The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 12:43 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LL Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
We'll see how long that decision lasts. I can't imagine why a major rod manufacturer would not offer one slower rod in the lineup. There is a reason glass is getting very popular now. The slower action suits some folks tastes, and it seems to be a fairly sizable market based on this forum and the number of offerings.
I am under the impression though honestly I have not cast one that Sage MOD is perceived as a better deeper flexing design than Circa. I anticipate that Sage may introduce more and shorter lengths in that series. I do prefer Circa's color though.

And I am in total agreement with Dean_MT that #4, in whatever appropriate to habitat length, is an optimal light line/smaller water line size. Below that there is precious little line mass to controllably articulate.
glacierjohn and ia_trouter like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:59 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I am under the impression though honestly I have not cast one that Sage MOD is perceived as a better deeper flexing design than Circa. I anticipate that Sage may introduce more and shorter lengths in that series. I do prefer Circa's color though.

And I am in total agreement with Dean_MT that #4, in whatever appropriate to habitat length, is an optimal light line/smaller water line size. Below that there is precious little line mass to controllably articulate.
I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you aren't fully aware of, but many of us fish small water that makes an extremely fast rod quite a chore. If you only have a few feet of fly line out of the tip at the beginning of your cast, and the stream is 15ft wide or less, MED-Fast or even slower rods shine. This water isn't rare. It's the norm in much of the country. I expect Sage will re-enter this market at later time.
el jefe likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

ia, While it is true I fish some larger rivers and enjoy some faster rods, I actually fish almost the full spectrum of stream size and rod action. My knees won't handle little choked blue lines. Faster action rods do tend to shine brighter with more line out but not all new tech rods are fast action. Both Loomis Asquith and Sage X flex deeper than their famed predecessors and favor a more deliberately timed stroke. I look forward to your test casting, just for fun, one of the smaller Sage X rods, very impressive.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:13 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ia, While it is true I fish some larger rivers and enjoy some faster rods, I actually fish almost the full spectrum of stream size and rod action. My knees won't handle little choked blue lines. Faster action rods do tend to shine brighter with more line out but not all new tech rods are fast action. Both Loomis Asquith and Sage X flex deeper than their famed predecessors and favor a more deliberately timed stroke. I look forward to your test casting, just for fun, one of the smaller Sage X rods, very impressive.
I do look forward to casting an X. I wonder if fishiowa owns one yet? He fishes my water and does own some faster rods. Rich is my high end flyshop since we don't have one.

It will be interesting going forward to see if Sage has more truly slower rods coming out. Obviously they could do it just as well or better than anyone else. There is just a big push for slower stuff on the small streams now. Maybe it's a fad, but it is current reality. At least 50% of my friends new rod purchases are fairly slow by modern standards. New glass, bamboo, slower graphite etc.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM

napawino is on a distinguished road

I'm going to try one of these, after I get the 444 Peach.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:21 PM

Cant go wrong with either of these two little gems.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:22 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiliwen View Post
Napawino, I have that same size LL (4711-4), and it's my favorite fly rod. I lucked out and picked it up last summer for $225.

I keep my eye out for a 379 or 389, but doubt I'll be able to pick one of those up for less than double (and likely triple!) what I paid for the 4 weight.
Weiliwen, I surreptitiously just found a 379, packaged with a very nice condition (by the picture) Battenkill 3/4 disc reel! I went to post some gear I'm trying to sell and I see this brown with the white trim and take a closer look, it's not even listed as an LL, just a Sage Graphite III. I'm sure it's an LL. The combo is $350!

Someone, anyone let me know if you're interested I'll send you a link. I want someone else to buy this because I'm feeling twitchy.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I fished a lot of 3 weights in the Driftless area of Wisconsin that were plenty of rod to make the right cast to little spring creeks that were not more than 2 feet across and held 8 inch trout. There was little to no reason to go to a 4 weight to simply execute a cast that could very well done with my 3 weights. In fact, I really miss those small Driftless streams and those small fish on my 3 weights.

I own a MOD - a 590-4. I fished it yesterday on a Colorado Tailwater. It's a wonderful fly rod with a nice progressive action. I'd been fishing it with a SA VPT and yesterday I fished it with an Airflo Super Dry Elite that made the rod come alive. I can't say enough about this line of fly rods from Sage and the color has grown on me as it glistens in the Colorado sun. It's a "better" ZXL in my opinion and I'm a ZXL fan with 3 different sticks in my quiver from that line. The MOD is just as relaxed a casting rhythm as the ZXL but has more power in the butt to move big fish heads out of the current and into the bag. I've not fished a Circa but I know enough about it from reading that I can fairly surmise that it isn't close to a MOD.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 PM

napawino is on a distinguished road

The Mod is a highly superior rod compared to the Circa.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:07 AM

ixoye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by napawino View Post
The Mod is a highly superior rod compared to the Circa.
Can you elaborate that statement?

For my bad English.