The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 01:24 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Orvis Superfine Trout Bum v. Echo 2?

I tagged this question earlier on another older somewhat-related thread, but got no response (that's what I get for hijacking ), so thought I'd ask it again in a dedicated thread since it's an urgent question for me.

What I am looking for is a 3-weight suitable for Rocky Mountain small-stream spooky trout with enough brush and canopy to make my 4-weight 10-footer or 5-weight 8'9" rods a foolish choice.

I'd been thinking of the Echo2 7'8" # 3, a major appeal being the two different tips the rod comes with - a fast action "A" tip and a medium fast "D" tip. However, the current $100-off sale price on an Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 7'6" # 3 with a "Full Flex 2.5" action has me considering this rod as well. Even though the Orvis is normally more than twice as expensive as the Echo 2, with its $100 sale discount and another $100 I have in various Orvis gift certificates the price gap closes to near a tolerable $100.

Under these price circumstances, which rod would you chose (or other rods which you think are more cost-effective for the need)?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:46 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Orvis Superfine Trout Bum v. Echo 2?

hands down the orvis rod, nothing more is needed to be said.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I agree with Bob,

The shorter rod with the fiberglass action will make the best rod for sneaky fishing. Fro really tight stuff I'd go to 6'6" if they have one.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fly2Fish,

For the Rocky Mountains I think the Orvis 7'6" 3wt would be a good choice. Another thing to consider is the Orvis 7'0" 4wt. Then you could use the same reels and lines that you already have for your 4wt.

Frank
Old 08-20-2010, 04:34 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Another thing to consider is the Orvis 7'0" 4wt. Then you could use the same reels and lines that you already have for your 4wt.

I basically do this.

Lately I have been going to a lots of small streams that I have never been to before and so I'm not sure what it will be like.

I have a Redington CT 8'6" 4wt and a White river ultra light 5'8" 4 wt.

So I kinda guess before I head of down to the stream and rig up one of them, then stick the other rod into my pack.

I have had times when I thought I would need the short rod and then found that the longer one would be better so I just swap out the reel, and vice versa.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am betting the Orvis would be a delight. Made with the same thermoplastic resin found in the Helios.
Going to be LIGHT!!!! The reel seat is awesome and the full flex is a dream. Saves on Tippet also.

I like the Echo 2, but "I" would definitely go with the Trout Bum....oh wait, I already did....LOL
Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Orvis if it were me.
The extra tip on the Echo is just a waste of graphite. Good idea if it worked. I think it's just a selling point. You would put the distance tip on and it would stay. The accuracy tip is a joke.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

If it were me fishing those conditions I would get the 761-4 Trout Bum (1wt). However given the fact you want a 3wt.....I would still get the Orvis rod.

I had a 761-4 Trout Bum and that thing was fun. The only reason I sold it is that I found a rod that I liked even better (so I bought quite a few of them). I have never fished the 763-4 Trout Bum 3wt; if it is anything like my old rod you should be happy with it.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:00 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Okay, from Sandfly onwards it's unanimous for the Orvis Superfine Trout Bum (Mojo & Joni pretty much put away the Echo 2, for reasons I was also wondering about). I don't know where else someone could get the quality advice that you all have given me here. You've gotten me thinking beyond the box I'd placed myself in. For example, I really don't know why I picked a 3-weight for these conditions rather than, say, a 1, 2 or 4-weight, except that I thought a 1-weight might be a bit extreme in case I tied into something that I'd wear out before landing (although Sasha disabuses me of this notion) and a 4-weight might not be delicate enough for dry fly presentations in these conditions. Another reason for the 3-weight was that I could perhaps use one of my BBS II reels for a 3-weight as well as for my Helios ZG 10' 4-weight (or instead get a shorter and more flexible Superfine 4-weight as Frank and Mudbug suggest, for not only reel but line-sharing reasons). However, if it makes sense to really step down to a shorter rod for overgrown creeks along the lines that Ard suggests, then perhaps Orvis' Superfine Trout Bum 6'0" 2-weight Full-Flex 3.0 makes more sense as an alternative to my 10' 4-weight or 8'9" 5-weight if I'm willing to shell out for another reel (BBS I?) and line.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Yes there are the people that think you have to have a 4wt on small streams. However you would be surprised at what this rod can do. Like I stated in my last post the only reason I sold mine is that I found a rod I liked even better. Here are some of my old shots of the Trout Bum 1wt:

Click the image to open in full size.