The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Sage FLi 8'6" 5-wt?

Hi-

I'm considering purchasing this rod for small to mid size streams (and some ponds) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with either this Sage model or this particular line of rods?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:29 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage FLi 8'6" 5-wt?

Yes, I have a Sage FLi 9' 4 piece 4wt model which I use for
panfish, or trout.

If you plan on using this rod just for "smaller" fish you may want
to go with a 4wt, but that's just a thought.

Also, the only rod that I have under 9' is my 8'-6" 3wt Cabelas
Stowaway that is only for panfish. A longer rod does have it's
advantages, but again that's just my thoughts & others may
differ.

I believe we've had other threads on rod length, but test cast
each rod & pick the best one that suits you.

My Sage 4wt is the easiest casting fly rod I have. I cannot
recommend it enough. You may also want to decide whether
or not you want a 2 piece, or 4 piece, especially if you do any
trips with the rod.

Tie One On
Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 PM

yatesd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesro1978 View Post
Hi-

I'm considering purchasing this rod for small to mid size streams (and some ponds) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with either this Sage model or this particular line of rods?

Thanks!
I just bought this exact model a few weeks ago based on the recommendation of my local dealer. I'm still learning, so can't provide any real comparison. However, I am glad that I paid a little extra for the (4) piece since it will make it much easier to take with me.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:45 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Hi,
Spent all day today fishing with my Sage Fli 9' 5 wt. and I really like it. I also own the Fli 9 1/2' 6 wt. They both cast great and handle any trout and steelhead I've gotten attached to! I happen to really like the faster action and I personally like the extra length (9' vs. 8 1/2') - it tends to help certain situations rather than be a liability.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi sesro1978,

The Sage FLi 5wt is a very good rod. You won't go wrong buying one. The 8'5" size is very handy and may feel a littler lighter in hand that the 9'. The 9' may be a more all around length but there are lots of people happy with 8'5" length. The 5wt I use most is a 9'6" that I use for just about everything that a 5wt can handle.

Since you will be targeting some smaller streams you might like the 8'6" length better. If you are really going small stream fishing you might even like an 8' length. OK, now I have really confused you. You may want to stick with the 8'6" length until you get some experience.

Frank
Old 04-19-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi sesro1978,

The Sage FLi 5wt is a very good rod. You won't go wrong buying one. The 8'6" size is very handy and may feel a littler lighter in hand that the 9'. The 9' may be a more all around length but there are lots of people happy with 8'6" length. The 5wt I use most is a 9'6" that I use for just about everything that a 5wt can handle.

Since you will be targeting some smaller streams you might like the 8'6" length better. If you are really going small stream fishing you might even like an 8' length. OK, now I have really confused you. You may want to stick with the 8'6" length until you get some experience.

Frank
Thanks all for your opinions and assistance here. I ended up picking one up last night at LL Bean in West Leb. NH; great guy named Steve works there really helped me out. I'm looking to get out later on this evening and really give it some water-time.

~Sesro1978 :-)
Old 04-19-2008, 12:16 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a 9' 6wt Fli from an LL Bean store last month, mostly because you
can return it to LL Bean for a free exchange if it gets damaged. I
bought mine about 5 minutes before the store closed, and when I got home
found several deep scratches on the butt section. I decided to test cast it
anyway, and felt it didn't give much feedback. It did the job, but it was kind
of without sensation. I was partially ticked off at the scratches, so that may
have tainted my evaluation. I returned it, and didn't feel waiting for the salesman to go through the other rods they had looking for scratches, etc.

It's extremely possible that the 5wt Fli is a more limber rod...I don't know.

If you live near an LL Bean store, you could break your Sage every weekend, and get a free replacement .
Old 04-19-2008, 09:15 PM

Took my new Sage out on the river tonight- what a great rod! Responsive, easy to cast, great feeling :-) I'm really happy with this rod... Would have been even happier if I would have caught a fish or two. Baby steps...baby steps ;-) Still fairly early in the season up here in VT and I think I need to be down deeper or perhaps even on the bottom...

~Sesro1978
Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesro1978 View Post
Took my new Sage out on the river tonight- what a great rod! Responsive, easy to cast, great feeling :-) I'm really happy with this rod... Would have been even happier if I would have caught a fish or two. Baby steps...baby steps ;-) Still fairly early in the season up here in VT and I think I need to be down deeper or perhaps even on the bottom...

~Sesro1978
The FLi is a great rod. I had a 4 wt FLi before my tackle addiction kicked in and I sold it to buy something more expensive. Now, I wish I had kept it as an extra rod.

Re: fishing early in the season - try some streamers.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
The FLi is a great rod. I had a 4 wt FLi before my tackle addiction kicked in and I sold it to buy something more expensive. Now, I wish I had kept it as an extra rod.

Re: fishing early in the season - try some streamers.
Yea, I was throwing around a Tungsten weighted Woolly Bugger last night (with a little flash in the body) but I don't think the Tungsten head was getting me down as deep as I need to be (water is high). I picked-up some non-toxic shot to pinch on later this afternoon...