The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 10:20 AM

napawino is on a distinguished road
Default LL Fever

I came across this 4wt LL and I could not resist.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LL Fever

Nice find, enjoy your rod!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:25 PM

wildabouttrout is on a distinguished road

Yes, nice rod indeed. I bought a Sage Custom LL Eddie Bauer Limited Edition a few years ago. It was a little bit of a mystery because it was not a traditional custom from a Sage blank as you might think (old tread on it in the forum).

Anyways, I have seen several posted around at a high price. Maybe someone can speak about collectability of the LL series, history, range in price, what makes them great, the variety and lengths they came in, and which ones are most desirable. ???

I'd be interested. I see one for sale near me at a decent price and wonder if I could use it to barter into another rod I am more interested in.

Thanks for the show and tell.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 PM

jayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud ofjayr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildabouttrout View Post
Yes, nice rod indeed. I bought a Sage Custom LL Eddie Bauer Limited Edition a few years ago. It was a little bit of a mystery because it was not a traditional custom from a Sage blank as you might think (old tread on it in the forum).

Anyways, I have seen several posted around at a high price. Maybe someone can speak about collectability of the LL series, history, range in price, what makes them great, the variety and lengths they came in, and which ones are most desirable. ???

I'd be interested. I see one for sale near me at a decent price and wonder if I could use it to barter into another rod I am more interested in.

I can speak a little on the LL rods from Sage.

By far the most desirable has to be the 389. I have seen paid prices on eBay easily hit as high as the low 800's for pristine rods.

There were many rods in the LL line that are pretty much standard, 490, 590, 279, 379, 486, etc. There were also some real oddballs in non standard lengths.

The LL rods are great small stream medium action rods. Obviously a lot of people think so as evidenced by their pricing.

I personally have 3. A 379, 486 and a 389. The type of fishing and places I fish, these rods do well and fit my casting style. I fish primarily the Smokies and WNC small streams.

FWIW
Old 03-19-2017, 02:39 PM

weiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to all

Napawino, I have that same size LL (4711-4), and it's my favorite fly rod. I lucked out and picked it up last summer for $225.

I keep my eye out for a 379 or 389, but doubt I'll be able to pick one of those up for less than double (and likely triple!) what I paid for the 4 weight.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:41 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildabouttrout View Post

There was a time when Edie Bauer opened retail stores that they had fly fishing departments. Sage built rods to the cosmetic specifications of Bauer from their RPL and LL series.

RPL was Sage's first homerun hit. The fastest rods of their day except perhaps for Orvis's Boron-Graphite's, they were concurrent with Winston WTs and Scott G's and Sage said, "we can build a deeper flexing rod too". And they did, LL. Personally, I liked RPL better but a western guide buddy who was a Sage dealer and booster just loved his 8 1/2'/#5 LL and under his influence, I got the 8'9" LL. Not too long afterwards, Sage introduced new SP, another moderate flexing rod but I thought and still do, a far better design than LL (or the Winston or Scott for that matter) and I got a 9'/#4 replacing the LL which, fortunately I did not get rid of and now my wife fishes it. On occasion I still fish that SP too though it long since has been upgraded and can't hold a candle to 9'/#4 NRX.

What the value in $ of these mid 1980's rods are I will leave to others to access. Not much in my opinion. Yes, I have a deep collection of great in their day rods that I bought new in their day. Many of them are still fine fishing rods but compared to their contemporary equivalents their only performance value is sentimentality. Fishing a vintage LL side by side with a same size Sage Circa or Mod, Douglas Upstream, Loomis Whispercreek or any other new deep flexer and it feels dull in comparison. Time marches on.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:27 PM

glacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to behold

After fishing fiberglass Browning Silaflex and Fenwick for 25 years I bought my first graphite rod in 1991. At the time I was working in downtown San Francisco and there was a nice fly shop a few blocks away. At lunchtime I would go in there to learn about these, new to me, fly rods. I remember they carried Sage, two models RPL and LL, Scott PowrPly (G-series) and (Winston IM6 I think).

I tried all of them in 8 1/2' and 9' five weights. I immediately hated the RPL, thought the Winston was too close to the fiberglass rods I had, but loved the Scott G and Sage LL. I agonized over the decision between the two, but ultimately chose the Scott as it seemed a little more versatile, more low end power and almost as sweet overall.

Years later I bought another Sage 590 RPL and a 586 SP. After a season of fishing I sold the RPL, but loved that SP until it broke a few years ago. I think you are going to love that LL. Oh, I also ended up with a three weight Winston WT that is awesome, I guess things go full circle sometimes.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:41 PM

tedwin183 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
After fishing fiberglass Browning Silaflex and Fenwick for 25 years I bought my first graphite rod in 1991. At the time I was working in downtown San Francisco and there was a nice fly shop a few blocks away. At lunchtime I would go in there to learn about these, new to me, fly rods. I remember they carried Sage, two models RPL and LL, Scott PowrPly (G-series) and (Winston IM6 I think).

I tried all of them in 8 1/2' and 9' five weights. I immediately hated the RPL, thought the Winston was too close to the fiberglass rods I had, but loved the Scott G and Sage LL. I agonized over the decision between the two, but ultimately chose the Scott as it seemed a little more versatile, more low end power and almost as sweet overall.

Years later I bought another Sage 590 RPL and a 586 SP. After a season of fishing I sold the RPL, but loved that SP until it broke a few years ago. I think you are going to love that LL. Oh, I also ended up with a three weight Winston WT that is awesome, I guess things go full circle sometimes.
Curious what Sage replaced the SP with if they didn't roll you a new section.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:51 PM

glacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to beholdglacierjohn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwin183 View Post
Curious what Sage replaced the SP with if they didn't roll you a new section.
I had my choice of ZXL or Z-Axis. I took the faster Z-Axis for a change of pace, but didn't like it.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 PM

seattlesetters will become famous soon enoughseattlesetters will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
I had my choice of ZXL or Z-Axis. I took the faster Z-Axis for a change of pace, but didn't like it.
Too bad. ZXL is one of the great moderate-flexing rods of all time.

A sleeper and truly underrated.
ghostrider408 and el jefe like this.