The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 AM

brokeONE is on a distinguished road
Default Scott A2 and St. Croix Avid and legend Ultra info ?

I was checking out these rods out and was just wanting to get some reviews on these rods. This will be my first fly rod ,but I'm looking for something good that I'll kep for years. I'm also needing to get some info on good fly reels for under 100 dollars. I'll be mainly trout fishing in NC.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 PM

PKelly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scott A2 and St. Croix Avid and legend Ultra info ?

I can't speak to the St. Croix, but my first rod was an 8' A2 4wt. I absolutely love the rod, although it does take some time to learn to cast well. Then again, what rod doesn't? I have a Cabela's Drake reel with an additional spool with WF-3-F that I also use with this rod. I primarily fish in Michigan for trout, and the rod is just wonderful. The overall finish is very nice and appears to be nery well made. I just purchased a Cabela's Three Forks 5wt, and I hope it is half as good as my A2.

Patrick
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I have a St Croix Avid 8' 4 wt that is a dream to cast. A nice medium to medium fast action. I don't know much about the Scott A2 - don't know what kind of action it has...but I do know that the Avid is less expensive and if you are just starting out a medium to medium fast would be easier to learn to cast.... I also have a 9' St Croix Ultra with a fast action that I use on big waters in Wyoming and Idaho...but I gotta tell you the Avid is much more fun to fish with. By the way, my Avid throws a DT4F or WF5F equally well.

As for a reel - buy the best one you can afford, that way you won't out grow it too soon. You can get the Orvis Battenkill Barstock III for around $100...that is what I have on my Avid....look on ebay...sometimes you can get some good deals on G Loomis, Orvis, Ross etc.. I would suggest machined reels versus cast though.

Good luck
Old 04-09-2008, 11:05 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm.....My 9' 5wt Avid (IPC version) felt much more tip heavy than any
other 5wt I owned*. It casts well, and the tip heaviness isn't much of an
issue while casting, but it was tip heavy enough that I sold it. My 8'6" Legend
Ultra (pre-IPC) 5wt was a dandy, and I was dumb enough to sell it. I've cast the IPC Legend Ultra rods, and they seem pretty much the same as the pre-IPC.... . The best thing to do is find a shop that carries these and
other rods, and then cast a few. A good shop will steer you in the right direction, and can be invaluable if you have limited fly casting experience.

*I've heard other people make the same remark about the 9' Avid. The same people have said that the shorter Avids
are not tip heavy. I like 8'6" rods for trout anyway....
Old 04-17-2008, 12:53 PM

Schlick is on a distinguished road

I'm a total rookie, but purchased a St. Croix Avid 9ft 5wt this year. I read someone say it's buttery - what a weird way to explain a cast until you pick it up yourself. Lets just say I really like butter, and I really like my new St. Croix!

Schlick.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:46 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I've not heard FrankB2's experience with the 9" Avid....like I said the 8' is a dream and I love my 9' Ultra. My Avid is a couple of years old....Maybe the newer Avids cast differently.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't read too much into my comments about the 9' Avid I owned. It's just
that my 9' Aeroflex rods seem better balanced while standing in my living
room. Out on the water, the Avid is a fine rod to fish with. My problem was
standing in the living room, and trying to decide which 5wt's I really didn't
need. The guy that bought the Avid loved it....so did my wife. Wasn't she
surprised to find out I sold her rod !

It should be noted that the fit and finish of all my USA-made St. Croix rods
is excellent.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:34 PM

hilltool is on a distinguished road

My first rod (just last year) was a discontinued St Croix Imperial 9 ft 4wt. I had won a Rio Line and a Redinton Reel at an auction and then i got the rod for under 100.00. At any rate- I really like it, though i don't have anything to compare it to. Next i got an old St Croix fiberglass on ebay (an early to mid sixties) 7 ft 8--wich turns out to be about a 7wt (old line designations). And, finally, I just got an AVID 9ft 6 wt (4 piece) also under 100.00. I am learning to cast with the graphite St Croixs-though the fiberglass ( much slower action) is more of a challenge- but I am enjoying figuring it out. I live in Wisconsin and have appreciated the quality of St Croix gear for a long time---and it is built here. So there is a home-boy bias. None-the -less, I sense they will do me fine until I am good enough to appreciate the difference in something else. I do believe they have reduced my learning curve- and are forgiving of my mistakes, and the company has a good rep for customer service.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 PM

bulldog is on a distinguished road

I have the avid and the ultra you are thinking about. It depends on what you want to spend and youR casting ability. But let me tell you about today: I broke the tip on a ultra and sent it back (my fault ). They called me and asked if I wanted the same pole or want to up grade to the ledgend. I upgraded. Today I got a shirt and hat with my NEW LEDGEND rod. I LOVE ST CROIX AND this rod is great. I have 7 of their rods and you can not go wrong with the one that fits your casting style. I also have a sage or so. Go to your local shop and feel the rod and you will know what you like after casting.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:25 AM

brokeONE is on a distinguished road

I ended up getting a winston vapor 4w 8ft.