The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By catman
  • 1 Post By docbluedevil
  • 1 Post By mojo
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 10:49 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Orvis Superfine 795 Opinion...

Hi-

Anyone out there own or fish one of these rods? How do they cast and do you feel it is an appropriate rod for a small to medium size streams in VT/northeast?

Thank you,
Seth
Old 06-13-2008, 07:01 PM

Glicky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orvis Superfine 795 Opinion...

Hi Seth,
I own two Orvis Superfine rods.

One is a 4 year old 704-4 Trout Bum which I enjoy very much. Two years ago I was on some tight water near the Swift River in MA. I caught Brookies, Browns & Rainbows. The rod performance was outstanding and has treated me to some great memories. I have used it some in warmwater with equal enjoyment.

My second rod is a 7'9" 2wgt. This is a replacement rod from Orvis. I hope to use it this weekend on warmwater from a float tube.

Hope this helps,
Glicky
Old 06-28-2008, 10:37 AM

catman is on a distinguished road

I own a old Orvis Far & Fine 7'9" 5wt. (0588) on the butt and would not trade or sell it for the world, a great dry fly rig for tight places & nyphs well also. It also throws a 4wt DTF line very well. I hope I NEVER break it, when fishing and walking to spots I guard it with my life, one of the best rods ever put into production and no longer made...
With the newer SuperFines from Orvis I can't comment, but I know lots of people say they are ok.

Mlc
attila likes this.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:54 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Seth,

They are nice rods and cast well for most people. If the rod is for you, you really should try it for yourself. If travel distance is a problem, the nice thing about Orvis is you could order it, try casting it and send it back if you don't like it.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 PM

docbluedevil is on a distinguished road

The Orvis Superfine 7.9 ft 5 wt is one of the finest tapers ever made in graphite; it's so good that I have 4 of them!

Seek this one out in the used market, especially if you're gonna be fishing it in Orvis' backyard. Or PM me, maybe you could convince me to give up one of mine.
attila likes this.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:55 PM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road

Any chance you have an Orvis Superfine in the 3-weight variety you are wanting to part with?

I actually ended up getting one of the newer Superfine Trout Bum fly rods. I picked up the 8' 5-weight; a little stiffer in the butt I think than traditional Superfine rods but I'm planning on using it on medium to large rivers and streams where I may need to turn a larger fish out of some fast current. That said I'm still looking around for a 7 or 7'6", 3-weight in the Superfine flavor.

~S

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbluedevil View Post
The Orvis Superfine 7.9 ft 5 wt is one of the finest tapers ever made in graphite; it's so good that I have 4 of them!

Seek this one out in the used market, especially if you're gonna be fishing it in Orvis' backyard. Or PM me, maybe you could convince me to give up one of mine.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Go to any of the fly fishing forums and type Superfine in the search box. Very highly sought after rods. Especially the older ones. I have a 4w 1oz. that's almost as fun as glass. I break it out once in a while so she doesn't feel neglected. I'll never sell it either.
I agree w/docbluedevil. One of the finest plastic and classic tapers. I've fished Joni's F&F 5w, her older 4w Trout Bum and won't do it anymore. Too much temptation to borrow them on a no return basisEven though they reside in the same storeroom.
Anyone who doesn't like the Superfine series is a lame flyfisher, and they're anti-American!
attila likes this.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesro1978 View Post
Hi-

Anyone out there own or fish one of these rods? How do they cast and do you feel it is an appropriate rod for a small to medium size streams in VT/northeast?

Thank you,
Seth
Seth,

I bought one in 1979 and have landed every thing from Atlantic Salmon, Chinook, King Salmon, Steelhead, to a ten inch Brook Trout with it. I hauled it all over the country strapped to the back of my motorcycle and still use it here in Alaska for large Trout & Char.

If you told me you were going to send me fishing around the world but I can only bring one rod it would have to be my 1979 Orvis 7'9" 5wt. Far & Fine.

I guess that says how I feel about that rod and I own 15 different rigs.

Ard
attila likes this.