The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 AM

zorro700 is on a distinguished road
Default St. Croix legend ultra

Are all St. Croix legend ultra rods the same or is there an older model and a newer model with all the "new" technology?

thanks,

Chad
Old 05-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: St. Croix legend ultra

Hi Chad,

No one has responded so I will give you what information I know. It was in 2003 that St Croix started making the Elite and Ultra using the IPC (Integrated Poly Curve) contour. In 2005 they started using the ART (Advanced Reinforcing Technology) on the Elite and Ultra. ART uses carbon fiber to reinforce the rod at critical points.

If they made Ultras before these dates then they won't have the latest design features. If you stick to rods made in 2005 and later you will have their newest design. If you have questions about particular rods, I would Email St Croix.

Frank
Old 05-18-2008, 09:03 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I'd certainly go with a new model. I believe the new St. Croix technology works. The Legend, however, is a fast/stiff rod. In fact, when I first starting fishing mine I wasn't sure I liked it. I felt it was too stiff, then I realized that somehow the rod loaded fairly easily and that I didn't have to cast so hard.

The rod is a real cannon.

If you want a medium-fast rod I'd look at the Avid.

Randy
Old 05-18-2008, 12:45 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've owned pre and post IPC St. Croix Legend Ultra and Avid rods. They're
all good. While St. Croix may describe the LU as a fast rod, it's not a stiff
rod. It's responsive, and as noted above, casts well with little effort. Many
of the "Fast" rods I've tried lately are also very stiff, and that's not my cup
of tea.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

I have one of the older technology ultras in a 6 wt.--- I believe I bought it about 10 years ago. Cosmetically, looks about the same as the newer rods, but not nearly as stiff. It is my rod of choice for float tubing, where the nice balance between power and sensitivity works great, esp with finer tippets.