The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 AM

scottisko0L is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with a new rod.

ive been fly fishing for about 2 years for mostly trout, and ive only use a browning silaflex 5 wt. ive been using this rod for a while now and it is pretty old and 1 of the eye's is coming unraveled so i was thinking its time to retire this baby.

can u guys give me some ideas on a new rod?

Catch-N-Release Wild Trout ZEROlimit
Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 AM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need help with a new rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottisko0L View Post
ive been fly fishing for about 2 years for mostly trout, and ive only use a browning silaflex 5 wt. ive been using this rod for a while now and it is pretty old and 1 of the eye's is coming unraveled so i was thinking its time to retire this baby.

can u guys give me some ideas on a new rod?

Great bay Rods Winding Brook. Well that is my favorite. To really help you out you really need to go to a bunch of fly shops and cast as many rods as you can, Great bay rods, TFO, Reddington,Echo, Sage, Winston,Scott etc. Someone telling you " this rod is great" is really worthless because it is all a TASTE, and you have to figure out what kind of rod you like! Why dont you tell us what city in California you are in?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 AM

Well im from southern CA in a little town called Norco. my family is really outdoorsy, we hunt and fish. and my grandpa is retired and hes a huge fly fisherman, he has the best life ever, all he does is travel where ever he wants and fly fish. and we have been meeting up with him alot and ive really gotten into fly fishing

Old 06-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Scotti,

It would help if you had a price range. Look at this FAQ post about outfits for a beginner. There is a wide range of rods and prices.

Frank
Old 06-25-2008, 02:57 PM

ahh like 100-180?

Old 06-29-2008, 02:07 AM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road

Scott, it would help to know what kind of fish you mostly fish for, in what size waters (small streams in tight quarters, open streams and lakes, or really large and windy waters); do you mostly fish on the surface? Are you content with the slowish action of that fiberglass Silaflex, or do you sense you'd like a faster rod?

Nowadays there are uniformly good rods in all sizes and price ranges. Once you answer the above questions, it's just a matter of selecting one or more from a plethora of choices. (BTW, I couldn't live with just one fly rod. You'll probably need a range of rods in time. It's now a question of where to start, where to go next, and in how many sizes.)
Old 11-04-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooksack Mac View Post
Scott, it would help to know what kind of fish you mostly fish for, in what size waters (small streams in tight quarters, open streams and lakes, or really large and windy waters); do you mostly fish on the surface? Are you content with the slowish action of that fiberglass Silaflex, or do you sense you'd like a faster rod?

Nowadays there are uniformly good rods in all sizes and price ranges. Once you answer the above questions, it's just a matter of selecting one or more from a plethora of choices. (BTW, I couldn't live with just one fly rod. You'll probably need a range of rods in time. It's now a question of where to start, where to go next, and in how many sizes.)
i like to do alot of somewhat open streams for some trout, but then on occasions ill do some bass fishing with it. and yeah i love the action of my rod.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:14 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottisko0L View Post
i like to do alot of somewhat open streams for some trout, but then on occasions ill do some bass fishing with it. and yeah i love the action of my rod.
If you really like the rod and the only issue is a guide wrap coming undone you could have it repaired. If you can find one, a local custom rod builder would do it for you at a cost of probably $10-15. The rewrap of the guide foot and re-epoxy repair can be done and have you and the fly rod back on the water in ~48-72 hours.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi scottisko0L,

In that price range you won't go wrong with a TFO Pro. Get a 5wt 9' and you can use your same line and reel.

Frank
Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Albright A-5 or Echo Classic. For a few more bucks you could get a St. Croix Avid which is my current favorite rod, especially for dry flies, in my arsenal.