The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 10:06 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default TFO Axiom steelhead rod?

So I am in the market for a steelhead rod. But I dont like to waste money when I dont have to. I have a 5wt TFO axiom and I was wondering if It can handle steelhead in WI and northern IN. I dont mind buying another rod but if it can handle it I rather keep it. so any ideas out there
Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TFO Axiom steelhead rod?

A 5 weight Axiom could handle a Steelhead, but the extra time on the fight might wear down the fish too much. Get a 9'6" or 10' 7 weight for a dedicated Steelhead rod.

MP
Old 08-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: TFO Axiom steelhead rod?

Hi Smallie,

You can catch some pretty big fish on some pretty small rods but................ Having done this I can tell you that it becomes hard on the fisherman as it does the fish. I am not a fellow who likes to throw money at a situation but when you move (as MP advised) to a 7 weight rod in 9 or 10 foot you will have not only the additional backbone for dragging in the big boys but you'll have a fighting butt on the rod. I can't overstate the value of the fighting butt on a big game rod. On a good day you may hook into 20 or more fish and even counting the ones that come off the hook your wrist and forearm will be noticing the torque of the single hand rod with no butt.

So there you have it, choose a good rod in 7 or even 8 weight and you can chase coho and light kings too.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;