The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 08:04 PM

yatesd is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for "decent" starter outfit

Hi everybody,

This is my first post and I have read the beginner FAQ's on a first fly rod and most suggestions are really inexpensive or too expensive. I want a decent setup that I won't necessarily outgrow. I am looking for something that will handle trout, panfish, and maybe some smaller bass.

Anyone have any opinions on this $275 Orvis Clearwater II outfit?

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...sPostBack=true

Orvis TLS Matrix outfit at $450? Is this worth another $175?

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...&feature_id=17

L.L. Bean is offering this Sage Fli oufit for $350 (doesn't seem too detailed about exactly what is included)?

Sage FLi Series Fly Rod Outfits: Sage Fly Rod and Reel Outfits at L.L.Bean

TFO NXT outfit for $175 (recommended in FAQ)

TFO NXT Outfits fly fishing gear

Cabela Genesis outfit for $159 (how does this compare to TFO NXT?)

Cabela's Genesis&#8482 Fly-Fishing Outfits

I like the idea of getting warranty and support from Orvis, but I don't want to just pay for a name. Any thoughts? Your feedback is appreciated.

--
Doug
Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking for "decent" starter outfit

D
look to used or closeouts old models high end... winston, sage, scott, loomis...you don't need the "new car smell" in fly fishing IMHO
Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose the warranty and support from someplace like Orvis or LLBean (Sage) was tempting. Any suggestions for websites selling used or closeout fly rods?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:06 PM

As an update, I'm leaning towards these options:

TFO NXT Outfit 4pc $175

TFO NXT Outfits fly fishing gear

(details are limited, seems to include a cast reel)

Orvis Clearwater II outfit 2pc ($275)

Reel included appears to be solid aluminum and should be higher quality. I confirmed they use hq line and backing

Orvis Clearwater II outfit 4pc ($295)

Same thing, but 4pc

I can't find any reviews for the Clearwater II. It is new for 2008. Has anyone seen one of these rods?
Old 04-03-2008, 01:31 PM

oneistwo is on a distinguished road

Take a look at the Albrights. I'm pleased with mine and it was around $200. They have them for less too, but I wanted a 4-piece.

Albright Tackle | Fly Rods | Fly Reels |
Old 04-03-2008, 01:59 PM

hsmith1313 is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, the best way to go depends alot on how big a hurry you are in. If you gotta get it now I think any of the outfits in your list are fine. However, if you can wait a bit it is very likely that you can find some "high end" equipment at significantly reduced prices. Either used (a little more risky) or last year's model from a fly shop. Don't be embarrassed to ask fly shop owners/clerks when their stock typically goes on sale. Most of the fly shop owners/clerks that I have met don't judge people by how much they are willing to spend on gear. In fact, many I have talked to can't believe that people will actually pay as much as they do for some of the high end stuff.

IMHO, the average $600 rod is better than the average $300 rod, but not twice as good. If you get that $600 rod at 40%-50% off, you made a great deal.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmith1313 View Post
In my opinion, the best way to go depends alot on how big a hurry you are in. If you gotta get it now I think any of the outfits in your list are fine. However, if you can wait a bit it is very likely that you can find some "high end" equipment at significantly reduced prices. Either used (a little more risky) or last year's model from a fly shop. Don't be embarrassed to ask fly shop owners/clerks when their stock typically goes on sale. Most of the fly shop owners/clerks that I have met don't judge people by how much they are willing to spend on gear. In fact, many I have talked to can't believe that people will actually pay as much as they do for some of the high end stuff.

IMHO, the average $600 rod is better than the average $300 rod, but not twice as good. If you get that $600 rod at 40%-50% off, you made a great deal.
Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate all the feedback. Unfortunately, I am buying during peak trout season and need something now so I can practice for a week vacation in mid May. My family will be renting a cabin next to a privately stocked trout stream in WV. I just recieved my out of state license in the mail today. This is where I'll be staying:

WV Log Cabins - Harman's North Fork Cottages

Anyway, I found a local fly shop and had the chance to check out some of the stuff in person. The Evening Rise Fly Fishing Outfitters Home Page

I just purchased the Sage Fli 586-4 along with the Orvis Battenkill BS III reel. They used GPX line...I hope this is OK stuff.

Anyway, it was really nice to be able to see many of the items in person. Although the Redington kit looked like a decent value, I was looking for something a little nicer. I also got to play with the Orvis Clearwater II and Sage Launch. The FLi seemed nicer, but also came with a higher price.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at the two Orvis ads and it looks like the 2 pc is an 8'6" 5 weight and the 4 pc is an 8' 6" 4 weight. Is this right?

The mid-flex 7.5 is my favorite flex. A very nice medium to med/fast action with lotsa backbone and easy on tippet.
The BBS is a great little reel also. The same gearing as the Battenkill which has been around forever.
Orvis is so darn good about there merchandise also. It is a win, win situation.

But now I see you already made you choice, soooo never mind and right on LOL
Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm.....The reel and line are great, but....The FLi is a bit on the stiff
side (hence the GPX line). You will need to watch you backcast, as the
FLi 6wt I tried didn't have much feel to it. Most of the faster rods in this
price range lack "feel" so no big deal. When we lived in Valley Forge, I visited
the Evening Rise a few times. They were an Orvis shop back then. Did you
have the opportunity to cast the FLi and Launch together? Chances are you will do fine with the gear you bought, so enjoy !
Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 AM

oneistwo is on a distinguished road

And now, if you haven't already, take a couple lessons:

The Evening Rise Fly Casting Classes