The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 PM

tollster is on a distinguished road
Default First Impressions: TFO Finesse 4.0 WT, 7'9"

Brief overview of the TFO Finesse 4WT 7'9": The action is slower than many rods currently in production and still maintains a workable length in tight quarters. I find the action enough to give very acurate overhand cast when the canopy opens up working between 30-40' with 4 weight SA Trout Mastery series XPS/WF and 7.5' tapered leader and 2-3' tippets. It floats the line out very predictably, I have found just a little better line lay using a knotted WF line to leader, combined with a blood knot on the 5x tippets using mostly 14-18 size flies. Roll casting in tight quarters is almost just as effortless as the pole loads early creating fairly tight loops.
Granted this is a step up from my Cabelas Clear creek 5'2" fly rod, so almost anything will seem effortless after using that for 3 years. But none the less I would recommend this to a friend.
Best uses are clear water, small to moderate feeder streams, fish size averaging 6-12", is does have some backbone should you hook into a trophy.
My decision for purchasing this was value and the current customer service, which I have heard is very good, no questions asked return policy on breakage, with a 25 or 30 dollar S&H fee, typically taking less than one week.
The rod is made overseas and comes with a cloth bag, 4 piece design, so a hard case is needed at time of purchase. Its a dark high gloss olive green, rod guides are the snake type for all except the butt guide which is a hoop design and of course the tip, windings are fully laminated with a deep finish. The reel seat is a run of the mill with rose wood inserts and a double lock aluminum nuts with a gun metal finish. It currently runs around 180.00 US dollars.

Last edited by tollster; 09-12-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:17 PM

jakesleakywaders is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Impressions: TFO Finesse 4.0 WT, 7'9"

I've used mine here in PA for 2 years now and it's been a great all around stream rod. No problem slingin' big stoneflies and wollybuggers or small patterns like griffiths knats. Handles larger trout pretty well for a four weight.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:26 PM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: First Impressions: TFO Finesse 4.0 WT, 7'9"

I have TFO's from 1 to 5wt and they all perform quite well for the price. You are right about them having backbone, too. I recently played a 18" rainbow to hand on the 3wt and while I had to be careful with drag on the reel, the rod had enough behind it to allow me to gain on the fish and get it to the net.