The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 PM

trapper50cal is on a distinguished road
Default Winston BIIx 5wt 4pc for a Sage XP 590-4 Graphite IIIe B

The title implies, but I will state, that I traded a Winston BIIx 5wt 4 piece (factory built) for an XP 590-4 Graphite IIIe B that my Dad built.

The purpose of this thread isn't really to compare the two...

The Boron is a rod that I, as a Sage guy, just can't get the hang of...too slow. And the Sage represents what my Father thought of as his finest rod building endeavor so it was a no-brainer.

My question is:

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with the aforementioned XP?

How does it compare to the rpl line? or the Launches of the same weight?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston BIIx 5wt 4pc for a Sage XP 590-4 Graphite IIIe B

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper50cal View Post
Does anyone have any opinions or experience with the aforementioned XP?
I owned an XP 590-4 from 2001 until 2007. At the time, I thought that it was the best rod ever designed. It matched my stroke well. I could throw long accurately. I could throw short delicately. It did everything well.

My thoughts changed when I put my hands on a Z-Axis.

Quote:
How does it compare to the rpl line? or the Launches of the same weight?
Compared to the RPL and the Launch, the XP is a much faster rod with a lighter feel. It has more power than both rods to throw larger flies further and more accurately with less work. It has a soft enough tip to present a dry fly more delicately.

MP
Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Compared to the RPL and the Launch, the XP is a much faster rod with a lighter feel. It has more power than both rods to throw larger flies further and more accurately with less work. It has a soft enough tip to present a dry fly more delicately.
MP
You just described the BIIx!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:04 PM

I felt like I had to wait forever for the BIIx to load up on backcast...it was annoying.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:58 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
I felt like I had to wait forever for the BIIx to load up on backcast...it was annoying.
Never quite heard anyone waiting for a BIIX to load up. What you smoking trapper?
The XP isn't that much faster than the BIIX. The way you describe your having to wait for it to load sounds more like a WT or a bamboo rod not a BIIX.
The Winston is a finesse rod anyway- no need to muscle it. But the XP is a fantastic rod too. Just not suited for my style of fishing.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Never quite heard anyone waiting for a BIIX to load up. What you smoking trapper?
The XP isn't that much faster than the BIIX. The way you describe your having to wait for it to load sounds more like a WT or a bamboo rod not a BIIX.
The Winston is a finesse rod anyway- no need to muscle it. But the XP is a fantastic rod too. Just not suited for my style of fishing.
Marlboro Lights, although they are called "Gold Pack" now instead due to a recent court ruling...

I agree entirely that it is a finesse rod...but I think that equates to a slower cast, not just a less forceful one, hence the delay, hence the feeling like it takes forever.

I have certainly never claimed to be a finesse caster, I want my fly on the water, not in the air making pretty loops for me to admire. Not that I mean that as a snarky retort, just the opposite...I'm a utilitarian (albeit, catch & release) flyfisherman.