The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Brushy is on a distinguished road
Default Outfits

Hey everyone!

New to the forum, and new to fly fishing!

I'm trying to figure out what gear to buy, and I'm wondering what experienced anglers think about pre-set up outfits (like the Sage Launch series or the Redington Crosswaters), or if it's a better idea to piece an outfit together by myself (buying rod/reel/line, etc separately).

Also, if I'm looking between both of those rods, what do people think of them? Obviously the Launch is a better rod, but is it relatively better for the price difference?? Or is it just a name brand thing?

Thanks!!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Outfits

Brushy

Just starting out or been fishing for years outfits are a good way to go. All the various components are usually discounted when bought all together. I don't have any specific knowledge about the outfits you mentioned. I'm sure other will gladly share their insights. I just bought two orvis outfits to use as client rods this season. I went with orvis based on reputation and my experience with their gear as well as their 25yr guarantee. You may want to give their Clearwater II outfits a look see.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-06-2008, 09:42 AM

Davo,

Right on! Thanks, I'll check that out!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Brushy,

In regards to your question about the Redington and Sage outfits. With any rods from one of the big 5 American makers you will have some brand cost involved. I think that the American rods offer a lot for the money and I am willing to pay a small amount for a brand name.

I don't know a lot about the Redington rods but here is what I see when comparing the two.

The Sage Launch,

1. American Made.
2. Have never heard of any new caster complaining about how the Launch casts.
3. The Reel is cast aluminum and weighs 5 7/8oz (Model 1650).
4. List price $375

The Redington Crosswater,

1. Imported.
2. The Reel is graphite composite and weighs 5.1oz.
3. List pirce $190.

I don't have any feed back about the Crosswater rods and how well they cast. Higher priced Redingtons cast very well.

If you are looking for a combination or low priced outfit you should look at this FAQ link. It shows rods that the Moderators are familiar with and you can expect good performance from any of the listed rods and reels. I should say that some of the combinations use very inexpensive reels made with some kind of composite material. They work but you will want to upgrade in the future. The same can be said about the fly line.

Frank
Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

"Obviously the Launch is a better rod"

not necessarily. these years you'll find some very nice rods from smaller companies than what the big ones offer. or at least on par. not aways but often.

a combo can be very helpful to someone new to fly fishing and if you find yourself a bit flummoxed in the choices and challenge of piecing an outfit together, go for the combo. but not all combos are the same either. i have a buddy who bought a cabelas stowaway combo and the line was ugh, i thought the reel was super-cheap in quality but the rod was fine. at the early stage of flyfishing though, i wouldn't worry too much about it. chances are one rod and reel will not be enough anyway... LOL

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Many other sporting goods stores offer "starter" outfits for anyone
interested in beginning to fly fish. You may want to check out Cabelas,
or Bass Pro Shops, etc. Some of the outfits are a little more affordable
then the major manufacturers out there. I have advised several who
wanted to learn to fly fish, but were a little sheepish about spending
a good chunk of $$$. These outfits are a good learning tool & if you get
"the bug" as many of us have, then stepping up to a better rod, reel, etc.
can always come later. When I've been out in the river teaching those I
have advised, the combos they purchased casted fine & worked out well
as a learning tool. Fly fishing equpiment is like so many other items, you
can pay a little, or pay a lot, it's totally up to you how much $$$ you
wish to put out.

Just a thought,

Tie One On-----------<*))))))><
Fisher of Men
Old 05-06-2008, 11:07 AM

Frank: I checked the FAQ section and saw all the recommendations already, the problem is that I live in a smallish town that isn't close to any other towns and my selection is not the greatest.

Tie one on: I've checked Bass Pro and Cabelas, but I'm in Canada and although I've ordered through Cabelas before for hunting stuff, the duties/brokerage fees are BRUTAL and I'd rather not do that again if I can get around it.

The local store here has a decent selection of Sage and Redington (that's why those are the two that I know more about).

And ya, I can already tell that I'm starting some kind of addiction, because along with searching for my 'beginner' outfit, I've already got my eyes on a few bass rods since I'd like to fish a lot of bass when I move back east. At least I don't have a girlfriend/wife to fight with about spending money on fishing - I have a boyfriend who let's me spend as much money as I want on fishing stuff!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brushy,

I was just looking at the FAQ thread about buying gear and I see that Curtus is recommending the Redington Crosswater. I have to think that Curtus has some experience with the Crosswater and thought it was OK.

Frank
Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Hi Brushy,

I didn't see you last post and that is important. If your store is a fly shop they should let you cast a Launch or a Crosswater. That will tell you a bunch even if you don't know how to cast. They will give you a short lesson and you should be able to get a feel for both rods. Since you have both Sage and Redington to look at, compare the rods, reels, and see which one you like best. Do to the price of the Crosswater combo, I would be suspect of the fly line. It may not be very good and you need a good fly line.

I don't want to influence you too much but if I wanted a low cost rod I would choose the Launch over the Crosswater. It depends mostly on low much you have to spend.

Frank
Old 05-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushy View Post
Hey everyone!

New to the forum, and new to fly fishing!

I'm trying to figure out what gear to buy, and I'm wondering what experienced anglers think about pre-set up outfits (like the Sage Launch series or the Redington Crosswaters), or if it's a better idea to piece an outfit together by myself (buying rod/reel/line, etc separately).

Also, if I'm looking between both of those rods, what do people think of them? Obviously the Launch is a better rod, but is it relatively better for the price difference?? Or is it just a name brand thing?

Thanks!!
There would be no way i would recommend a 375 dollar outfit to a 25 year old who is thinking about getting into the sport(unless you already fish over 30-40 times a year, then you should consider it).

I am not saying that cause i disapprove of sage rods, the one american made rod i own is sage, and its a great rod, however, i also love my cheap asian made rods as well.