The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 08:15 PM

tbacala is on a distinguished road
Default Help me pick a rod

I haven't fly fished in a long time, so I'll call myself a beginner. I'm looking for a quality rod in 9' 5wt that won't break the bank. I've narrowed he field to:
1. Orvis Clearwater
2. TFO Pro
3. Echo Classic
4. Sage Launch (only if I can find a decent deal on one)
5. Scott V2 (again, only if I can find a decent deal on one)

I know that I'll also need a reel. I'm considering:
1. Orvis Battenkill
2. Orvis Mid Arbor
3. Loomis Venture
4. Lamson Konic

Are there any clear winners and losers here?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help me pick a rod

I'd say you'd be well served with any of those rods. The Echo would be my pick of that litter.

On the reels, I'd stay away from the Loomis. Its mostly very adequate, but I think they still build it with a exposed roller bearing that can get grit into it. The others would all serve you well. The Ross Cimarron is another worth considering.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I've heard good things about the Echo...but I've never cast one. I do have a 6 wt Launch that I love....so I would be comfortable recommending that. I agree with Cliff to stay away from the Venture... I have the Orvis BBS and I like it....I've had it for years and no problems. If you are going to get the Battenkill go on and get the BBS....you will be happy with it.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:38 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

All the rods you named are good rods. I recently purchased a new 5 wt and after going over all the normal selections I decided to look for a rod builder that I liked. Discuss the types of fishing I wanted to do and where I would be going.

This rod is for a two week trip to Alaska, during which I will spend the majority of the time many miles from the fly shop.

We discussed blanks, wraps, seats, tips, single foot, double foot, 4 piece vs 3piece, etc. In the end he built me a rod that looks great, is sensitve, but he put extra effort into some of the areas to make sure it was durable.

Ultimately I enjoyed participating the building of my new rod............that would be my recommendation.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tbacala,

You have a good selection of rods and anyone of them would be a fine beginner rod. I have to go along with the boys on the Venture. I think any of the other reels would be a good choice.

Frank
Old 05-09-2008, 11:56 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll want a decent line as well. It looks like you want to keep the cost
down, and I'd put more money into the rod and line, and draw funds away
from the reel.

Since you say you're a beginner, what type of fishing would you like to do?
Don't overlook the option of an 8'6" rod. I have rods that range from 7'6"
to 9', and really prefer an 8'6" 5wt. If you siphon funds away from the reel,
a St. Croix Avid could be a fine rod.

I bought a Crystal River Cahill reel for one of my 4wt rods a few years ago.
A poster on another website said that he bought one because of its light
weight, and also because he was looking for something that simply holds line.
I paid $12 at Sports Authority, and the reel weighs 3.5oz. It's held up just
dandy, and even has a functional drag. Going that route would free up $$$
that would be better spent on the rod and line . A snazzy reel can
be purchased at a later date.....
Old 05-09-2008, 03:38 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I just picked up two Clearwater II 906-2 6wt mid flex combos, I sustituted the Rocky Mountain Turbine III large arbor reels since I already have enough BBS reels. I have not had the chance to try them on the water yet but have cast them about the yard. They are very nice. Have a light feel to them and a good finish. They come with the Orvis 25yr guarantee too which is good. Can't say too much on the reels till I test them out on some fish. Substituting them in the combo did reduce the price about $30.00 dollars each, and I've been wanting a couple large arbors.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbacala View Post
I haven't fly fished in a long time, so I'll call myself a beginner. I'm looking for a quality rod in 9' 5wt that won't break the bank. I've narrowed he field to:
1. Orvis Clearwater
2. TFO Pro
3. Echo Classic
4. Sage Launch (only if I can find a decent deal on one)
5. Scott V2 (again, only if I can find a decent deal on one)

Are there any clear winners and losers here?
I have a couple TFO Pros and an older Scott. I use the Scott the most. It may cost a little more but you get what you pay for. Being a slow caster it works best for me.

I am also impressed with the TFO rods (thanks Cliff). For the price they cast very well.

If possible, cast them all to see what works best for you. You can't go wrong with any of the rods you mentioned.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:45 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I recently bought a rod in the same price range and ended up going with an Albright A-5. I like it a lot. I did almost buy the Echo Classic rod and did get a chance to cast it and like it a lot as well. Do an internet search for the Albright and see if you can find anyone near you that has them and cast it. Also read any reviews about em you can find. Good luck in your search!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:26 PM

tbacala is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for the input

Thanks for all the input guys.

I was all set to buy an TFO Pro rod with an Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor reel and line from Fly Shop Closeouts.com for $222, but when I called they told me they were waiting on a deliver of 9' TFO rods.

After that call, I ran across a decent deal on a Sage Launch and bought it instead. I am waiting on the rod to be delivered and in the meantime, I'll be looking at reels--right now I'm inclined toward Orvis reels since I've been happy with an 8/9 Battenkill that I've owned for a while.

Again, I appreciate all of you taking time to give a novice some advice.