The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 07:45 AM

Falk65 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Falk65
G-Loomis

Ok my first post here.First a little bit about my self.
I am 42 year old and i live in Iceland and i love fishing and fly fishing is no 1 2 and 3 and i have lot of rivers and lakes here and i fish Brown Trouts Arctic Char and in summer Atlantic Salmon.

Now i hope someone here in this forum can help me because i am new to double handed rods and bought one G-Loomis Stinger GLX 14´for line # 9/10 and have a line on it which seems to be a wrong line it is RIO Outbound #10 and at RIO homepage it is sold as a shooting line for single hand rods.

Anyone here who can advise or know something about lines for spey rods or double handed rods

Best regards
Falk65
Old 07-06-2008, 09:10 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: G-Loomis

You can call Rio and speak to them directly. I guess the big question is how long of a head do you want? Longer head-lines are harder to cast, but you don't have to strip much line in. (This is an advantage when fishing on a river.) With shorter bellies you have to strip more line in - great for fishing stillwaters.

I'd certainly consider the Rio Windcutter Line or the Airflow Delta Spey. They're both shorter-head lines, designed, partly, for newer spey casters.

Skagit lines have even shorter heads and allow you to cast with limited space behind you, but you'll have to do a lot of stripping. They're probably the easiest lines to cast, but because of their fat heads some people feel they make too much noise on the water.

With a 14' foot rod you good also go with a medium head. IMHO, I'd stay away from the long-head lines, at least for now. This site might help you:

Spey Pages - Powered by vBulletin

Randy
Old 07-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Well i have a RIO OutBound on my G-Loomis Stinger 14 ´9/10 and the wight of that taper is 425 Grains.

Today i go to my sportstore and bougt a new RIO Spey AFS OutBound 10/11 with a taper weight of a 640 Grains and i am looking forward to test it this weekend when i go again to River Ranga

Anybody here which have test this Line

Greetings Falk65
Old 07-11-2008, 01:03 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I just ordered an AFS shooting head. The head is 36' feet. I also ordered a Rio Versitip leader.

The AFS also comes as an intergrated line - not a shooting head. It was designed, in part, for softer presentation - not for turning over real big flies.

Another line you might look out are the Rio Windcutter, and the Airflo Delta, both about a 52' head.

I guess you have to decide how much line you want outside you're rod tip before you cast. Also, the longer the head the more room you will need behind you.

Randy
Old 07-11-2008, 01:14 PM

This new AFS Spey Outbond is with shooting head which is 37´long and has a black spot in line where the shooting pont is.I am going early morning to fish a Atlantic Salmon but last weekend i caught 2 Salmons 11 and 13 pounds but was unhappy with the line but i will keep you informed here how this one works and post some pics.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:06 PM

It is so much increase of cast length i got with this heavier shooting line then the former which was to light for the rod.I now easily cast for 45 to 50 yards and longer with powerful body movements.

I got 4 Atlantic Salmons in that trip to River Ytri Ranga and they was all great to fight with but they weight from 5 pounds to 14 pounds

Put some pictures here of the catch

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

very nice landscape and great river

Greetings from Iceland
Falk65
Old 11-04-2009, 06:51 AM

oddurthorri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk65 View Post
in that trip to River Ytri Ranga