The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 01:38 PM

nittspike is on a distinguished road
Default Cortland Brook Series

Hi All,
I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to cast or own the new Brook series of rods by Cortland. I understand cortland is a decent line company but have no idea about their rods. I am interested in the 8ft 4wt model. I prefer those small creeks and streams, but want to also know I have some backbone if needed. The Brook claims and description on their website have intrigued me. I am looking at all 8ft 4wt rods out there and have cast a few; Orvis Superfine, Sage, Winston etc, but based on those prices I am looking at maybe going a little less expensive, ie less than $300 or lower. Any suggsetions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Old 04-23-2008, 03:24 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cortland Brook Series

See if you can cast the St Croix Avid in an 8'. I have the 4 wt and it is a dream to cast. I believe it is around $200.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I've been fishing my sample, and the 8' 4 weight is an exceptional rod. I own a Winston TMF (perhaps the finest small stream dry fly rod ever) and the Brook gives it a run for the money. For 179.99 with case it is a great buy. I have guides using and loving them in Northern MI, and in the Smokeys. We spent a ton of time developing these new rods and it shows. I have seen plenty of Jaws drop at shows and demos.

Cortland - Brook Fly Rods
Old 04-24-2008, 07:47 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's about time that Cortland updated its site. I swear I've been checking the
site regularly, and there was nothing about the Brook or Big Sky rods. The
whole site has changed from that old format, and it looks like they finally
"get it" as far as marketing image. The Brook and Big Sky rods certainly look
the part, and I'd like to try one.

The Diamondback site needs updating still.......
Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM

nittspike is on a distinguished road

Hey Burk..any idea where in the east I might be able to test cast a Brook Series? I see yourt are the MW rep..can yu maybe forwrd this on to your East coast rep? I live in North Delaware.

Also you site does not say what material the rod is made of, any idea?
Old 04-24-2008, 06:36 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittspike View Post
Hey Burk..any idea where in the east I might be able to test cast a Brook Series? I see yourt are the MW rep..can yu maybe forwrd this on to your East coast rep? I live in North Delaware.

Also you site does not say what material the rod is made of, any idea?
It's made of a mid-modulus graphite. But the material is not near as important as the taper, and the tapers are the real deal. I was at Rusty Gates Ausauble Lodge today in MI. And one customer, (an older gentleman who owns several Winstons) was very impressed, especially with the 8' 4 weight. My next customer pried my sample away from me to fish this week with opening day (he wanted to get customer reactions) on the North Branch of the Ausauble. I'll miss that rod this week But it's cool.

As far as were to find them, I would email Cortland for outside my territory. i know what stores bought them from me, but I can't assume every pro shop added them.