The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 PM

ghostrider408 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Sage 389 LL line recommendation

I'm hoping to get some input from you guys on new line for my 389 LL 2 piece. I am looking at Cortland 444 (peach), Rio Trout LT, Rio Lightline, and Airflo Super Dri (a few different lines in that series). I will be using it on a local tailwater for both small nymph setups and dry/emerger fishing. I am thinking a WF line, but a DT might work well too. Thanks for any help on this debate.

Last edited by ghostrider408; 04-20-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:38 AM

el jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sage 389 LL line recommendation

I don't have the 389 LL (few of us do, and we envy those that have them), but I do have the 389 Circa, which I think is similar. I have used the predecessor to the Rio Trout LT DT, which I think is the same line (note: the WF is a different animal, and I think too heavy for that rod) and an Airflo Superdri Elite DT. Both of those are nice lines on that rod. I would also think that the SA Mastery Trout (or whatever it's called now) would be a good line, base on my experience with that line on a Scott 884 G2. I think the Mastery Trout is the same taper to the middle of the line through both DT and WF. They will all cast dry flies and do light nymphing just fine.

Where in southern Colorado are you, if you don't mind saying?
ghostrider408 likes this.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:08 AM

brook rookie is a name known to allbrook rookie is a name known to allbrook rookie is a name known to allbrook rookie is a name known to allbrook rookie is a name known to allbrook rookie is a name known to all

Rio also makes an "LL" line that is designed for this type of older, deep flexing rod. It is the line I use on my 4711 LL rod, and I noticed a big improvement in feel when I started using it. For 3 wt. I would recommend the DT line. I use the DT on my LL and like I said, it works very well. According to earlier posts (especially a post by Sivercreek) there seems to be little if any advantage to using WF line on a rod below 5 wt.
jayr, udiablo and ghostrider408 like this.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:32 AM

jayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to behold

I have a 389 LL and have tried several different lines on it. Most have been WF lines, but since trying a DT line, I am really liking it the best of all.

Mine is the Rio LightLine in 3 DT. Probably after that the 3 weight Rio Gold is my favorite.
udiablo and ghostrider408 like this.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. It looks like I'll be getting a DT, now I just have to decide between the Rio Lightline and the Airflo Super Dri Elite.

El Jefe, I live in Pueblo, CO. The story behind my LL is this... I picked it up on a closeout in 1997 at a local bait/fly shop. At the time, it was the second Sage I got my hands on (first was a 590 RPL). My RPL was always my go to rod back then, so through the years the LL hasn't been fished as much as it should. Although, I have fished it on the San Juan in your home state (magical place, the San Juan is).
Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 AM

jayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to behold

I have also cast the AirFo Super Dri Elite on my 389, the WF version and it casts very well. I don't have any AirFlo lines in DT, all of mine are WF. But I will say this, I really like the AirFlo lines. They are harder to find locally for me and their dealer network is not as extensive as Rio or SA lines in my opinion.

AirFlo makes a very fine line.
ghostrider408 likes this.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 AM

el jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud of

Hey, Ghost, on the Airflo Superdri Elite, the DT is an interesting DT; it has a different taper at each end. Watch the two videos on the Airflo website for more insight. See Elite | Airflo USA .

One thing I have found with Airflo lines is that the coating on the loop at the end of the line can cut if you use too small a diameter leader loop on it (I tied my own leader with a small tippet diameter). To get around any further cutting, I just coated the loop with a thin coat of Loon UV Knot Sense, and that seems to have done the trick.

My brother-in-law is from Pueblo, and we also go through there 6-10 times per year on our way to Denver, and other points north. My wife is from Colorado Springs, and her family lives all the way from CS up to north suburbs of Denver. I also spend a weekend in Pueblo every January, for youth hockey games. Hanging around downtown among the rink and the riverwalk is a blast. The breweries down there don't detract from the experience!
mike_r and ghostrider408 like this.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 AM

Jayr and El Jefe, thanks guys for the info. on the Airflo line. I have read a little about it and it looks like a good fit. How is the memory on the Airflo?

Jefe, yes Pueblo is pretty cool town. Small world that your family is from around this area, cool deal. Breweries are cool, lots of good little restaurants too. Good fishing right in Pueblo as well. I have been fishing the tailwater in Pueblo for 23 years now, lol. I also fish for bass and walleye in the reservoir west of town. Have you ever fished the tailwater while in town?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider408 View Post
Jayr and El Jefe, thanks guys for the info. on the Airflo line. I have read a little about it and it looks like a good fit. How is the memory on the Airflo?

Jefe, yes Pueblo is pretty cool town. Small world that your family is from around this area, cool deal. Breweries are cool, lots of good little restaurants too. Good fishing right in Pueblo as well. I have been fishing the tailwater in Pueblo for 23 years now, lol. I also fish for bass and walleye in the reservoir west of town. Have you ever fished the tailwater while in town?
The several AirFlo lines I have, memory has not been a problem. The only line I have had memory issues with is an Orvis line.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:48 AM

Good to Jayr, thanks. I am probably going to go with the Airflo then. Will have to watch the front loop like El Jefe mentioned.