The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 04:58 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default Tfo Pro?

So ive been looking around for my first fly rod for a while now and i think i have narrowed it down to two fly rod combos. one is the TFO PRO which i would buy at this link.

Temple Fork Signature Series - 9' , 5wt. Outfit

then there's the Orvis clearwater 2 fly rod combo. The only problem with this is i cant find it anywhere so if somebody could post a link that would be great.

So which one of these combos do you like?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:22 PM

meamer is on a distinguished road

well im totally new to fly fishing. i bought a fly rod as soon as my aunt moved to golden ,colorado. i need some tips on how to start out and stuff to get.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:52 PM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tfo Pro?

I have cast the TFO, Echo and St. Croix and I like them all, the daugther has the St. Croix, the wife uses an Echo and I have a TFO an Echo and an Okuma all n the under $200 range, also check the rods, reels and combos at the Full Creel linked on the home page.
Wyatt
Old 05-01-2008, 11:58 PM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meamer View Post
well im totally new to fly fishing. i bought a fly rod as soon as my aunt moved to golden ,colorado. i need some tips on how to start out and stuff to get.
If you are in Golden check out Charles Fly Shop in Arvada they will be real helpful for the whole Denver and front range area, also check into some of the classes offered for casting and entomoligy.
Wyatt
Old 05-02-2008, 12:37 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I have the tfo pro 5wt. can't tell ya how it cast yet cause I been busy using my cabelas 8wt on steelhead and didn't try it but I might this week for smallies.I have heard good reviews tho! thats why I got it! plus lifetime warranty!!! pm me for a website for a good deal on the tfo with rod/reel and line/backing and orvis rocky mountain reel. everything for 180 bux or so. free shipping. I got it from there also. great place and everythings brand new.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:50 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I own a TFO pro 4, and a sage 5wt ds2. The ds2 is made slightly better, but thats about it. The pro has quite a bit of backbone for a 4 weight and i can throw small streamers with it even, it would be medium action? i believe. A 5wt pro should be a pretty versatile rod without being stiff as a board.

If you want a medium/slow, and dont mind a downgrade in quality, TFO signature is an alright rod that is 30-40? dollars cheaper than the pro, but it wont throw the flies on the larger end as easy. But if you were going to be only dry fly fishing and nymphing it might not be an issue.