The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 09:11 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road
Default My new Toy!

Hey All,

I picked up a Sage ZXL 490-4 last weekend while on the San Juan from a local shop that was getting rid of all his Sage stuff (huh?). Because of having a rod stolen last month, he upped the discount to 35% and I got the rod for around 250 off retail! I got a new Lamson Lightspeed 1.5 reel from flyshopcloseouts.com for a little less than 200, so everything ready to go was WAY less than normal retail. Lined it up when I got home from work this afternoon and hit the back yard. Oh my golly gee was all I could think LOL. The whole setup weighs something like 7 ounces or so and it casts like a dream. It's a really laid back rod and suits my "old man" casting style to a "T". My son and I will be going back to the Juan sometime early this week (last weekend was an absolute ZOO), and we'll be posting what will hopefully great news. Here's a pic of my new toy:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (31.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 07-20-2008, 01:36 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: My new Toy!

congratulations! you can find good deals many times if you know when and where to look. and sometimes, it's just meant to be...

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Phil,

Dang, you did good!

You must be healing fast. When will you be back behind the oars? Are you wade fishing now?

Frank
Old 07-20-2008, 04:55 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank!

Believe it or not, I don't even have a surgery consult until this coming Friday. At this rate, I'll probably have the cutting done around Christmas . From what I've read and friends are saying, I should be up and around within a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to get behind the oars as soon as I can.

In the meantime, I'm just taking it easy on myself and doing whatever fishing my son and I are able to do. He's lived with his Mom for several years and we've got a ton of catching up to do! It sure is great having him around. All said and done, I saved right at $350 on my latest set up. I'm a sucker for a deal . I also got James a 5 wt Sage Launch the same day and he'll be using it Tuesday as well when we head back to the San Juan. It sure is cool living within 3 hours of such a nice place. It really is special.

Thanks for checking in on me!

Phil
Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Phil

Congrats on bagging that great setup.......I'm envious!
Post some pics of the San Juan, I haven't been down there for a couple years and sure miss that fishing!

Larry
Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 PM

gvillevol is on a distinguished road

Phil,

Very nice!! I wish I would have gotten mine for that kind of $$. I got mine back in November/December and love it. It is the 8'6" 3wt. with a Tibor Light Spring Creek CL loaded with DT Rio Selective Trout. By far my favorite outfit regardless of the weight.

Nathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pictures1 520.jpg (99.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Pictures1 521.jpg (98.5 KB, 16 views)