The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Orvis Hydros vs. Orvis Superfine rods

Sasha & Joni

Thanks for feedback on Orvis rod changes. Will be interesting, along with what the other guys do.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patyer

Unsanded blanks save the mfg a few steps when making the rod. They are slightly heaver than a sanded blank. [ IMHO not enough to worry about. ]
Some color coat the blanks after sanding, others don't.
__________________________________________________ ______
Sasha

Unless my memory fails me [ a possibility these days ] one of the Orvis unsanded rods was what they called HLS. They also had a rod labeled Westerner, or something close to that. It was supposed to be faster than the rest of the HLS series, apparently the reason behind the name. Would be interesting to compare it to today's fast rods.

imxer
Old 09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Sasha & Joni

Thanks for feedback on Orvis rod changes. Will be interesting, along with what the other guys do.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patyer

Unsanded blanks save the mfg a few steps when making the rod. They are slightly heaver than a sanded blank. [ IMHO not enough to worry about. ]
Some color coat the blanks after sanding, others don't.
__________________________________________________ ______
Sasha

Unless my memory fails me [ a possibility these days ] one of the Orvis unsanded rods was what they called HLS. They also had a rod labeled Westerner, or something close to that. It was supposed to be faster than the rest of the HLS series, apparently the reason behind the name. Would be interesting to compare it to today's fast rods.

imxer

Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

good video
was fishing with a guy once who hauled out an Orvis one weight & asked if I would like to try it. have to say I really enjoyed using the little rod.
Time & place for everything.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
good video
was fishing with a guy once who hauled out an Orvis one weight & asked if I would like to try it. have to say I really enjoyed using the little rod.
Time & place for everything.

I am pretty sure I am going to pick one up (as long as they didn't do away with the 7'6" 1wt). I heard about the new 6' 1wt; although it sounds neat I personally don't like rods that short.

I had the 7'6" 1wt Superfine Trout Bum; however I sold it earlier this year as it sat at home too often.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM

thk is on a distinguished road

I purchased an Orvis Hydros fly rod at the annual Orvis sale last May in Vermont and used it for the first time last week on the Deleware River at the West Branch Angler Resort. To my surprise, with my first catch (12 in Trout), the tip of my rod (four inches from the top) broke off as I brought the fish in for the "catch and release" function. I don't know if anyone has had this problem with this particular rod: 9.5 ft tip flex 9.5 model. I had the Resort send it back to Vt. and will see how they can help me with a repair or replacement. Any performance comments would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:02 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

There is a nice but not in depth post on Orvis's Flyfishing blog about the new Superfine.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Got a friend (that just shipped off to Kuwait for 6 months), and he broke 3 Hydros' this past summer. All towards the tip. If I recall they were 6w's but I'm not positive. So he upgraded to the Helios and hasn't had any problems so far. There seems to be a problem with the Hydros.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mojo, Now that you mentioned it......
I've been surfing the net to much, and it seems many people believe that the Hydros is a Helios with cheaper hardware. I looked at Orvis's website, and they don't seem to make that claim at all. Tom Rosenbauer does say that they took what they learned from the Helios, and incorporated into making the Hydros: CLICK HERE
Take a look at the video in that link for Tom's description of the rod. Tom is holding a 9' 8wt Hydros in that video, and it seems to be marked 3 3/8 oz. That's a full ounce heavier than the Helios, and weight seemed to be the big selling point for the Helios. I've waved around a 9' 8wt Helios at the local Orvis shop, and its light weight is incredible! I should cast one, but I'm too busy gabbing with everyone in the shop.

Anyway.....from what I've read, and based on Rosenbauer's own words, it seems unlikely that Orvis makes a bunch of Helios blanks, and then pulls however many they need to make Hydros rods. Tom's description of the Hydros sounds very much like Sage's comments about taking what they've learned from the Z-Axis Generation 5 technology, and incorporating it into the Sage Flight. That might be true, but the Flight and Z-Axis do not share the same blank.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 PM

achampion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I looked at Orvis's website, and they don't seem to make that claim at all.
From the Orvis website (under "Learn More" of the Hydros rod):
"We use our patented Helios fly rod blank to give you a premium fly rod that’s up to 22% lighter than the top fly rod made by other brands, at a far lighter price of $495 for trout models and $525 for saltwater models."

Seems pretty categorical to me.
-A.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Patyer...after reading all the posts I had to go back and see what your original question was. I have the older model (unsanded) superfine 2 wt, full flex, 6'6". It is seldom cast beyond 20' and is purely a small stream rod. It makes an 8" incher feel REALLY COOL.

Your post confused me a bit because you said "smaller trout streams and possibly for some shad fishing as well"...and here in Nor Cal I can't imagine fishing for American Shad with less than a pretty stout 6wt?

-Mike