The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Thoughts on TFO rods?

Hi all. I am planning/hoping to build a 6 WT this winter and am curious to hear from those with experience with the TFO rods in that weight. I want a nice fast action rod that is capable of handling a 7 WT line on rare occasion, but isn't a broom stick. The 6 WT that I will be replacing is an old Sage VPS, it was the first rod I built and the blank was cheap. I don't fish it much anymore, it is heavy and too soft.

I am a Sage guy, I have a 2 WT in the SLT series (I think), I love that little rod, and my everyday rod is a 9' 4 WT SPL - I think, maybe I got those mixed up - at any rate, they are nice medium action rods but with backbone as any of you that use Sage rods know.

The 6 WT is an early and late season rod for me, I want something that handles big double nymph rigs, streamers and heavy November Brown trout. I'm sold on adding the extra 6 inches and stepping up to a 9'6".

I really like the old Sage XP. I haven't bought a new rod in years, back when a top line Sage was $550 and that was a lot, now they are in the $700 range. Ouch. Of course a blank is a lot cheaper, but still.

I will of course go cast numerous rods, but I'd like hear some thoughts on the TFO.

Come to think of it, I don't even know if you can get them in blanks.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Thoughts on TFO rods?

dean, I'm really not sure you can get the blanks from TFO. I will offer my opinion on their rods though. This may be just my lack of experience but I have a 5 wt medium action TFO that I rarely use because I bought a fast action rod from Allen Fly Reels. The TFO seems like a great rod but expensive (at least to me). Justin (Allen) was thinking about offering some blanks but I dont know if he ever made arrangements.

Boser
Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Many people love TFO rods. I don't like them at all....their recovery after a cast (not sure if that is the correct term for that "bouncey" feeling) is too slow for me...but I am also used to Sage (and Winston) rods that recover almost immediately......but, that is just my opinion....

If you can find some TFO rods to try, I really encourage you to try them before purchasing the blanks. The only way for you to know if you will like them is to try them as everyone on these forums has a different casting style and experience with a given fly rod and their style might not match your style.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road

You can get blanks from TFO. I just finished building out a blank from TFO. I haven't casted it yet because I forgot to buy a tip top.

I should have it this week and I'll let you know how it is. Keep in mind though that so far my nicest rod is a $60 cabelas kit so I can't really compare it to high end rods.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

I am in the "many people like them but I don't" category. Not that I think that they suck or anything. I have yet to cast/fish one that I like. Everybody is different though so YMMV.....

This is why I believe in trying different rods, getting what YOU like and not worrying what others think.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:28 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I have the "Jim Teeny" 4 wt. TFO. I'm not experienced enough to give you all of the pro's and con's. What the more experienced guys from our club have showed me is that it is fast action (bends more at the tip than down the rod shaft). It is overlined 1/2 wt with a Rio Grand. Most of them really like casting it. So do I.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:22 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

For your application, you may want to build an Axiom. The 6 weight is a fast rod that has good recovery. Compared to the other fast TFO rods, it is not the fastest, but it is the smoothest. I have casted the rod with a standard WF6 floating line (about 160 grains) up to a 225 grain integrated shooting head (roughly an 8.5 weight line.). It didn't have any problems with the grain range.

MP
Old 09-20-2010, 09:05 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Also check out the Dan Craft line of rod blanks too.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:14 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Hey thanks for all the feedback. When I get a chance I will most definitely go cast a few. I was just curious because I have heard / read a lot of good reviews and for the price, well that's hard to beat.

I would love to add a Winston to my arsenal, but I don't know if I can swing that. For the Sage rods, anyone use the VT2? I think that is the only one they offer with the extra 6"...I'm gonna cast a Z-axis too, just in case I hit the lottery! Hell then it'll be a Winston and a Z-axis!

Thanks again everyone!

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Just noticed the Z-axiz vs. ZXL thread...that sounds like my kind of rod, I don't really like the super fast action and rarely try to cast 100'. Guess I better make a date with a bunch of rods...and start saving my pennies.