The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 10:57 AM

hammer84 is on a distinguished road
Default Question on the TFO lefty series rods

I'm returning my BPS 270 combo this week ( 5 wt ). The reel is just a POS. If it gets any water on it the dang thing just locks up.

TFO Pro or Finesse series
I'm planning on buying a TFO rod, one of the lefty series rods. My question is what is the difference between the pro and finesse.

I'm still a newbie to flyfishing. This will be trout rig used mostly at trout parks and some stream/lake fishing.

Once again thanks for all the great info on this site !!!

BTW, I'll need a new reel but so far I have been very happy with my Lamson Kontic on my 3wt so I may just buy another one of those
Old 04-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Question on the TFO lefty series rods

Hi hammer84,

You have discovered one of the problems with buying a low cost combo outfit. The reels suck and the fly line is not always very good. If you already have a Konic reel why don't you buy a second spool and use the same reel?

The Pro series TFO rods are a med-fast rod and is a very good all around rod. I think the Finesse rods have a slower action and are better suited to small stream or dry fly fishing. I have not cast a Finesse Rod but some of the forum members have them and like them.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 PM

hammer84 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the reply !!

I need to go fight with basspro tonight and I hopefully will have something resolved.

Quote:
You have discovered one of the problems with buying a low cost combo outfit. The reels suck and the fly line is not always very good.
I understand but it was a ~$275 combo, not high dollar, but I was expecting something much better.

I don't mind having a second reel so I will most likely pick one up.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:11 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

Professional series = medium-fast action
compared to the Finesse, it has a slight advantage in casting distance and turning over weighted nymph rigs

Finesse series = medium action
compared to the Professional, it has a slight advantage in casting closer-in and delicate presentations for dry flies

Of course, those aren't the only reasons for choosing either rod. Both rods can cast good distance, and in the hands of a competent caster both can delicately present dry flies and both can cast nymph rigs. I personally prefer medium action rods because the slower action fits my casting stroke better, so I have two TFO Finesse rods, the 3wt 7'9" and the 5wt 8'9".