The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 05:54 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Thomas & Thomas ES? Info needed, review

I won one of these ES series t&t rods on E-bay for $82. It is a size and weight that I needed so without being able to find out anything except they are about 10 years old I bought it not really knowing. I cast a friends LPS before, and loved it but I know nothing about this ES. I assume it is an entry level option from around 1999. Is this 8.5ft 4 wt worth stringing up and using?
Thanks, Ausablebrown
Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Thomas & Thomas ES? Info needed, review

Hi,

Welcome to the forum,

This may sound a bit flippant but unless it is broken in two places I would say that at the price you paid it is a great fly rod.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-23-2010, 10:59 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thomas & Thomas is not a company like St. Croix (which is a good company), and I don't know whether they would have offered cheapy rods back then.
You can go to their website, and call them for info on the ES rod. They are a small company, and would be able to answer any of your questions. They might even have a catalog listing for the ES that they can share with you. Sounds like a great length and line weight!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

By entry level, it looks like it retailed for about $300; for a Thomas its a "cheapie". It comes with a black plastic tube instead of the fancy blue, and the blank is grey unsanded. The only other mention I could find online was a fly shop listing that said "sold" $175. At $82 not broken in half I think I stole this one! Ill put a little review here when I get it.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

There is nothing cheap about T&T. They are all built in Massachusetts by quality minded people. I know, I used to work next door to their shop ten years ago. I have reviewed their operations three times at different manufacturing sites. They had to move because of lease agreements that ran out on them. I worked for the company that leased one of the buildings to them.
I have seen how they build their rods and how much inspection goes into each one. I have never seen one of their rods priced that low. You got a great deal. If you want to get ahold of them the easiest way is to look at their web site.
I do own one of their rods and love it.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default $300 is not exactly a Bargain Barn Price;

Since this thread has gotten a second lease on life and I have re-read the posts, I am going to add another comment. In the past 4 years I have caught some where between 1 and 300 salmon and a considerable number of steelhead and char, all while using rods that were lower in cost than the "cheapie" 300 dollar T&T our poster is questioning.

I am amazed by the level of suspicion that people have regarding any fly rod that does not retail for over $465.00.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $300 is not exactly a Bargain Barn Price;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Since this thread has gotten a second lease on life and I have re-read the posts, I am going to add another comment. In the past 4 years I have caught some where between 1 and 300 salmon and a considerable number of steelhead and char, all while using rods that were lower in cost than the "cheapie" 300 dollar T&T our poster is questioning.

I am amazed by the level of suspicion that people have regarding any fly rod that does not retail for over $465.00.
See what you mean ArdI love my Quarrow...I got for $50
Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

ab

IMHO any 8.5' 4wt that you get for 82 bucks is worth "stringing up" & trying out
before you dump it. Nice buy.