The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 04:43 PM

tbacala is on a distinguished road
Default Scierra

I'm just getting back into fly fishing after a 30 year lay off. I'm looking for a low end 9' 5wt rod and am considering:
Orvis Clearwater II
Echo Classic
TFO Pro
Scierra IC3
Scierra Sweep
There seems to be lots of information on this forum except on the Scierra. A salesman has recommended this brand above the TFO Pro, but I a bit skeptical. Right now, the IC3 can be had from Cabala's for about $100, making it the cheapest of the lot.

Do any of you have any personal experience with Scierra, and in particular, how does it rate against the others.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Scierra

Hi tbacala,

I see that no one has responded to your post. Lets see if I can help you. I don't think the Scierra rods are well known. Cabela's has the Scierra IC3 on sale with 1/3 of the price off. That tells me they did not sell well or they are last years models.

They are fast actions rods and you may or may not like the action according to how well you cast. Most beginners are better off with a slow to medium action. You say you have not fly fished for 30 years so you may fall in the beginner category.

You list three very good rods that are very fishable and I would pick them over the Scierra just because the Scierra is not well know. All of the rods you have listed are imports. Low cost imports can be a **** shoot if you don't pick a rod with a good reputation. I would not let low cost be the deciding factor. Buy a rod that is known to be a good casting rod for a reasonable price.

Now all of this good advice is out the window if you are close to a store who sells the Scierra rods and you can cast one and compare it to other rods. Always best to cast any rod before you buy it.

Frank
Old 05-08-2008, 03:16 PM

tbacala is on a distinguished road

Frank,

I appreciate your reply. Short of getting a glowing report on Scierra, I am inclined to buy some other brand.

I've read where the Scierra rods were on sale for $50 at Cabela's, but the lowest I've only seem them listed is $99. (I might actually be willing to gamble at the lower price.) Again, a dealer I spoke to on the phone was pushing Scierra over TFO.

I think I'll end up with an Echo or TFO unless I can find a great deal on a Sage, Scott, or Orvis.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:01 PM

fin??whatfin?? is on a distinguished road

i just got a scierra reel and only fished it 2 but it is really nice it is the xdp reel.
i just learned they are a based in denmak so i guess they are not really over here in the usa to much yet.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Rudolf is on a distinguished road

I just came back, actually, a month ago, from a fishing trip to Argentina for Dorado. As for rods, I brought a Scierra, an Orvis Clearwater and a Cabelas brand - all 8 weight, 9 foot rods. The Scierra was my rod of choice for the whole trip, it was the model that Cabelas had just on sale for $99. Great rod, I can only recommend it.
But on the other hand, I just bought earlier this year a Beulah 6 weight rod, also a superb rod that I can only recommend - price wise it is about $250.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 AM

Rudolf is on a distinguished road

I just came back, actually, a month ago, from a fishing trip to Argentina for Dorado. As for rods, I brought a Scierra, an Orvis Clearwater and a Cabelas brand - all 8 weight, 9 foot rods. The Scierra was my rod of choice for the whole trip, it was the model that Cabelas had just on sale for $99. Great rod, I can only recommend it.
But on the other hand, I just bought earlier this year a Beulah 6 weight rod, also a superb rod that I can only recommend - price wise it is about $250.