's a b3x 9' 5wt it's one of the stiffer faster action rods winston makes so I'd say it doesn't have that true winston feel to it as an wt or an ls I always wanted one but local shops didn't carry them or they didn't have what I was wanting to try out. I was always told by. Friends and local fly shop employees you don't want one there way too slow. Always pushing other brands. But to my surprise some days I like a fast casting rod next day I'm into a slower more flexing feeling rod. Anyway I bought my b3x used it was a trade in and when I picked it up and casted it the first time. I enjoyed it so it's my most goto rod for now. Would love to try the new winston air or an ls out. I am a big time on dry fly fishing. And I hear winston is king on dry fly fishing rods. So anyway I have caught the winston fever and i am hooked on winston fly rods and would like to know more about them as well.
mark_lee likes this.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:04 AM

timd is a jewel in the roughtimd is a jewel in the roughtimd is a jewel in the roughtimd is a jewel in the rough

I currently own 12 Winstons among to many other rods. Every thing from IM6s to Bllxs. All are different and have their own personalities. I also love my Scott's ,Sages and Loomis rods. Over the years Winston has made some special rods that I will always love.
lasor1 and mark_lee like this.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:35 PM

czando is on a distinguished road

Recently bought new 9' 4 weight Air, sweet rod for spring creeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mark_lee likes this.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:04 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by czando View Post
Recently bought new 9' 4 weight Air, sweet rod for spring creeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A size configuration uncommon among most premium line-ups is 8'/#4, an ideal rod for small brushy or canopied streams. This size is right in Winston's wheelhouse though and I cast new Air at Somerset and it is a honey of a little rod. I have not upgraded my 1985 Orvis of this size in all these years and casting Air got me thinking the time is eminent. I would test cast Air against its sister BIIIx in the same size and Sage's Little ONE in, I think, 8'2".

X, Asquith, Avantt, you name it, there is no 8'/#4 other than Winston and Stickman.
jofer likes this.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:24 AM

After fishing with a couple Orvis Trident's for a long time, I came upon the opportunity to pick up a couple Winston GVX/select rods. Being that my Trident's were mid-flex, I very much enjoyed casting the Winstons. The 9' 4wt GVX was a sweet little rod that I loved throwing dries and dry/droppers with. I recently was able to purchase a couple BIIIX's and it's ridiculous to me what a premium Winston feels like. I have the 9' 6wt & 8'6" 4wt, I will be having a blast on the tailwaters this year. We really live in a time of awesome rod companies with incredible rods. No matter your casting/fishing style, it seems the options are endless!!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 AM

el jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
A size configuration uncommon among most premium line-ups is 8'/#4, an ideal rod for small brushy or canopied streams. This size is right in Winston's wheelhouse though and I cast new Air at Somerset and it is a honey of a little rod. I have not upgraded my 1985 Orvis of this size in all these years and casting Air got me thinking the time is eminent. I would test cast Air against its sister BIIIx in the same size and Sage's Little ONE in, I think, 8'2".

X, Asquith, Avantt, you name it, there is no 8'/#4 other than Winston and Stickman.
S&S, to that list of 804, you can add T&T Aeros and Scott Flex. The Flex is not in the "premium" category, but some of the models in that line are reputed to be in the premium performance category (the 906 Flex is supposedly outstanding), but I don't know how the 804 fits in. For anything Scott, Telluride Anglers I have found to be a great resource.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I would also love to cast some of the models in the 8' 3wt configuration. I would love to have a great small stream dry fly rod. Any of y'all have experience with this?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:42 AM

el jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant future

I would like to hear from anyone who has any experience with the B3LS in the 270 and 376, and anyone who can compare the B3LS to the B3X in the 386 and 486 models. I have fondled Winstons in shops, but never cast one. Seems like an oversight, on my part.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:21 AM

moucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant future

Quote:

I'm another 8' 4 weight fan. They're nice tools not only for small streams but also for delicate dry-fly work.

I think I've got the same 2- piece Orvis rod you do (the Western Midge). When I bought it, shortly before it was discontinued, it was Orvis's best-selling model for fussy hatch matching on Pennsylvania limestoners.

I've got the 2-piece 8' 4 weight Winston Tom Morgan Favorite, a legendary gem.

But wait, there's more! I've also got a sweet 4-piece 8' 4 weight "Gary Borger Light Touch" model that Silver Creek recommended and was only sold for a couple of years before the manufacturer (Targus) went bankrupt. If I recall correctly, Gary let Silver try them before they came to market, and Silver liked the whole series so much he bought two of every model, so how could I resist that endorsement? And then I've got a 4-piece 7' 9" 4 weight TFO Finesse that I didn't really need, but was able to pick up for a song when a regional sales rep was refreshing his inventory, so why not.

So the new Winston may be wonderful, but I'm not quite ready to spring for another!
jofer likes this.