The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM

patyer is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Hydros vs. Orvis Superfine rods

I currently have a 6 weight mid flex I'd say but I want to pick up a lighter rod for some of the smaller trout streams and possibly for some shad fishing as well next year. I'm going with Orvis because in my area they are really the only rods I have the option to cast before buying.

I'm thinking of going with a mid to full flex as most of the streams around here that I'll be fishing are small. I got to cast my friends TLS tip flex and it didn't work well at all for me. I'll probably be casting maybe 20-30ft.

Any recommendations, suggestions, things to consider? I know everyone has their preference but just looking for any feedback. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:12 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Orvis Hydros vs. Orvis Superfine rods

I have both a Hydros (4 Weight) and Superfine (2 Weight) and love them both. The Superfine is going to be lighter than the Hydros. The Superfine is the UltraLight line and is more full flex, where the Hydros is going to cast similar to the TLS you tried (mid to tip flex).

Depending on the foliage on the streams, stick with something in the 6'0'' to 7'6" length and depending on the size of the trout/fish you catch, go with the Superfine. I have landed 10" Brookies on my 2 weight and they feel like a 22" on a 5 weight.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 PM

That does help. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either one.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with ghocevar. To me, the Superfines are more for delicate work. They CAN deliver nymphs, but dry flies a beautiful with them.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Great information provided thus far. Although I have not casted the Hydros, I did test the Superfine. If you are looking for a more traditional feel from a rod, I don't think you can go wrong with one. I had probably 30-40 feet of line out with an 8ft 4 with a little effort, so I'll say that 20-30 feet should be no problem at all. This is really a beautiful rod and it's also on sale! Once you decide, let us know what you end up with along with your thoughts.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Depending on which way you go, you may want to hold off a bit. Orvis is discontinuing the Superfine Trout Bum series. They are replacing them with the Superfine Touch and going back to the unsanded blanks.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Sasha

Any idea what they have in store for the HELIOS in 2011?

imxer
Old 08-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I know the new ACCESS. A nice 10' 4 & 5 wt, and some nice 9'6". They are probably the new Trident Matrix line because they are in the $350. range. Oh and it includes a great Saltwater line.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Depending on which way you go, you may want to hold off a bit. Orvis is discontinuing the Superfine Trout Bum series. They are replacing them with the Superfine Touch and going back to the unsanded blanks.
I noticed that with the sale which originally caught my eye. I looked around but couldn't find any info on what the replacement was going to be. What is the benefit of an unsanded blank? I'm looking forward to getting a new setup but I can wait if something better is on the horizon to put into the mix of possibilities. Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Sasha

Any idea what they have in store for the HELIOS in 2011?

imxer

No idea I was more interested in the ultralight stuff.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by patyer View Post
I noticed that with the sale which originally caught my eye. I looked around but couldn't find any info on what the replacement was going to be. What is the benefit of an unsanded blank? I'm looking forward to getting a new setup but I can wait if something better is on the horizon to put into the mix of possibilities. Thanks again everyone.

The old Orvis unsanded blanks were some of the nicest casting rods I have had the pleasure to fish. My 1st fly rod was/is an old Orvis 8'6" Henry's fork unsanded blank. I have cast the original superfines as well.

However everybody likes different things. Some love ultra fast broomsticks and some like wet noodles. I would go cast a few and see which rod suits you the best.

I think I am going to pick up one of the new superfines in a 1wt when they come out. There is not much info on the net about them yet. As a matter of fact I called somebody I know at an Orvis shop to ask about the rod (when can I get one type of conversation). His first words to me were "How did you hear about that rod".