The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 04:32 PM

fly84 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice?

Hey guys! I'm relatively new to flyfishing. I bought a cheap outfit (< $150) last year, and have decided to upgrade. I have caught several fish on the outfit, but have decided I'd like to try a new setup. After comparing several reels, I decided on the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock which I've already ordered (seemed impossible to beat for the money). Now, I need to pick out a new rod! I'd like to keep the rod price between $180-250ish if possible! I'm currently trying to decide between the Orvis Clearwater, TFO Finesse, and any others that you guys may suggest. I'm looking for a 8' 6" - 9' 4wt (4pc), med to med-fast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I like the "finish" of the Orvis (carbon reel seat, hardware, and overall appearance), but for some reason I can't get TFO off of my mind! I actually looked at a TFO Finesse and noticed a few "details" that bugged me, such as "creases" in the finish. By this, it appears as though the "wrap" was twisted slightly before it was finalized (I'm not sure of the correct terminology). Has anyone else noticed flaws in the TFOs finish? Perhaps, I just picked up that "one-in-a-million"?! Again, ANY advice on rods or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Other manufacturer recommendations are welcome! Sorry for the novel! :/
Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 PM

NVYDVR1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice?

The best thing to do is to pick out a few that fit your needs and cast them.It would be great if you had some friends with rods you could try on the water.If there is a club in your area , join it,most members would be happy to let you try there rods.I just picked up an Echo carbon 3 weight and I love it,it is in your price range.If your fairly new to fly fishing definitely don't buy without casting first.Good luck.

Larry
Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice?

Can't comment on the inconsistency that you saw.

I highly visiting your local shop and casting a few rods. The one that feels best to you is the one you want.

MP